• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Auto Motors

B

blownthames

Hi,
I am the grandson of Mickey Mason who ran and owned Aston Auto Motor's on the Aston Road and MCA on Victoria Road in Aston..I have some pics of the shop and bikes from the 50/60's but i am looking for any other pics,info or memories...
will post the pics i have as soon as i can get the scanner running....
hope some of you can help
Regards
Barry

barry.sorry i have no pics.of aston autos.they always give me a great deal on bikes.i also remember mca in phillip st aston. pete

Hi Barry I bought my first Motor Cycle from Aston Autos, It was abrand new New Francis Barnett Ton 449 always remember that No.It was my pride and Joy, I was only Sixteen at the time so it would be about 1956 I also purched a James from you and later a B S A happy Days bobby b,

A pal of mine, Paul Morton, owned a Matchless G9 500cc twin, 1954 model, and needed a replacement crankshaft assembly. I gave him a lift to several bike shops one Saturday, in search of such.
After several failed attempts we arrived at Aston Autos and were surprised and delighted to find just what was needed. The lad who served us was equally surprised to find the item and went in search of the "Gaffer" to find out the price. The Gaffer himself returned with the lad and studied the two of us....impecunious apprentice youths. Eventually he grinned and said "Take it, it's a gift. We're no longer Matchless agents. Now bugger off before I change my mind". We duly buggered off, astonished!
I still have fond memories of that man...never new his name.
Some years later I bought the bike from Paul. It's in the shed even now, 20 feet from where I sit typing this, and still runs very well.

Ian

1957.This is my first Motor Scooter from ASTON AUTO's on the aston road in this photo it was just two days old.
The guy that sold it to me told my mom and dad that these were one of the safest machines around, he then went on to tell me how I should go about the contols and what to do to start up, as this was the first time I had ever been on motorised two wheels.
Then came the practical test he set me on the machine pointed me down Hubert St and off I went with mom and dad looking on. the one thing I had not been told was how to STOP? pull up yes, but how to decluch and switch of NO!!!
A very panicstricken dealer MOM & DAD came rushing round the corner into Chester St, But all was well I had stalled. WOW WHAT A FIRST DAY.
The next day I road to Nottingham just for fun, no crash hat needed then,just sports coat & trousers.

Thanks Mikejee, I would have no other, that was a 125 cc but then I had the Li 150 cc covered Devon & cornwall on both, That was before motorways. used to stop off over night in Minehead just to have a rest.
Lambretta,s were a great way to see the country lane down in the west country.
GREAT DAYS
THE BARON

I agree Baron. I had a secondhand lambretta in august 1965.It had done very few miles, a genuine 1 -lady owner. It was still going strong in Jan 68 after I'd done over 30,000 miles, but, soon after I arrived in Brum, it was snowing (ABOUT 9"), so i left it just off-road rather than bring it down the icy path and it was stolen overnight. Still, i patd £30 for it 2 years before and got £25 from the insurance !
Mike

for the baron and mike jee you could have had one of these when the kids arrived:D

Last edited:
Hi,
I am the grandson of Mickey Mason who ran and owned Aston Auto Motor's on the Aston Road and MCA on Victoria Road in Aston..I have some pics of the shop and bikes from the 50/60's but i am looking for any other pics,info or memories...
Regards
Barry
Hi barry
I am lucky to have found a lambretta sold by your grandfather I have recently finished restoring her I have a feature coming up in a magazine and I would love it if you could give me any details about your grandad shop
I know this reply is on a very old post but hopefully you'll get to see it
All the best iain

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 37
  • FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1585334948714.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334948714.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 47
  • FB_IMG_1585334951095.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334951095.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 50
  • FB_IMG_1585334953849.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334953849.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 50
  • FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 44
  • FB_IMG_1585342885909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342885909.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
1957.This is my first Motor Scooter from ASTON AUTO's on the aston road in this photo it was just two days old.
The guy that sold it to me told my mom and dad that these were one of the safest machines around, he then went on to tell me how I should go about the contols and what to do to start up, as this was the first time I had ever been on motorised two wheels.
Then came the practical test he set me on the machine pointed me down Hubert St and off I went with mom and dad looking on. the one thing I had not been told was how to STOP? pull up yes, but how to decluch and switch of NO!!!
A very panicstricken dealer MOM & DAD came rushing round the corner into Chester St, But all was well I had stalled. WOW WHAT A FIRST DAY.
The next day I road to Nottingham just for fun, no crash hat needed then,just sports coat & trousers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 7
  • FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1585342894728.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342894728.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 8
Hi barry
I am lucky to have found a lambretta sold by your grandfather I have recently finished restoring her I have a feature coming up in a magazine and I would love it if you could give me any details about your grandad shop
All the best iain
Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Hi barry
All the best iain
Is that Hubert Street on the right, by the Shell garage?

Hi barry
All the best iain
Scoot. I have deleted your telephone number as we do not recommend the placing of personal derails on open forum for reasons of your personal security. You may contact people privately by clicking on the envelope symbol at the top of the page, and hen starting a new conversation with those you wish to converse with.

I agree Baron. I had a secondhand lambretta in august 1965.It had done very few miles, a genuine 1 -lady owner. It was still going strong in Jan 68 after I'd done over 30,000 miles, but, soon after I arrived in Brum, it was snowing (ABOUT 9"), so i left it just off-road rather than bring it down the icy path and it was stolen overnight. Still, i patd £30 for it 2 years before and got £25 from the insurance !
Mike
[/QUOTE my dad bought me a BSA dandy from AAM. 1n 1964 ,I loved that first m/bike but like you someone else liked it and nicked it.1595786207142.png

Hi barry
All the best iain
Great job Scoot!

Hi barry
All the best iain
HI Iain,
Just come back to this thread after having to reregister to the site.. had forgotten about it but come back to some lovely memories. Your scoot is a credit to you, I have never seen one of my grandads company badges before so will be on the lookout. If you ever decide to sell the scoot please email me at hotrodthames@yahoo.co.uk. would love to have it back. if you have any other memories please feel free to email me direct as well.
kind regards
barry

Hi,
Regards
Barry
Hi Barry, Is your Mum "Christine" ? I worked at MCA in 1963 for 3 years when she worked in the office , You Grandad had a Vauxhall Cresta and the van driver Albert was always taking snuff. I rode my bike in front of your Mum's mini one night when it was foggy so that she would get home safe!!!!! Any pics would be appreciated, Brian

hi brian....barrys post is 14 years old and he is now only a guest member so unless he re registers he will not be able to reply to you

lyn

Hi,
Regards
Barry
Hi Barry,
My name is John Lester. I lived at number 1 Hubert street which was in the entry that ran at the back of the shops, up to the back of Aston Auto Motors. I spent a lot of time nosing in and talking to the men. I was about 5-12 then. One guy stands out a lot who always came to work on a motor bike with a side car, I think his name was Fred. He came to work in all weathers .I remember.
He was there a long time and was one of the mechanics.
Regards
John

Hi Barry,
My name is John Lester. I lived at number 1 Hubert street which was in the entry that ran at the back of the shops, up to the back of Aston Auto Motors. I spent a lot of time nosing in and talking to the men. I was about 5-12 then. One guy stands out a lot who always came to work on a motor bike with a side car, I think his name was Fred. He came to work in all weathers .I remember.
He was there a long time and was one of the mechanics.
Regards
John
It may be that you remember Alf who rode the combo, his Wife Vera was a packer at MCA

It may be that you remember Alf who rode the combo, his Wife Vera was a packer at MCA
Hi Brian,
you are probably right , Alf does ring a bell, memory ??
Do you remember the chip shop along side the brook near the bus stop where you could buy a bag of scratching's ( the waste batter to those that don't know, ) :)
near the Zebra crossings and the gents toilets on the opposite side of the road.
My mother got knocked over on those crossing when a lorry over took a car. She was ok for a few years after that, serious head injury.
Regards John

Hi,
Regards
Barry
Hi Barry, just spotted Aston auto Motors.
Brings back great memories. I lived at number 1 Hubert St which was the back entry to AAM.
A guy there, I think was Fred, he used to come on a side car all the time in all weathers.
He always had time for us kids and explained the bits on the bikes and scooters.
To young to know the owners , I was about 5 to 11 yrs then.
John Lester

Hi Barry, just spotted Aston auto Motors.
Brings back great memories. I lived at number 1 Hubert St which was the back entry to AAM.
A guy there, I think was Fred, he used to come on a side car all the time in all weathers.
He always had time for us kids and explained the bits on the bikes and scooters.
To young to know the owners , I was about 5 to 11 yrs then.
John Lester
Fred & Vera, he traded his bike for a 3 wheeler, was your house the first one next to the alley?

Hi,
Regards
Barry
Hi Barry, So are you the son of Christine ? she worked in the office when I was there, also Fred, Vera, Helen, Martin Groves, David Woodhead,( His Dad was the rep), I started as the errand boy fetching and carrying and when David went on the road repping I was promoted to packing the orders, Albert was the van driver ( addicted to snuff) your Grandad drove a Vauxhall cresta at the time. I am happy to send you all the info I can remember , but not sure if I have to send via the forum?? I also remember riding my bike in front of Christine to her house in the fog ( a mini I think) as vision was bad

Fred & Vera, he traded his bike for a 3 wheeler, was your house the first one next to the alley?
Yes , we had triangle rooms on the corner. The ally led to the backs of numbers 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 Hubert St with the outside shared toilets. We were lucky we had our own.

Back