• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arrowsmith Family Boatmen

Millymix

Hi ya,

I'm trying to do my dads side of my family tree and have hit a few walls, so I wondered whether anyone could offer some pointers.

One of my ancestors was a John Arrowsmith born circa 1845 in Studley in Warwickshire, he was a boatman but on some censuses he is an ag labourer (I'm pretty sure its the same one).

I can't find him on the 1851, on the 1861 census he is a boarder and a Needle finisher. He shows up on the 1871 with his wife Mary A (who was a Kemp) and their children. They were visiting at 23 Talford St, Aston.

I'm also struggling to find a birth record of one of his sons George Albert who is my Gt Gt Grandad through his daughter Ethel (again I can't find a birth record)

Someone said that he may have been christened something else, but i'm not sure.
If anyone can help me find these people that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Zoe

Hi Zoe are you sure your Gt Gt grandfather was George Albert because John b, 1845 had a son Alfred George,born 1870 and in later years he called himself George alfred.
George Alfred married a Ann Maria Griffin and on the 1901 census they have a daughter Ethel Maria born 1896, and sons George Alfred age 7and John Henry age 3. George is a boatman (Barge) living Coleshill terrace high Street Aston, I can see no birth of a Ethel maria but there is an Ethel Lily born 1896.

Last edited:
Couldn't see a George Albert, but there is a George Alfred
who appears to turn his name around!

Births Registered Sep 1870

Alfred George Arrowsmith Birmingham 6d 124

Marriages Registered Sep 1893

George Alfred Arrowsmith Aston 6d 511
Ann Maria Griffin Aston 6d 511

1901 as George Alfred in Census.
1911 wife states she is a widow but married for 10 and half years.
Her brother Arthur Griffin is with her and the children at Draton Terrace Gate Street, Saltley

It must be a family tradition to swap your names around, my grand dad used to do it so I recently learned! So now its been ascertained , does anyone have any idea how I track John down and find a record of his birth so that I can go back further? Are there any boatmen records online or Parish records?

Also can I get any information on Aston Workhouse records? My grand dad (Arthur Albert Arrowsmith) and his sister Ethel were both born there. Both were illegitimate and children of Ethel Arrowsmith daughter of George.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

George died in 1904, I have his death certificate and he drowned in the canal in January. I also have their marriage certificate which states his dad was a boatman.

Just rechecked the certificates I have and its George Alfred and he was 23 when he married Ann Maria Griffin in 1893 so was born in 1870. His dad John Arrowsmith died in March 1882.

Millymix, don't know if this is the same family but l went to school with a Betty Arrowsmith who lived in Park Lane Aston...l image Betty was born c 1935...Brenda

From familysearch

John Arrowsmith, christened 21 June 1845 Studley, son of Sarah Arrowsmith.

Sarah Arrowsmith, christened 10 Dec 1823 Studley, daughter of John and Elizabeth Arrowsmith.

Sarah Arrowsmith, buried 12 July 1846 Studley, born c1824.

John Arrowsmith, married 14 August 1820 Studley, to Elizabeth Bradley.

Back