• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

Hi yes the goden cross later bcame Oreillys and it was taken over and bought by mr Oconner whom owns alot of pubs around the country and as far as i know he still does own the pub at the cross he also bought the tower ballroom he as loads of pubs even in digbeth he used to own the blarney stone pub in the city ; which is now been replaced by that big white dome of a building ; astonian

topsy you wouldnt believe the things i got up to growing up in villa st lol...

john i dont remember that chippy but glad you do and you are right..these pics are a treasure to have...
just sorting the next lot out for posting.
lyn

Last edited:

Lyn . The gordon st pic shows my friends house . She lives in Aussie now. I must send it to her.

oh topsy thats great and yes you must send it to your friend and any others she make find of interest...

lyn

few more...

gerrard st

image.jpeg

grange road

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

hartington road

image.jpeg

holborn hill

image.jpeg

villa match day

image.jpeg

hunters road

image.jpeg

hunters road showing st marys convent

image.jpeg

hunters road at wills st

image.jpeg

hunters road

image.jpeg

hunters road...site of the county boundry

image.jpeg

hunters road with the convent on the right

image.jpeg

hunters road at the corner of nursery road

image.jpeg

king edward grammar school

image.jpeg

lichfield road..next to aston station

image.jpeg

lichfield road

image.jpeg

lichfield road

image.jpeg

lichfield road

image.jpeg

lichfield road

image.jpeg

lichfield road

image.jpeg

lovers walk

image.jpeg

lovers walk

image.jpeg

lozells road...pretty sure this was the old police station..

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

lozells road

image.jpeg

park lane

image.jpeg

park lane

image.jpeg

park road

image.jpeg

phillip st off newtown row..think this is inkerman house going up

image.jpeg

phillips st

image.jpeg

Lyn these photo's are amazing thank you so much for your time and effort in putting them on the forum for us all to see...xx

More great photos, Lyn. You're a treasure! But doesn't it all look run-down and scruffy and litter-strewn, especially Lozells Road? Seems that the general population were as untidy then as now.

The photo of Thompson's pork-butcher on Lichfield Road brough back memories. This was the only butcher my mom would use for chops, bacon and sausages, even though it meant quite a journey from Perry Barr. One of the first 'errands' I ran for her when I got my first car was to Thompson's...worth it, though.

Anyone know what was the industrial building with the green gates on Lichfield Road?

Big Gee

its not trouble wend..these pic must be shared...

hi ya big gee if you think the lozells road looked a bit tatty then you should see it now...i walked the length of it a few weeks back...i used to have a saturday job at a drapers along there in the late 60s...

lyn

Last edited:

Fantastic collection of photos Lyn. You are a star!

Judy

Thanks again Lyn. Carl Wayne recorded a song with you in mind, do you remember " You're a star " ?

thanks judy and bazz but the real stars are ray griffiths for posting them in the first place and of course his friend who took the photos...got about another 40 to go yet..

lyn

bee gee, the green gates, were part of church complex just down from thomsons the buchers on the same side. the complex rav across to vivtoria road, down to the junction of victoria and lichfeild road. i think that the vine pub was almost opposite this complex, hope this helps sidwho

Lyn may I add my thanks and appreciation for re-posting these pictures, and of course Ray G and his friends, I am sure you have added quite a number of new ones - I certainly haven't seen some of them before. One of the many that brought back memories was Park Lane Pets, through my childhood it was Dunne's greengrocers, Mrs. Dunne and her two daughters, one of Mrs. Dunne's grandsons wrote a lovely piece about it on Astonbrook through Aston Manor some years ago.

I still lived in Aston after I married and when my son was about 6 years old, he volunteered that we look after the class budgie Beauty during the summer holidays, all was well until I put it outside in his cage on the stand and Anthony Flanagan Michael's friend opened the cage and Beauty flew away. I had to go to Park Lane Pets for another budgie as near in colour as I could get, must have done the right thing because we never had any comments when it was returned to Burlington Street School.

Yes Sid, I can see it does have a more churchy than an industrial appearance now I'm looking more closely. Got to say I don't remember it at all. But thanks very much!

Big Gee

thr picture with the church and the boarded up building was the policetation. i was christened at that church, sidwho

hi sylvia i love that park lane pet shop pic..and what a carry on you had with that budgie lol..i do have a few more pics to post so watch this space...

lyn x

Lyn, these photos get better and better,quite a few of them have signs I did in them,and I love the art deco frontage of Thompson butchers,can't wait to see the remainder

john i cant tell you how many times i have looked at these pics..truely wonderful and like i said in my first post they are all one offs..i shudder to think at what we would have lost if they had been skipped...just making a start on the next lot..

lyn

Morning lyn, yes truly excellent pics, thanks to you for posting them

morning dave...they are fantasic...just about to post some more..stay tuned..

and the next lot...

queens pub..queens road..

image.jpeg

queens road/vicarage road..

image.jpeg I'm

queens road showing atkinsons brewery

image.jpeg

queens road match day

image.jpeg

queens road

image.jpeg

queens road..match day

image.jpeg

thimblemill lane

image.jpeg

thimblemill lane..

image.jpeg

thomas st and yates st..baptism church

image.jpeg

thomas st/powell st

image.jpeg

trinity road

image.jpeg

trinity road..

image.jpeg

trinity road..

image.jpeg

vicarage road school..

image.jpeg

victoria road swimming baths

image.jpeg

victoria road hall..

image.jpeg

victoria road sally army

image.jpeg

Fantastic yet again Lyn. I hope these pics are in a museum somewhere ?

Back