• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barell ORGAN Pub DIGBETH

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS , IWAS WONDERING wether OR NOT WETHER THE OLD BARRELL
PUB AS BEEN REBUILT BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE AND DID THEY FIND
AND CHARGED ANYBODY FOR THE MURDER OR THE DISAPEAREANCE OF THE IRISH LADY THAT WENT MISSING FROM THERE AS WE DON,T ALWAYS GET THE B,HAM NEWS HERE ITS VERY HARD TO GET THE EVENING MAIL HERE IN OUR VILLAGE IN WORC, I BELEIVE A GUY NAMED
PADDY FINN WAS THE OWNER WHOM BUILT THAT PUB TRADE THERE
HE WORKED DAMMED HARD FOR BUSSINESS
MANY THANKS GUYS , ASTONIAN ,,;;;;

Astonian,
You can always read the Mail online, as with most newspapers, (all the important news anyhow) I very rarely buy papers these days.
Just type in the papers name and voila there you go.

Hi john
many thanks for your reply i will certainly do that
late this evening , john , i hope you don,nt mind me asking but are you
any relation to the knight family that lived down spring hill passage
best wishes astonian ,;;

Hi Lencoo
I Do Beg Your Parden Len You Are Abousley Quite Right
Just Of Lately My Mind Is Slipping Abit Even When I Am At Home I Forget Things
Paddy Finn Turned The Barrel Organ Around And He Did Rename It The Dubliner
So After The Great Fire Has It Been Rebuilt , Any Ideas On The Disapearing Lady
Have They Found Her Have Any-body Been Arrested In This Case ,
Thanks Len For Bringing It To Right With The Name , Best Wishes And Have A Nice Day , But Saying That Its A Day By The Screen With The Cups Of Tea On The Forum , Its To Cold And Slippery Out There .;;;

Hi Astonian, Thanks for your kind words here is a photo of the refurbished Dubliner, i am going to do a bit of digging (no pun intended!) about the ladys death and you are right its brass monkey weather today, stay indoors and keep warm, Cheers, Len.

I was surprised last time I was in the area that it had been renovated after the fire, I thought it would be swept away and another unwanted office skyscraper erected in its place.
I and a few colleagues used it sometimes when we worked at Digbeth - I can remember one of the inspectors (Roy Bliss, if anyone knew him) popping in for a 'quick one' during a quiet spell one evening. Very quick - I timed him at four and a half seconds downing that pint, then asking "Who's had the least - I've got an overload for London, anyone fancy the overtime?"
A tempting offer, but declined.

HI Len
Many Thanks For Your Fast Return Of The Thread ,And For The Cracking
Picture Looks Smart So Nobody Knows About The Missing LADY
I Know There Was AnotherLady ThAT Went Missing FromThe Rainbow Pub
Up The Road FromThere , Previously Before Her The Police Suspect She As
As Been Down And Around By The Bromscrove And The A 38
Many Thanks ASTONIAN;;

Hi Lencoo
I Do Beg Your Parden Len You Are Abousley Quite Right
Just Of Lately My Mind Is Slipping Abit Even When I Am At Home I Forget Things
Paddy Finn Turned The Barrel Organ Around And He Did Rename It The Dubliner
So After The Great Fire Has It Been Rebuilt , Any Ideas On The Disapearing Lady
Have They Found Her Have Any-body Been Arrested In This Case ,
Thanks Len For Bringing It To Right With The Name , Best Wishes And Have A Nice Day , But Saying That Its A Day By The Screen With The Cups Of Tea On The Forum , Its To Cold And Slippery Out There .;;;
Paddy Finn is a drink, do you mean Joe Egan the boxer?

The old Barrel Organ is now called Subside (website at https://www.subsidebar.co.uk/ ) with what seems to be a new ownership (see "The Team" on the site). I haven't been in there since it stopped being the Barrel. There were stories at the time that it was being bought by the company that owned Digbeth Civic Hall to get rid of the competition. It hasn't been a live music venue since.
The fire doesn't seem to have been much of a problem (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/pledge-to-restore-pub-ruined-by-blaze-24631) and it didn't seem to damage the structure of the building much.

Hi Terry18
many thanks for your conformation on my nameing paddy , yes i know paddy for years when i was involved the digbeth pubs
i will not disclose any other information or relate to those yester years
yes there was conflict between certain partys within the digbeth scenes and i beleive there is still today
but i will not dwell any further best wishes Astonian,,,,

As far as I can tell Paddy Finn (who came from Dublin) was only ever owner? / Landlord of "The Dubliner" not the Barrel Organ before it or Subside after. Would that be right? Then again, despite spending all that time in the Barrel, I never really knew the management.

Hi Wamm correct again ,the barrell took off in its first two three years buzzing but it then took a nose dive
down until paddy came on the scene and he himself rekindled digbeth with the dubliner and brought it alive
Astonian,,

Back