• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Architectural Guide to Birmingham and the Black Country

At long last, the follow-up to the 2005 tome is due out on March 22nd. Poor Andy, he has had to keep updating the text as bulldozers removed buildings he had discussed. On several occasions I had to e-mail him to let him know that a building had vanished. Er, you may find me in the credits as I helped with pub information.

When looking at Pevsner found this programme on YouTube. Germaine Greer and Travels with Pevsner, Warwickshire. Includes Aston Hall, the Proof House, Curzon St, and Bournville.

A nice piece Pedro. Thanks.

I must admit I agree with Germaine Greer when she says: “the beauty of buildings is inseparable from its social function” as she explains that originally Pevsner saw buildings simply as free standing structures with greater or lesser merit. His was probably more of a survey I suppose. But there’s no getting away from it that they make more sense in their social context.

The film is dated 1966. It has a few aerial views from that time. As already mentioned it covers some buildings of Birmingham and some suburbs. Here are the points in the film for those areas/buildings

Aston Hall: from 11.30 mins - it includes a view panning the surrounding area of Aston Hall from the roof
Curzon Street: from 24.03 mins - some aerial views of surrounding area as well as interior views of the building
Proof House: from 28.39 mins - rear view from the canal as well as entrance and courtyard
Bournville: from 31.54 mins

Germaine doesn’t hold back on her dislike of pebble dash, old buildings becoming themed or Cadbury purple !

Viv.

Last edited:
Reading his text, Pevsner does come across as a bit of a grump, even cantankerous. Of course, I don't know what he was like in real life but I have often come across a building that I enjoyed looking at only to find him lambasting it for one reason or another.

In July 1966 The Birmingham Post gives a review of the Pevsner Book on Warwickshire. Looking to the aspects that concern Birmingham it first says that we have had to wait 15 years since the series started, while adding that it is difficult as Birmingham and Coventry won't stay still long enough to be recorded.

Some buildings are included although demolished, and others still on the drawing board. Note that the fine catacombs at Key Hill, which survive, don't rate a mention. How did the charming garden buildings at Castle Bromwich Hall came to be missed? The University of Aston is still referred to as Central Training College.

Finally it quotes Pevsner concerning the buildings of JA Roberts "the Rotunda is the best" and at Edgbaston "the thought given to future building requirements, circulation within the University and the importance of making all aspects aesthetically worthy give hope for the future."

(Didn't realize the Pevsner began his research career at Birmingham University.)

Last edited:
It’s unusual. Hints of Norman style. The church’s website has this to say
“The architect and writer Niklaus Pevsner described All Saints as “a very ugly church.” Well, we beg to disagree. It is an impressive and striking design, and there is no mistaking the fact that it is a Christian church. It needs to be seen from inside to appreciate its character”
Viv.

Attachments

• 996B963F-6A50-4B83-89C4-43DC2EE5FF20.jpeg
    996B963F-6A50-4B83-89C4-43DC2EE5FF20.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 8
It’s unusual. Hints of Norman style. The church’s website has this to say
“The architect and writer Niklaus Pevsner described All Saints as “a very ugly church.” Well, we beg to disagree. It is an impressive and striking design, and there is no mistaking the fact that it is a Christian church. It needs to be seen from inside to appreciate its character”
Viv.
it is loverly inside and out.shard end.pngshard end 2.jpg

Back