• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

AnnieH55

master brummie
Good afternoon everyone. I've been a reader of the forum on and off for years, but have never posted, so I hope this is a topic of interest.

I've spent many hours researching the names of the war dead listed on the WW1 Memorial located within the Church (not to be confused with the memorial for the 8th Batallion RWR). I have the support of the Parochial Church Council in doing this, and the overall aim is to publish a commemorative book to sit alongside the Memorial.

Of the 618 names on the Memorial, I have fully identified 523, and partially identified another 16 (just an Aston address missing). The details can be found on a website I've created at AstonWW1Memorial.com. Whilst I am very confident that the details are correct, I would welcome any feedback on possible errors, and I am particularly interested in finding out details of 79 names I've been unable to trace, although some of them are duplicates or are unlikely to be untraceable for other reasons.

All help will be gratefully received. The more complete the information, the better the commemorative book will be.
Many thanks
Ann

Last edited:
There is a Barnett Private A N°7141 listed as missing for the Sherwood Foresters in the Birmingham Daily Post of 5 February 1915, but no mention of residence.

There is a Corrigan J, Birmingham, of the Oxford and Bucks reported Wounded In the 28 June 1916 Birmingham Daily Post.

My grt uncle John Bertram Barr is on the memorial, his parents Thomas and Teresa Barr had already died but he resided with Wm Joseph Barr (my grandfather) at Park Road.

My grt uncle John Bertram Barr is on the memorial, his parents Thomas and Teresa Barr had already died but he resided with Wm Joseph Barr (my grandfather) at Park Road.
Thank you Brenda, that's really helpful. This is the information I hold for him:

Born Aston, in 1889, lived Lichfield Road. Confirmed 1891 census, mother already a widow. (Used this address). 1901 census in orphanage. 1911 census at RHA Barracks, Farnborough.

Do you know when he was living with Joseph, and what relation was he to him?

Many thanks
Ann

There is a Corrigan J, Birmingham, of the Oxford and Bucks reported Wounded In the 28 June 1916 Birmingham Daily Post.
Thanks for the heads-up. It looks from his service record that he was wounded on 7 June, but survived, certainly until 1920 at least. So, not the man I think, but I do really appreciate you sending me this.
Regards
Ann

There is a Barnett Private A N°7141 listed as missing for the Sherwood Foresters in the Birmingham Daily Post of 5 February 1915, but no mention of residence.
Again, thank you for this. It appears he survived, being discharged January 1922 on a disability pension.
Ann

Thanks for the heads-up. It looks from his service record that he was wounded on 7 June, but survived, certainly until 1920 at least. So, not the man I think, but I do really appreciate you sending me this.
Regards
Ann
Probably not the right man, but the date of the paper was the 26th of June and so the injury date would have earlier. Many of course were sent back to the front. I will check the other names later.

I've found an address of 12 Park Street for James Burns on his pension record (Worcester 10th Battalion). Awarded to his wife Annie Eliza Burns dob 24.6.1860. He is also on the CWGC with a different address, here's the snip

1644266104191.png

Last edited:
Ann, my g/father Wm J Barr was the oldest of 6 boys he was only 14 when his mother died but tried to keep the family together...4 of them went to an orphanage but as soon as they were old enough my g/father got them out to live with him, John was the youngest, their mother Teresa Barr d 1895. and their father Thomas d 1890 another brother James was also in the same regt as John was wounded but died of his wounds some time later Brenda

This appears in the 21 December Birmingham Daily Post concerning Midland casualties… G Fulford.

View attachment 167177
Thank you! There had been too many G Fulford's in Aston to identify, but this gives me what I needed. I have found him! Mother Mary Ellen Fulford from the pension record. I will need to do some digging to find them in the census. I will give you an appropriate acknowledgment for your help.

Thank you! There had been too many G Fulford's in Aston to identify, but this gives me what I needed. I have found him! Mother Mary Ellen Fulford from the pension record. I will need to do some digging to find them in the census. I will give you an appropriate acknowledgment for your help.
It is not needed, glad to have been a help.

Ann, my g/father Wm J Barr was the oldest of 6 boys he was only 14 when his mother died but tried to keep the family together...4 of them went to an orphanage but as soon as they were old enough my g/father got them out to live with him, John was the youngest, their mother Teresa Barr d 1895. and their father Thomas d 1890 another brother James was also in the same regt as John was wounded but died of his wounds some time later Brenda
Thank you for the information, it is always lovely to put people in context. I found them all together with their mum in 1891, and have found William J at 166 Park Road in 1911. Given this place must have meant so much to them, I will change the address in my listing to Park Road. I will acknowledge your help appropriately, thank you.

I've found an address of 12 Park Street for James Burns on his pension record (Worcester 10th Battalion). Awarded to his wife Annie Eliza Burns dob 24.6.1860. He is also on the CWGC with a different address, here's the snip

View attachment 167188
With lots of J Burns about I was being strict about making sure he lived in Aston, and with lots to follow The address on his pension record is, of course, ASton, so I feel comfortable using it. Thank you again.

What a admirable project, when I first saw this memorial I couldn't quite believe the number of casualties from Aston and the third soldier on your list epitomizes the senselessness of wars that are mostly the result of politicians' egos and their reckless ambitions: Percy Alcock, died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, no known grave, aged just 17. I wonder where life would have led him?

“It is understood that sometime after the first World War, probably in 1919/20, Aston parishioners and others associated with Aston were invited to submit names to the Church for inclusion on a Memorial to honour the fallen. Whilst the details leading up to the erection of the Memorial appear to be unknown, including who designed the memorial or inscribed it, the memorial stands as a testament to those who died.”

Puzzling that no evidence has been discovered. At first glance there doesn’t seem any coverage in the Press.

Report from Birmingham Daily Gazette of the 5th the unveiling of the memorial to the 8th Battalion…

04111543-B074-4EA3-8DE8-40B2C55A4640.jpeg

Report from Birmingham Daily Gazette of the 5th the unveiling of the memorial to the 8th Battalion…

View attachment 167201
It is good to see a write up on the cenotaph, and it is surprising I can't find anything on the internal memorial. As a matter of interest, how do you access your newspaper sources - I have been paying to do this, and still can't get at some of the publications. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place?
It is interesting the numbers of casualties for the Battalion mentioned for 1st day of the Somme, as there are some wildly misleading figures quoted.

View attachment 167188
Hi there. I have been trying to trace the pension record you refer to, but can't find it. Could you possibly please give me the ful reference for the source you have found - it might help me to locate it.
Many thanks
Ann

Hi there. I have been trying to trace the pension record you refer to, but can't find it. Could you possibly please give me the ful reference for the source you have found - it might help me to locate it.
Many thanks
Ann
Hi AnnieH55, I found it on Fold3, here's the link

Hi AnnieH55, I found it on Fold3, here's the link

Thanks. I can't see this file as I don't have a subscription to Fold3. But I have access to the summary of that record as I have Ancestry access, and it gives me the information I need to cross-reference, and I'll use the address you've seen. So thank you again, another bit of detail added to the picture!
Ann

Hi Ann, I have been search through some of my old data disc's and may have found around half a dozen names that may be the ones you are looking for, Viewing your list some of the names on there don't exist, I wonder in the church archives is a written list of the names which you could check against, I do believe that some of the surnames could be mis-spelt, also do you know what the link is between the church and the men named, cos I have found one that lived in Surrey, anyhow I will list the names I have found, I did find more but could not find an address for them so I have left them off
Thomas Clarke 2799 aged 29 died 10/05/1915 wife Lavinia 4/155 Cromwell Street
Alfred Cole 3182 aged 20 died 01/07/1916 39, Francis Street
Alfred Cole 8976 aged 21 died 28/07/1916 13 Guest Street
William Corrigan 15584 aged 26 died 20/04/1916 11 bk Cromwell Street ( had a brother named James or John )
George Fulford 4787 died 27/11/1916
James Graham 9599 died 14/07/1916
John Graham A/1382 aged 27 died 18/09/1916 wife Kathleen 30 Ashted Row
Frank Homer 36341 aged 18 died 01/06/1918 68 Gravelly Hill
Dixon George 16358 died 03/05/1917
Ernest Albert Tranter 5960 aged 17 died 09/10/1916 8 Prospect Place Holborn Hill
Samuel Ignatius 15549 aged 19 died 03/09/1916 Church Lane Aston

Hope they are some help to you

John

Hi Ann, I have been search through some of my old data disc's and may have found around half a dozen names that may be the ones you are looking for, Viewing your list some of the names on there don't exist, I wonder in the church archives is a written list of the names which you could check against, I do believe that some of the surnames could be mis-spelt, also do you know what the link is between the church and the men named, cos I have found one that lived in Surrey, anyhow I will list the names I have found, I did find more but could not find an address for them so I have left them off
Thomas Clarke 2799 aged 29 died 10/05/1915 wife Lavinia 4/155 Cromwell Street
Alfred Cole 3182 aged 20 died 01/07/1916 39, Francis Street
Alfred Cole 8976 aged 21 died 28/07/1916 13 Guest Street
William Corrigan 15584 aged 26 died 20/04/1916 11 bk Cromwell Street ( had a brother named James or John )
George Fulford 4787 died 27/11/1916
James Graham 9599 died 14/07/1916
John Graham A/1382 aged 27 died 18/09/1916 wife Kathleen 30 Ashted Row
Frank Homer 36341 aged 18 died 01/06/1918 68 Gravelly Hill
Dixon George 16358 died 03/05/1917
Ernest Albert Tranter 5960 aged 17 died 09/10/1916 8 Prospect Place Holborn Hill
Samuel Ignatius 15549 aged 19 died 03/09/1916 Church Lane Aston

Hope they are some help to you

John
Dear John
That is wonderful- thank you. It will take a little while to go through them, but I'll let you know how I get on. Today I received from a different source John Graham - it is definitively the right one, as I was sent a photo of his descendent besides the Memorial in the church. And George Fulford was provided by Pedrocut from this site.
I agree that there are mis-spelt names, and indeed some which I think are duplicates (although where this is the case I have said this in the listing). The Church has absolutely no records about the memorial.
I am so encouraged by the feedback I am getting, and I know we are collectively goign to make a bid dent in the currently untraced names.
Many thanks again.
Ann

Back