• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Roll of Honour 1914 -1918

This wonderful ASTON Roll of Honour is a tribute to all of OUR local boys sadly lost,

Our Thanks to compiler John Colin & to John Houghton, brilliant post,,
Thanks & best regards John Y

Thank you all for the list but l have an addition....my gt uncle John Bertram Barr b27.11.1889 d 20.10.1917 in Belgium....his name is on the honour list at Aston Church.....Brenda

Hi John: Thanks for posting the Aston Honour List. My Uncle William Venville who died on the 8th September 1915 in France is missing from the list. John was going to add him but it never happened. Uncle Bill is also on the honour list at Aston Parish Church. The family lived at 121 Wyrley Road, Witton

Good post, well done the two Johns'

How sad to see so many sets of brothers killed, I counted twelve.with ages so young.

Nick

Also how some streets had heavy losses , I noticed Cromwell St lost 16, and Hatchett St 11

Last edited:
Send me details of any one missing from the list and I will see if I can load them in to the files please include as much information as possible thank you
John H

Thank you so much for that John and John have just read through the names and there is one of interest to Pete. That must have taken some doing?. Jean.

Very well done and thank you. My grandad's cousin Albert Baker, from 31 Burlington Street, is there. I've walked the ground where he was killed and gazed at his name on the Menin Gate Memorial many a time.

Thanks John,
My Grandfather, Arthur Bath of 19 Holland Road is on the list. Killed in 1917. My dad was 11 at the time.

I thought I had posted this yesterday but it appears lost in the ether!

It would be interesting to know the basis of the information in the Roll. I suspect CWGC but were other sources used? I suspect the list is an under-statement of Aston deaths by some margin. For example I have 221 Royal Warwicks deaths with an Aston connection in my Warwicks database. I have surveyed the roll from the start to Byfield A.H. 30 of my Royal Warwicks correlate but I have an additional 12; these appear to have derived from my newspaper sources where CWGC has no next of kin details.

You would have to get in touch with John Colin as he did the research quite a few years ago

Back