• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baines' Dairy Station Road Erdington

Amanda58

knowlegable brummie
Hi I am trying find out any information about the dairy which was on Station Road Erdington. It was run by my brother in laws family. The family name is Baines . I would appreciate any information. My brother in law is due to celebrate his 80 th birthday soon and I am looking to put together any details as a surprise for him. Thank you

Hi I am trying find out any information about the dairy which was on Station Road Erdington. It was run by my brother in laws family. The family name is Baines . I would appreciate any information. My brother in law is due to celebrate his 80 th birthday soon and I am looking to put together any details as a surprise for him. Thank you
hi amanda could you give us the full first name of the baines family and would you have a rough idea of what years the dairy was run by them...we have members who maybe able to help

lyn

Keys directory doe list a George Baines in high St ,Erdington in the 1940s and 50s (and possibly a longer period, but have not looked). But they are listed as bakers and are but one shop in a large number, as seen below from the 1955 Kellys

1955 Kellys.jpg

There is a reference to a photo of Baines dairy earlier in this thread, unfortunately the photo appears to be missing.

Joseph George Baines is listed at 29 Station Road on ERs and 1939 register.

Keys directory doe list a George Baines in high St ,Erdington in the 1940s and 50s (and possibly a longer period, but have not looked). But they are listed as bakers and are but one shop in a large number, as seen below from the 1955 Kellys

View attachment 180328
mike thats why i asked for the first name of the baines family so as not to confuse with george baines the bakers...unless of course they are conected in some way

mike thats why i asked for the first name of the baines family so as not to confuse with george baines the bakers...unless of course they are conected in some way
Thanks for the prompt replies. I am waiting to get the names from my brother in law . His name is Nick but will put other info ASAP

Thanks for the prompt replies. I am waiting to get the names from my brother in law . His name is Nick but will put other info ASAP
Joseph George Baines, dairyman (retail) was listed at 29 Station Road in both the 1901 and 1911 census and the also in the1939 Register. In the 1901, the building is named as Rose Cottage. It was situated opposite the junction with Osbourne Road. He had married Agnes Jay in 1898. Joseph and his family lived there until his death in 1942. Probate records reveal that he died on 6th Sept 1942 at the QE Hospital. Probate was granted to Francis Joseph Baines, his son.29 Station Road, the old dairy.jpg

what a shame numbers 25..23..21 still there but i think no 29 has gone and would have stood round about here on todays streer view but if joseph george baines is amandas family then thats a great piece of info from brasscaster along with a photo of the house..todays st view below 29 i think would have stood on the right corner below

what a shame numbers 25..23..21 still there but i think no 29 has gone and would have stood round about here on todays streer view but if joseph george baines is amandas family then thats a great piece of info from brasscaster along with a photo of the house..todays st view below 29 i think would have stood on the right corner below

When I was younger, it was St Thomas’ youth club. I had been in there a few times in the late 60’s.

Maps showing 29 station road in c1915 and c1950 are below, Joseph George Baines, dairyman is listed there in the directories formA 1900 till 1938 (please remember that this is publication date and probably refers to the year before). In the 1930s by this is listed the St Thomas Association club, which would suggest , looking at the 1950s map, that the diary might have only been the front part of the site

map c1915 showing 29 station road erdington.jpgmap 1950s showing 29 station road erdington.jpg

Thank you for all of your information. I remember it as the St Thomas’s club . I didn’t realise that it was originally the dairy

Thank you for all of your information. I remember it as the St Thomas’s club . I didn’t realise that it was originally the dairy
amanda if you look at the map you will see that the club was at the back of the house

lyn

Maps showing 29 station road in c1915 and c1950 are below, Joseph George Baines, dairyman is listed there in the directories formA 1900 till 1938 (please remember that this is publication date and probably refers to the year before). In the 1930s by this is listed the St Thomas Association club, which would suggest , looking at the 1950s map, that the diary might have only been the front part of the site

View attachment 180332View attachment 180333
Thank you for this information. The names tie in with my brother in laws family. He is trying to find details of his uncle only knows his name was Philip and according to family tales he died in Egypt.

Thank you for this information. The names tie in with my brother in laws family. He is trying to find details of his uncle only knows his name was Philip and according to family tales he died in Egypt.
Amanda, your brother in law's uncle was Philip Austin Baines. Born on 23 June 1906, to Joseph and Agnes and he was living with them at 29 Station Road in the 1911 census. He married Irene Mary King in Birmingham in 1935 Q3. In the 1939 Register the couple lived at 28 Machin Road B23 and he was a milk delivery salesman. During the war he served in the RAF Volunteer Force as a Leading Aircraftman. He died on 4th August 1945 and is buried in the Basra War Cemetery in Iraq. One record mentions that he died of heatstroke in number 29 Indian General Hospital.
I have also attached some newspaper cuttings about Joseph and his dairy. Hope this helps.
Baines news cuttings.jpg

Attachments

• Leading Aircraftman Philip Austin Baines - CWGC Certificate.pdf
    162.8 KB · Views: 7
Amanda, your brother in law's uncle was Philip Austin Baines. Born on 23 June 1906, to Joseph and Agnes and he was living with them at 29 Station Road in the 1911 census. He married Irene Mary King in Birmingham in 1935 Q3. In the 1939 Register the couple lived at 28 Machin Road B23 and he was a milk delivery salesman. During the war he served in the RAF Volunteer Force as a Leading Aircraftman. He died on 4th August 1945 and is buried in the Basra War Cemetery in Iraq. One record mentions that he died of heatstroke in number 29 Indian General Hospital.
I have also attached some newspaper cuttings about Joseph and his dairy. Hope this helps.
View attachment 180339
Thank you

Hi, I came across your post. If its of any use I used to live at 29 Station Road. My mothers maiden name was Baines. The dairy was non functional when I was living there as an infant. I do have some recollections of its history as it was related to me. Message me if you want further details

Back