• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Village - location or building?

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings,
I'm looking at a bit of distant family history and have found a relative in the 1861 Census listed at 'Aston Village', in Aston Manor, Birmingham.
She is a lady called Charlotte Busby, shown to be a servant at this location.
The previous location on the census is Pump House.
So I wondered if Aston Village is a location or a building, as in Aston Village Hotel or similar.
If anyone wants to look at the Census page itself its reference is Class: Rg 9; Piece: 2185; Folio: 38; Page: 31; GSU roll: 542932.
I have looked at previous posts on here regarding Aston Village which seem to suggest it is a location, but I thought I'd check.
Thank you.

There are 121 people listed under the address Aston Village in 1861 and if the man listed at the Pump House is Abraham Spencer then it appears it was on Church Lane and he was a grave digger, so not for from St Peter's and St Paul's possibly.

There are 121 people listed under the address Aston Village in 1861 and if the man listed at the Pump House is Abraham Spencer then it appears it was on Church Lane and he was a grave digger, so not for from St Peter's and St Paul's possibly.
Thanks for your response, but it was Charlotte Busby I was interested in, a Servant at 'Aston Village'. Was she simply a servant living in the area of Aston Village, or was she a servant at an address called Aston Village?

The bit about Abraham Spencer was just to give an indication of the area.

That there are 121 people with the address listed as Aston Village in 1861 would indicate the former, that she was a servant of Thomas Smith at a property in the area of known as Aston Village. Which with Pedro's info as well was probably close to the church.

As MWS says Charlotte is a servant employed by Thomas Smith In the area known as Aston Village and is in Church Lane on the 1880 ish map below. Close to the Pump House on the Census is the Vicarage and the Aston Tavern as shown.

90DAF600-87FC-456E-92F8-D69C2E423C8E.jpeg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Not necessarily the same one, but in the 1862 Birmingham Corporation directory (the actual date is somewhat dubious) lists a Thomas Henry smith, engraver at Bread St , but with residence listed as Aston village

Back