• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Village

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
A lovley photo of Aston Village. Courtesy Maria Twist/ Birmingham Central Library. 1868.

Attachments

• Aston Aston Village 1868.jpg
    Aston Aston Village 1868.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Demolition of Westbrook House in Aston Village, dating back to the 15th century. Presumably there’s photographic records held by the museum as part of their detailed recording of the building.Viv.

BF960829-CA24-4400-95AE-723C9DCC7115.jpeg

If that house in the photo is where I think it was, then I have a vague memory of its being a doctor's surgery, maybe in the early 1950's. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise, please?

G

Hi Lyn,

thanks for the heads-up re: the other thread - no, I don't think I've seen it, but some really good photos from way back when.... I used to walk my girlfriend from our house in The Broadway down to Aston Station, and usually had a swift half in the Aston Hotel on the way home.

Re: Westfield House, I have a very shadowy memory of my mother taking me there to see a doctor, when our own Dr Rosenfield in Bevington Road was away. Unfortunately, I can't remember the doctor, or his name.

Also regarding Westfield House, my parents were good friends with one of the churchwardens at Aston, and I can remember him telling us that the house was a lot older than it looked from the outside; I think he said it was originally built during the reign of Henry VII or the VIII. But that's only heresay, of course.

G

hi G thanks for those memories...i thought you had missed that thread...i cant be sure but i think the name of the doctor at westfield house is on that thread somewhere if not i will ask a mate of mine whos mom used to clean for him

all the best G

lyn

A view of Aston Village in 1827 from Graphic Illustrations of Warwickshire. Not sure about this but think the 3 low structures to the right of the church must be the gateway to Aston Hall - now demolished.

Viv.

247E3896-FDB9-4B2F-AA3C-0AAEA426A147.jpeg

The gateway in 1941 from Historic England.

37E7D96C-8974-498D-8012-B5B94F203076.jpeg

The meandering River Tame broadens out in the foreground, possibly where Aston Reservoir is now ? If so the point from where the illustration was drawn could be close to Spaghetti Junction.

Hard to imagine it. Thanks Pedro.

There’s a building behind the trees (red dot). Initially I thought it was probably a farm as there’s a cart and livestock or horses (?) nearby. But it seems to have a decoration on the apex of the roof. Is it something more significant ? It’s quite close to the river too. Viv.

5B174D42-95A1-494E-A858-7C7141C51751.jpeg

A shot in the dark but could the building be a mill or an early pumping station ? Or something completely different ? Viv.

If you imagine being in Aston Hall, looking toward the building, past the Church. That building would be quite picturesque by the riverside. Maybe it was a farmhouse, or even a barn tarted up to make it look like part of the Estate. A bit like a Foll
y

A shot in the dark but could the building be a mill or an early pumping station ? Or something completely different ? Viv.
It looks like there are two mill races cutting across the bend in the river Tame, one from north to south and the other west to east. I think it makes a mill a possibility.

Back