• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Arnold - alice maud

S

silvershimmer

Hi,

I am seeking information re ALICE MAUD ARNOLD, born to Sarah Ann (nee Collett) and Samuel Paul Arnold, Smethwick Birmingham on 7/09/1893. home address given as Balsall Heath.
She is mentioned in the 1911 Census;

1911 Alice was at home with her family at 8, John Street, Smethwick - Her occupation is given as 'drawing pen maker' and age 17. (a census search uses an 1894 birthdate).

Then we can find no trace of her marriage or death.

Family memories suggest that she worked (possibly as manageress) at the West End ballroom/ dance hall, part of the west end cinema, suffolk street in the 20's/30's and that she died sometime in the 30's.

We are hoping to find out if/ when/ who she married and when she died and where?

any information or suggestions as to how else we might track her down would be most appreciated.

many thanks

Cathy

The electoral rolls give an Alice Maud Arnold living at no 2 court 22 , George St west in 1925, 1930 and 1935 with a Herbert Arnold . this is probably not her unless Herbert took her surname , but I pass it on for information
Mike

many thanks, although it does sound unlikely.

I have a possibility of a marriage to ORTON in 1914 and a subsequent death of an ALICE ORTON in 1933 aged 39. All in Birmingham. The only evidence of this being our Alice is the age at death.

Hi Cathy

There is a marriage of a Alice M Arnold to John W Andrews in 1930 Bham this seems a little late for a marriage but then there is a
death for Alice Maud Andrews Born 7.9.1893 died 1978 Bham reference 32 1234

Suzanne

In 1950 & 1955 at 36 Leamington Road, Balsall Heath is an Alice M and John W Andrews.

Suzanne

This may help to pin her down:)

In 1939 at 36 leamington rd is Alice Maud and John William Andrews with Ernest Samuel Arnold (her brother?)

Suzanne

wow... Thank you all very much...

Indeed she did have a brother Ernest Samuel Arnold, some 8 or nine years younger than her.

I almost hope this is not the right Alice, as that would mean she was alive and we knew nothing about her!

well, I have to thank you very very much.. I have spent months trying to solve this and you have done it in a matter of minutes!!

I have checked the death register and the date of birth is completely accurate for our ALICE. It seems that she must have upset my grandfather, who refused to speak of her and told my Father she had died in the 30's. In fact she was living in Birmingham, not so far from all of us until 1978.

How very sad that my Father, my brother and I never knew her and yet we were all in Birmingham. My Grandfather died in Birmingham in 1985 and as far as we knew the only family he had was my Father.

I can't thank you enough for all your help, now to find out what family Alice had and where she may be buried or cremated.

Cathy

There is a marriage of a Alice M Arnold to John W Andrews in 1930 Bham this seems a little late for a marriage but then there is a death for Alice Maud Andrews Born 7.9.1893 died 1978 Bham reference 32 1234
Suzanne

Seconded. Having the exact d.o.b. makes finding a death so much easier, provided they died in or after the June quarter of 1969. I can only add that her death was registered in the Dec. quarter of 1978, and there appear to have been no children from the marriage - not particularly surprising in the circumstances, I guess.

Regards - Andrew

As if you haven't all done enough for me already.. I have another couple of queries...

Alice Maud and John William Andrews must have had to move from Leamington road at some point in the 60's, as the road was demolished. any ideas where they may have gone to from there. clearly they were still in birmingham.

I have another relative Ellen Rosa Arnold, who married Thomas Taylor in 1915, Smethwick. Ellen's DOB should be 1892. I don't have a DOB for Thomas. In 1934 she may have been in vicarage road, smethwick but I don't know if her husband is with her at this time. then I have no further details for her.

Her parents, samuel and Sarah would have died around 1932.

If anyone remembers Leamington road, or has any idea about our rather dispersed family, I would be most grateful.

thank you

cathy

Back