• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auxiliary Fire Service

sheiljoy

knowlegable brummie
Edit. The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed in 1938. It supplemented the work of local brigades. It was superseded in August 1941 by the National Fire Service. Members of the AFS were unpaid part-time volunteers, but could be called up for whole-time paid service if necessary.
...........................................................................................................................

Can any one help me

My father served in the Fire Service in Birmingham in the second world war, all I know is that his job prevented him from going to war and that he was a part time fireman as well. I would like to try and find out about his service at that time, is there any way I can!! At the time they lived in the Saltley/Alum Rock area of Birmingham

Hello Sheiljoy,my Dad was also an auxillary fireman in WW2,I asked the chap from the National Archives at WDYTYA last year about the records.He seemed to think that the Home Office destroyed them! although I'm told there are some records at the central library.
Barb

Hi Barb

Thanks for getting back to me, next time I am in Birmingham I shall take myself off to the Library

Kind Regards
Sheila

Hi Sheiljoy

My Grandad was a part time fire fighter working in the nechells/saltley area , his main occupation was on the railways so he was exempt from call up,

I have tried to find out about the firefighters but so far have drawn a blank, Birmingham Central Library may have something.

Hi Diane

They may have been in the same Fire station as Nechells & Saltley are very close by,you never know.:) If I ever get to the bottom of it I shall let you know what I have found and from where

Kind Regards
Sheila

Hi Sheiljoy

My Grandad was a part time fire fighter working in the nechells/saltley area , his main occupation was on the railways so he was exempt from call up,

I have tried to find out about the firefighters but so far have drawn a blank, Birmingham Central Library may have something.

The Birmingham Library have maps of all the bombing of Birmingham and surrounding areas throughout the Second world War, this must include Birmingham Fire Brigade. You might start here.

Ladywood

Hi Ladywood

Thanks for letting me know that I shall have to book a trip to Birmingham library

Many Thanks
Sheila

Re: World War 2 Fire Service -

I have the first edition of "The Birmingham Auxiliary Fire Service" magazine dated March 1938.

It doesn't give much information, I suppose being number 1 the AFS didn't have much to report.

It is mainly adverts of businesses around Brum and requests for volunteers.

The service was divided up into divisions, they are:

Div 1. Central, Aston. Officer, S.H.Johnson

Div 2. Cotteridge, Northfield, Bartley Green, Selly Oak, Bournbrook, C.V.Miller

Div 3 Handsworth, Harborne, Edgbasto, Quinton. Norman Tiptaft

Div 4. Erdington, Perry Barr, Aston Manor. A. Chatterley

Div 5. Balsall Heath, Bordesley, Kings Heath, Sparkhill, Greet. D.Base

Div 6. Acocks Green, Hay Mills, Yardley, Stechford, Ward End. F. Christophers

I also have a A.F.S badge somewhere, I'll dig it out andpost a picture of it.

Hope this helps

Bob

Bob

Many thanks for that info, as he lived in Saltley at the time I suspect it would have been Central, Aston service he was at.

I would love to see a photo of the badge thanks for that

Sheila

World War 2 Fire Service AFS badge

AFSbadge0001.jpg

This is the link to the AFS badge

Bob

Hi Bob

Many Thanks for the photo, it's fascinating checking this out, with everyone's help I am learning more about it all the time

Sheila

Bob, The information outlining the fire brigade divisions will, I think prove to be, really useful. I shall pass it on to my brother who is quite involved in researching the bombing of Cox Street.
Because of a small change of plan, he spent the night in Edwards Street.
He normally would have spent the night of the 24th of October 1940, in the bomb shelter on the corner of Cox Street and Livery Street. A bomb, from what my father told exploded on or near the corner of Cox and Livery Street. 18 people died, 1 man 4 children and 13 women.
Because my brother spent the night in Edwards Street with an aunt he survived. A quirk of fate.
If my mother had also been with him on that night. I wouldn't be writing this.
All the best.

ladywood

My step-father was in the A.F.S. during the war and spent most of his time based a t the Sparkhill Station in Court Rd. He told many tales of his activities during the war including attending the blitz of both Coventry and Plymouth. The stories encouraged his two step-sons and his son to serve over 50 years in various brigades including Birmingham following the war.

My brother, Edlin Copsey & his friend Vic Kent were in the AFS in Division 6, Ed was in an Essential Works job, Vic was not fit enough for the Armed Services, but they were required to join an ARP Service. more later, Vic formed the Vic Kent chain of hairdressing shops after the war. Len.

Last edited:
My Dad had poor eyesight and was in the AFS,based at Central with Tommy John who was also a city councillor later on.My uncle was on one of the engines on the way to Coventry the night the Swan at Yardley was bombed.He and Dad were also sent down to Plymouth after it was blitzed.
Barb

Anyone remember the name Harry Bagshaw? He was in charge of Sparkhill at one time, was dads best friend. Wife named Dolly, 2 kids Janet & Keith.

This Fire Station in Geraldine Rd. Hay Mills was where my brother Ed Copsey & his friend Vic Kent (Kents Barbers) served in WW2. Len.

Hi,
Been away from the site for ages, working on my forthcoming poetry book! What a gem to return! Especially to see a name I recognise! Harry Bagshaw was a great friend of my dear Auntie Ruby Maddox - chief clerk sites and buildings central and also saw war service! In Birmingham, then at Plymouth. I vaguely remember a face, used to visit a lot when I was growing up and as a young adult. I think Harry was at Auntie Ruby's retirement party - off to check her cards as we speak!

Jan

Hi Jan Hedger. I'm not sure if Harry is still around, but I have a photograph of him when he was best man at my step dads wedding. Can send it if you pm me an e-mail address.

My Father, Harry Bamford, also served in the AFS/NFS during WW2. He was in the Co=op Grocery during the day and served 3 nights each week. He was based at the Baths in Saltley/Alum Rock. He lived in Anthony Road, Alum Rock, so it is possible that they were in the same section. I have a photgraph of a large group in front of a large ivy covered building, but I do not know where it was taken.

Has this thread gone very quiet, I last put in entry in August and dont see any more after mine? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I do also correspond on the Solihull Forum. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Hello Judy,

Threads do sometimes fizzle out having run their natural course. However, if you can post the photograph you have perhaps someone will recognise where it was taken.

Old Boy

My Mother, Elsie Hartley worked on the switchboard of the Central Fire Station during WW2 with her friend Dora Powell. She walked there and back all the way from Witton to go to work.

View attachment 59200Re Fire Station
My Grandfather William Pegg was a fireman at the central fire station during the war.They lived in one of the flats.My mother remembers the air raids and seeing the bombs falling as her mother grabbed her in her arms and ran across the station yard to seek shelter in the stations underground chambers. As the air raids were happening every evening ,the families set up beds and went down at dusk each night.My mother said she felt very safe down there.The station was hit one night by bombs hitting the four corners of the station.
To lighten spirits among the fire fighters & families the women formed a concert group and entertained in the ballroom ,My grandmother sang. I was delighted to see the pictures on the forum
Annie
To add to this post Williams father was also a fireman for the city fire brigade. He lived in the Duddeston area. I have a silver medal of his dated 1910.His name is cast onto the front and it is engraved on the back does anyone know what this was for. He was 32 at the time and worked in the brigade untill retirement.

Some clarification of terminology:

Originally all boroughs had their own fire brigade - hence City of Birmingham Fire Brigade. As the possibility of WW2 loomed, with the knowledge that aerial bombing would impose a huge strain on brigades, the Auxiliary Fire Service was established in the late 1930s as a part-time supplementary fire service to be trained and then called upon as needed. Eventually c 1941, to simplify administration and enable the immediate redirection of men and machines to wherever they were needed, the AFS was merged with all local fire brigades to form the National Fire Service (NFS). After WW2, local fire brigades re-emerged, although, as with the police, the tendency has been to cover larger areas - hence the present West Midlands Fire Service.

This is the photograph of my father, HARRY BAMFORD, who is 6th from the left on the back row. As I said in previous message, I do not know where this was taken, but he was based in the Saltley/Alum Rock area and I think he was at Norton Hall. Hope that a few more people can be identified from this photo, and I would be interested to find out where it was taken. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

View attachment 58369

Hi Folks.

Regarding enquires about tha AFS during WW2 I've been in touch with West Midlands Fire Service and have been given the following information.

Information from [email protected]

He kind sent a reply to say that most of the AFS records were handed back to Birmingham Council but he understands that they were all destroyed.

He said that WMFS Heritage Society have some records and would try and assist with your enquires and has invited interested people to contact him on the above E-mail address.

Happy Hunting Ray

Hi to all you looking at the AFS/NFS. It has been a month now since I posted the photograph of the Group of Firemen, which included my father Harry Bamford. Sorry there doesn't appear to be anyone who has found a relative in the photograph, but perhaps the right people aren't looking? I do hope someone will look at the photograph, click on it and see it much larger and then perhaps see some long lost relative, friend or neighbour. Dad lived in the Alum Rock area and was stationed in Norton Hall I believe. He was working in the Co-op Grocery during the day, then had 3 nights on fire duty and 3 nights off. Do hope the photograph is of interest to someone who logs onto this thread. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford),

Back