• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Back to Back House at The Gate, Saltley

suemalings

master brummie
I haven't seen any posts relating to these houses, possibly as you would know know they were back to back from the front as they just looked like a terrace of houses with the front door coming straight onto the pavement. They were on the left side at the end of Addrerley Road near the Gate.

I remember having to visit someone who lived in one of these houses at the back which opened onto the yard. I was driving so it must have been in the early 1970's. The house was a one up and one down. The stairs were along one wall, under the stairs was a sink and cooker. One bedroom upstairs. Three people lived in that house.

I haven't seen any posts relating to these houses, possibly as you would know know they were back to back from the front as they just looked like a terrace of houses with the front door coming straight onto the pavement. They were on the left side at the end of Addrerley Road near the Gate.

I remember having to visit someone who lived in one of these houses at the back which opened onto the yard. I was driving so it must have been in the early 1970's. The house was a one up and one down. The stairs were along one wall, under the stairs was a sink and cooker. One bedroom upstairs. Three people lived in that house.
sue i have personally not heard of a back to back with only one bedroom they were typically i bedroom 1 attic...the one i was born in had 1 bedroom and an attic..however your description sounds like a back to back and the houses on the right of the red line on johns map are certainly back to back houses..in my back to back there was 5 of us...my nan my mom and dad and myself and brother but we moved soon after he was born as it was a tad overcrowded

lyn

This house didn't have an attic. It was pretty grim. The little boy who lived there used to be fostered by my mom and dad but when his mom (and her latest boyfriend) got this house, he went back to live with them. It was just before Christmas I went to visit as I took Christmas presents. My parents had moved from Saltley to Ward End (out in the country!)

Do you mean these?
Is it possible to show that map further down Adderley Road, please? I sometimes use a garage there opposite The Grove by Adderley Park, it’s a single storey building with a flat roof but has very heavy steel reinforcements in its structure. I’ve long wondered about it’s original purpose and whether it once had upper floors.

John.

Park Saw Mills in 1950, if I have the correct building...

0 - Adderley Road.jpg

Not there on the 1890 map but is there by 1903, labelled as Park Saw Mills.

Last edited:

Hi, my Grandmother was born in 1908 and lived at No.12 Gate Street, Saltley in the back-to-back houses you mention (very similar to those at the Black-Country-Museum), her father died in the 1st world war at the Battle of St Julien, Ypres in 1915. From what I understand this was a very poor area, the only benefit of losing your father in the war was receiving a free pair of shoes, I have certainly come to appreciate how hard they had it. I am researching family history for a short family film I am making, if anyone has any images of Gate Steet or the Gate Inn/Saltley Gate (I assume are the same thing) I would love to see them, likewise if I find any family photos of the time I will post them here. Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve welcome to the forum. I think there are a few images of The Gate here:

Maps of Gate street although back2backs are not showing on 1950s map, possibly demolished by then.

Attachments

• gate-st.jpg
    gate-st.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 9
Back