• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Archaeological Site Library & Centenary Sq

Frothblower in that pic they are reinstating the ground, had been drilling a bore hole :) Dave

Looking at the old pic, the dig has to be in the center of the square or a bit more away :) (I think):(, if I have the right angle ?.

is this the start of the 2nd dig then dave...:) if so is it where the wharf was....

The more I look at that black and white photo, the more I am convinced this is the route of the canal

thanks for the map mike...

froth..i agree..looks like the 2nd dig will touch the canal maybe...i really must ask some questions on wednesday..

lyn:)

Morning all,
I have marked the town hall in yellow on the old photo, which according to my 1902 map is in line with the old wharf, BUT this does not equate to modern maps, was the line of Broad St. changed.

good morning john and thanks for that..i am a tad confused now:cry: as to wether the line was changed...surely it couldnt have changed that much..i will try and have a word with the arkies on wednesday to see if they have any more info....

Morning Lyn,
Here's the map I'm going from, I have put a line from where I think the photo was taken from, as you can see it puts the hall of memory in the wrong position.

In John`s pic, are they going to look for the Basin ?, between Broad St and Baskerville Passage, that looks like the place in lyn`s pic Dave

yes john...i see what you mean...in that case it looks like the line of broad st may have been changed dosnt it....i think you map experts should be up the town giving them directions. as i need a compass just to navigate me own back garden....:D:D

lyn

morning dave...if you go to post one where i posted the paper cutting it does say the dig will uncover factories and canals...i cant read it too well so i will try and find the original cutting..

lyn

Lyn,
Finally clocked it, whoever posted the black and white photo flipped it, that's what was confusing me.
Here's the map again with the white arrow showing the correct line (more or less).
confucious he say ?

ive found the cutting and it says that the arkies will be mapping out the canal route which would have run through baskerville house...and when they move on to excavating centenary square they hope to find another canal wharf and factories...exciting stuff this...

lyn when they move onto Centenary Square, they might be after that basin between Broad St and Baskerville passage in the old map :) Dave

dave..i am convinced that they will turn up another wharf etc...the pic i posted of the old wharf is of great interest to bordesley excile..(shirley) as her ggg grandfather would have known the old wharf and the area...so i will keep going up to take any pics that may be of use to her family history...i love this thread as its one of the most exciting pieces of birmingham history i have come accross...

thanks john for putting us on the right track..

dig update..

hi all..just got back..met up with new member maxwell bullivant(max for short:D) and david fowler..max it was great to meet you..and nice to see you too david.

well it had to happen..nobody on site as they were on a tea break so we gatecrashed:D:D well david and max led and i followed..a very nice young man came out of one of the cabins and we very nicely asked could we at least go as far as the second barriers..he wasnt to sure but the lads persuaded him...it seems that some of the footings go down another 6 metres on the left hand side and under the porta cabins there may well be the steam engine..could even be a morcam..dean (thats the nice man) said it may transpire that when the cabins are moved to the next site they may try and find out what is underneath them....also sadly some of the artifacts on the site have been stolen:( but we were just in time to see one of the arkies wrestling to get a very large counterweight out of the ground that had just been unearthed...looks like a massive sink plug to me:D the very sad news is that as we thought everything you see now will not be backfilled but dug up and lost forever:(:( so if anyone is thinking of going to have a look..the sooner the better..i will be posting just a few pics later..which will include one of the exact spot where the next dig will be...and david has taken a few too...

hi dave...we were not allowed onto where they were actually digging but like i say we did get onto the site but had to stay behind the inner barrier...shirl he didnt say but i couldnt see those 3 round blocks of wood and piece of door that were there last time..it was good of them to leave the artifacts on view but obvious that some idiots would have them away...what they do find will be taken away for safe keeping...:)

Some photos of the site

Attachments

• Dig near Rep 3 2009 (1).JPG
    Dig near Rep 3 2009 (1).JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Dig near Rep 3 2009.JPG
    Dig near Rep 3 2009.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Dig near Rep 4 2009.JPG
    Dig near Rep 4 2009.JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Dig near Rep 5 2009.JPG
    Dig near Rep 5 2009.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Dig near Rep 2009.JPG
    Dig near Rep 2009.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Dig near Rep Lyn Dean 2009.JPG
    Dig near Rep Lyn Dean 2009.JPG
    505.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
3 pics

Attachments

• winfieldbrassdig6_zpsbdb9fc1d.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig6_zpsbdb9fc1d.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 6
  • winfieldbrassdig3_zps84699edc.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig3_zps84699edc.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5
  • winfieldbrassdig7_zps66732876.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig7_zps66732876.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
pics 7 8 9 10

its to heavy:rolleyes:

artifact.

Attachments

• winfieldbrassdig8_zpsf2b1b3ad.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig8_zpsf2b1b3ad.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 7
  • winfieldbrassdig9_zpsab450dd6.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig9_zpsab450dd6.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 7
  • winfieldbrassdig11_zps3d8557ca.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig11_zps3d8557ca.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
  • winfieldbrassdig10_zps3f27b32a.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig10_zps3f27b32a.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 8
11 12 and 13

Attachments

• winfieldbrassdig14_zps495ba930.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig14_zps495ba930.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1
  • winfieldbrassdig15_zps0dbaa372.jpg
    winfieldbrassdig15_zps0dbaa372.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1
  • winfieldbrassdige12_zps3f404073.jpg
    winfieldbrassdige12_zps3f404073.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 2

another update...

last night i emailed mike hodder the citys archaeologist and put four question to him...here are his replies..

1...a detailed report will be published but thats probably a couple of years ahead yet because anayisis of the results after the excavation has been completed will take some time. however some information will go on the web site fairly soon after the end of the excavation.:)

2...the artifacts found will got to the museum and some may go on display.
:)
3...i think the paviours (blue bricks) will probably be skipped...:cry:

4...unfortunately it is not possible for volunteers to be involved in the centenary square area. like the current excavations in birmingham these will be undertaken by a team of skilled and experienced professional archaeologist...:cry: (WELL THAT TOLD ME)

i am not to happy with the answer to question 3...you would think that these bricks could have been put to good use..i think it was claire who mentioned about them going to maybe the black country museum and i did suggest this to mike hodder...well if they they are going to skip them i am asking if i can go up with me trolly and have half a dozen of them...i can find a nice spot for them in me garden....:D thats about it for now folks..hope this info has been of help especially for members who do not live in brum....

The blue engineering bricks would make a good patio, our yard in Witton was paved with them. I remember our Dad taking them all up when he put a new fence (boards) up, then he laid them all back again. He found an old stone beer bottle under the bricks, no doubt left by the builders when they were building the houses in the early 1900's. I've got it in my kitchen now. I bet there are a few 'artifacts' like that found in town. :)

wow di what a find..you are lucky to have it still...ok ive been thinking about these ere bricks and i have decided if i do not get a reply by monday from the person i have been advised to contact i will not be doing any more chasing round the houses..what i will be doing is going back up to the dig and having a word with the arkie in charge and asking him straight out if we can take some away...if we get the go ahead i will of course be needing some big strong volunteers..preferably with a car:rolleyes:

hi rob..they have not been skipped just yet...

hi wend...thats very interesting and how fitting it would be to edge thomas walkers grave with the bricks.. will do my very best..

Back