• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone recognise this building?

sandrada

master brummie
found a family roll of negatives, all buildings round town but cannot remember this building

Attachments

• BBF4A543-23E6-4BB4-B12E-5B16073577F0.jpeg
    BBF4A543-23E6-4BB4-B12E-5B16073577F0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
Those look like 2 of the tower blocks built along New John Street West, the building could have been on that street, sorry I can't be more precise but I will continue investigating.

Those look like 2 of the tower blocks built along New John Street West, the building could have been on that street, sorry I can't be more precise but I will continue investigating.
That sounds promising. Thank you very much for your help

There’s a business name above the archway. Can’t make it out, maybe P.Ell..... Maybe one of members can decipher. Viv.
The word above the archway looks like LIGHTING. Contrary to my previous posts, those aren't the tower blocks on New John Street West, I'm looking at others in Newtown Row now.

Its P ...........Depot I think. Here are two copies of it in B & W and inverted, if this gives anyone any ideas

BBF4A543-23E6-4BB4-B12E-5B16073577F0B.jpgBBF4A543-23E6-4BB4-B12E-5B16073577F0C.jpgBBF4A543-23E6-4BB4-B12E-5B16073577F0D.jpg

If you need the date Sandra and don’t know it, someone will be able to date it for you and fairly precisely by the cars. Viv.

Well we can squeeze a bit more out of it by identifying the year ! Any offers ?

I shall kick off with the summer of 1976 judging by the scorched grass. But what about the cars ?Viv.

I'm a bit disappointed Pete, I thought this was going to turn into another mystery like the No. 8 bus from a few years ago.
i zoomed in and saw the name too. but you posted so i did not bother. no doubt some one will post another for us:grinning:
:grinning:

I was amazed to see the imp convertible on this photo, I have never seen one before, in 1965 I had a Singer Chamois which was my first car.

I can find vey little about this other than the fact they were built in Australia and seems to be late 60s.

This 50th anniversary site says they were unique to Australia.

Perhaps one of the car experts can shed some light on this.

Hillman Imp doesn't look much like a rare Australian convertible - more like an Imp that's had the roof cut off! Also looks to have no engine, no rear cross-member to support the engine and the engine cover looks detached. Poor old Imp.

I was amazed to see the imp convertible on this photo, I have never seen one before, in 1965 I had a Singer Chamois which was my first car.

I can find vey little about this other than the fact they were built in Australia and seems to be late 60s.

This 50th anniversary site says they were unique to Australia.

Perhaps one of the car experts can shed some light on this.
we are drifting off thread now to imps, but sure they will

found a family roll of negatives, all buildings round town but cannot remember this building
Unfortunately I don't recognise the building but the inscription over the archway reads: "Public Lighting Depot". I wonder if the building was in Summer Lane, where there was an early power station which later became the Midlands Electricity Board Workshops? Maybe this building formed part of those workshops. I did my apprenticeship at Nechells B Power Station. Those apprentices in previous intakes to the CEGB Midlands Region used to do their basic workshop training at the MEB apprentice school in Summer Lane; those in my intake and later did theirs at Handworth Technical College, Goldshill Road. A 12-month, full time Pre-Apprentice Course was set up there by the CEGB for novice apprentices.
Don't know if any of this reminiscing will help but it may jog a few memories.

Cheers
datadave

Back