• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

OK - I was working from the old list to save downloading it again. Will keep doing a few. If we duplicate it doesn't matter.
I don't know all the Aston roads so if I find a possible I will post it.

OK - I was working from the old list to save downloading it again. Will keep doing a few. If we duplicate it doesn't matter.
I don't know all the Aston roads so if I find a possible I will post it.
Sorry, it does feel like a bit of a moving feast! I am grateful for your continued work. The new listing details where I think we might have a duplicate with someone else on the Memorial so that the ones we are chasing are clearer. I shan't be doing any updates for a while as I am focusing on working with the Church to get this publicised through their website. But I will let you know if I do find anyone else, so you don't waste your time.

I think A Tomlin might be on CWGC as Charles (there is a birth reg in 1888 for an Albert Charles mmn Warwood). 1901 census has Charles A Tomlin living with parents Thomas and Ellen (nee Warwood) at Berners Street. In 1911 he was n the army and his mother lived in Gower Street - is this a connection?
1644943714847.png
In 1897 when his sister was baptised they lived at 10 ct 3 house Wheeler Street.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone. I've been a reader of the forum on and off for years, but have never posted, so I hope this is a topic of interest.

I've spent many hours researching the names of the war dead listed on the WW1 Memorial located within the Church (not to be confused with the memorial for the 8th Batallion RWR). I have the support of the Parochial Church Council in joining this, and the overall aim is to publish a commemorative book to sit alongside the Memorial.

Of the 618 names on the Memorial, I have fully identified 523, and partially identified another 16 (just an Aston address missing). The details can be found on a website I've created at AstonWW1Memorial.com. Whilst I am very confident that the details are correct, I would welcome any feedback on possible errors, and I am particularly interested in finding out details of 79 names I've been unable to trace, although some of them are duplicates or are unlikely to be untraceable for other reasons.

All help will be gratefully received. The more complete the information, the better the commemorative book will be.
Many thanks
Ann
Hi you have created a very interesting list for the Memorial.

You have 4 people recorded with the name MAULL, three of them are my great uncles detailed as Frederick Alfred MAULL and James Henry MAULL. See attached news paper cutting. I have the original photographs also attached of the three that died if any one is interested.

I am doing some research on the 'T K MAULL Unable to trace. May be a duplicate of T H Maull.' But as you say it could be a duplicate but if not he is is potentially related to the other MAULL's.

I will let you know if I am successful

Mike

Attachments

• 1918-09-21_Evening Dispatch_MaullBrothers.jpg
    1918-09-21_Evening Dispatch_MaullBrothers.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • James Henry Maull-2.jpg
    James Henry Maull-2.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Frederick Alfred Maull - 2.jpg
    Frederick Alfred Maull - 2.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Thomas Henry Maull-1.jpg
    Thomas Henry Maull-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
Good afternoon everyone. I've been a reader of the forum on and off for years, but have never posted, so I hope this is a topic of interest.

I've spent many hours researching the names of the war dead listed on the WW1 Memorial located within the Church (not to be confused with the memorial for the 8th Batallion RWR). I have the support of the Parochial Church Council in joining this, and the overall aim is to publish a commemorative book to sit alongside the Memorial.

Of the 618 names on the Memorial, I have fully identified 523, and partially identified another 16 (just an Aston address missing). The details can be found on a website I've created at AstonWW1Memorial.com. Whilst I am very confident that the details are correct, I would welcome any feedback on possible errors, and I am particularly interested in finding out details of 79 names I've been unable to trace, although some of them are duplicates or are unlikely to be untraceable for other reasons.

All help will be gratefully received. The more complete the information, the better the commemorative book will be.
Many thanks
Ann
Hi

Having scanned through the list it is disappointing to see that another great uncle of mine is not listed for some reason, his name was Frederick Hicks, my grandfathers brother or could this be one of the names you have been unable to trace?

Mike

Attachments

• Arras Memorial-Registration.JPG
    Arras Memorial-Registration.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 9
  • HICKS_FREDERICK Certificate.pdf
    271.1 KB · Views: 3
Am I right in assuming that the names on the internal memorial would have been nominated by relatives of those killed, and maybe that they would be limited to the Church of England religion ?

And would that also apply to the external monument to the 8th Warks. ?

Am I right in assuming that the names on the internal memorial would have been nominated by relatives of those killed, and maybe that they would be limited to the Church of England religion ?

As far as I know, my great uncle Frederick Hicks would have been Church of England, he was baptised at St Clements church, Stuart Street, Nechells. As for being nominated by the family, that would seem a bit unfair if they had no family for one reason or the other. Just a shame he is not on the list :-(

I agree, and so begs the question as to whether there are other Aston memorials for those killed in the Great War. Maybe a thread could be created for those from Aston who do not appear to have had recognition. We have now seen two on this thread.

Last edited:
Hi

Having scanned through the list it is disappointing to see that another great uncle of mine is not listed for some reason, his name was Frederick Hicks, my grandfathers brother or could this be one of the names you have been unable to trace?

Mike
Hi Mike
All of the names on the listing are the ones on the Memorial - non have been omitted. The names are those put forward by relatives or friends, so yes, there are a great number of men from Aston who don't appear on this Memorial. My own interest started when I was looking for my great uncle Joseph Hartley, who although living within 1/2 mile of the church, isn't on the Memorial.
Others in this thread have been doing a lot of work on others in Aston who died. Aston lad in particular has, I believe, around 1000 names, but on an initial look I can't see him thre either.
Ann

The names in the memorial book for the 8th Batallion RWR are, as far as I am aware, an official listing from the regiment.

Hi you have created a very interesting list for the Memorial.

You have 4 people recorded with the name MAULL, three of them are my great uncles detailed as Frederick Alfred MAULL and James Henry MAULL. See attached news paper cutting. I have the original photographs also attached of the three that died if any one is interested.

I am doing some research on the 'T K MAULL Unable to trace. May be a duplicate of T H Maull.' But as you say it could be a duplicate but if not he is is potentially related to the other MAULL's.

I will let you know if I am successful

Mike
Dear Mike
I am working with the Church to do a significant publicity piece on the Memorial. We are keen to write a number of accounts of the lives of some of the men on the Memorial, with the hope being we can collect more accounts to build a bank of them. Would you be interested in us doing one of these accoutns about your uncles?
Ann

I think A Tomlin might be on CWGC as Charles (there is a birth reg in 1888 for an Albert Charles mmn Warwood). 1901 census has Charles A Tomlin living with parents Thomas and Ellen (nee Warwood) at Berners Street. In 1911 he was n the army and his mother lived in Gower Street - is this a connection?
View attachment 167451
In 1897 when his sister was baptised they lived at 10 ct 3 house Wheeler Street.
Thank you for this. It certainly is a possibility, and I'll do my usual digging, following up from what you've already done, to see. I'll let you know.
Ann

View attachment 167451
Having looked at this now, it definitely is the right family. His sister Nellie is on the Personal Effects record; she is with him in the 1901 census, and her marriage to Clement Bowles was in Aston. I have decided to include him, so thank you. But it probably won't be for a couple of weeks, as I accumulate more changes to do the update of the website.

No worries. Glad to help. Did wonder if the L C Tomloin is the same person with L written instead of A.
Will try some more sleuthing this afternoon if I can.

Dear Mike
I am working with the Church to do a significant publicity piece on the Memorial. We are keen to write a number of accounts of the lives of some of the men on the Memorial, with the hope being we can collect more accounts to build a bank of them. Would you be interested in us doing one of these accoutns about your uncles?
Ann
Hi Ann

I could certainly give it a go, is there a format or an example I could use as inspiration, a template or to get an idea of what you are thinking. I am a bit of a family history bore/addict so I know a bit about these great uncles.

L C Tomlin is in my opinion Charles Leonard Tomalin born Aston 1892, lived in Badby, died 20/04/1917 reg number 41472
I think it is a possibility. Having done all my checks the only association with Aston I can find is his birth. As far as I can see his 'parents' John W and Clara never left Badby. It is possible he was born to a family member in Aston, and sent to live with them, but without getting his birth certificate we wouldn't know. I agree there are no other candidates, so I will include for now.

Hi Ann, I think I may have found your S B J Webb (without the B ), Samuel James Webb 836436 and 3045 died 21/09/1917, aged about 21, lived at 6 Holly Grove Catherine Street with his mother Emma, been unable to find either on the census as to yet, but have found Emma living there on a couple of electoral rolls..

He is on the pension record as Samuel Joseph Webb,
1645281780341.png
1645281806083.png
On 1901 and 1911 census as living in Tipton.
Parents seem to have married at St Laurence's Aston.
Effects reg only lists Mother Emma - I can't link him to Aston.

Last edited:
I think it is a possibility. Having done all my checks the only association with Aston I can find is his birth. As far as I can see his 'parents' John W and Clara never left Badby. It is possible he was born to a family member in Aston, and sent to live with them, but without getting his birth certificate we wouldn't know. I agree there are no other candidates, so I will include for now.
The Charles born and reg in Aston seems to be the
1645283019229.png
In 1901 the family are at Vicarage (??) Road listed under Aston Manor area .
1645283226121.png

Question - is this the right person?

Last edited:
Ta Janice , you are a star, I only checked the census for Aston and Birmingham, I did see Samuel Webb date and place of birth on BMD site but I never followed that through....The person I want to find the most off the list is J Graseton which as to be mis-spelt... John

I can't read this as it is on fold3
1645283490451.png
However I am not sure he was killed in the war.

So that leaves us a puzzle.

Ta Janice , you are a star, I only checked the census for Aston and Birmingham, I did see Samuel Webb date and place of birth on BMD site but I never followed that through....The person I want to find the most off the list is J Graseton which as to be mis-spelt... John
I agree about Graseton. There are several like that.

Back