• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Any old Brummies moved to the USA?

Stokkie

master brummie
How will you spend the 4th July? Do you think of yourself as American? How did you get your green card? Do share your story!

I guess the fireworks are the consequence of the software. But they prompted my questions. Also if you are American living here in the UK, why did you join this board? Do you have family connections to Birmingham UK? Feel free to post wider family or cultural connections too.

Last edited:
Can't do the old Brummies bit, I've been out there several times to visit my daughter in Pasadena Maryland, she got there first as a government employee (GCHQ) attached to the Pentagon and the British Embassy in Washington, after three tours of duty decided to stay, now is a realtor selling homes around the Chesapeake Bay area.

Can't do the old Brummies bit, I've been out there several times to visit my daughter in Pasadena Maryland, she got there first as a government employee (GCHQ) attached to the Pentagon and the British Embassy in Washington, after three tours of duty decided to stay, now is a realtor selling homes around the Chesapeake Bay area.
Thanks Eric. That's interesting to hear about your daughter. I'll widen my original question to cover family connections.

My aunt married an American serviceman in the early 1950s They settled in Kentucky. I have cousins in Maryland, Kentucky, Tennesee and Virginia. My uncle was stationed at Fort Knox and the husband of one of my cousins was a colonel at the Pentagon.
I have visited a couple of times and keep in touch by email.
I also have relatives that I do not know. My great uncle was a Kidderminster carpet designer and moved to New York and I know from Ancestry that I have distant cousins from his line of the tree.

My aunt married an American serviceman in the early 1950s They settled in Kentucky. I have cousins in Maryland, Kentucky, Tennesee and Virginia. My uncle was stationed at Fort Knox and the husband of one of my cousins was a colonel at the Pentagon.
I have visited a couple of times and keep in touch by email.
I also have relatives that I do not know. My great uncle was a Kidderminster carpet designer and moved to New York and I know from Ancestry that I have distant cousins from his line of the tree.
Appreciate your reply, Cba. I guess many British women married American servicemen and moved there like your aunt. I was surprised to discover USAAF Station 522 was just found the corner from me in Bearwood, Smethwick. There was no trace of this in my 60s childhood. Though there is a deep air raid shelter near. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Somewhere-Midlands-U-S-F-Station-Smethwick/dp/1858581192

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Eric, your daughter is in a beautiful part of the country!

My father died when I was 19 (my relationship with him was poor at best). My sister married and American serviceman so after my father died my mother & I came here. My parent home was bombed during the war and seemingly we never recovered. When I came I got a job in an aircraft factory and after 6 months was promoted to flight test and met and met some engineers who encouraged me to to finish my education mostly at night. With degrees in ME, EE & IE I moved forward with post graduate work at Caltech, University of TN, NC State & Oak Ridge. Along the way I met a fellow who had an MG TD, I helped him rebuild it from the wheels up using my Moore & Wright tool box and the tools from my apprenticeship. the fellow with the MG is my brother in law and next week I will be married to his beautiful sister for 53 years!
I became an American citizen about 15 years ago because it is my home and my childrens home and Grandchildren's home.
The Forum I love and even more the people on it! I love history and the Industrial Revolution. I am fascinated by how Birmingham has grown/changed, some things I like and some not sure but will not pass judgement because I am not there. My wife & I both love history and have plans for a big trip to Birmingham and 11 Radnor Rd. Unfortunately I have some physical constraints and have a surgery on my foot being scheduled. The recovery is 10 weeks so we are hoping we can be there in the fall/autumn.

Going way back I found that a brother of one 2 x g grandfather and his wife emigrated to Australia (1840s) and then sometime later took their family to California, where descendants still live.

A brother of a different 2 x g grandfather emigrated to New York (state) in the 1890s and I think there are still some descendants there.

My 2 x g grandmother (widow of above) remarried a man whose children emigrated to the US and I was surprised to discover (they were not wealthy) that they visited them at least once in the 1920s, which must have an event in those days.

I wonder how much contact the others had with each other afterwards.

And much more recent, a nephew married an American girl (met through the internet) and I think they live in the NE, Massachusetts maybe.

Going way back I found that a brother of one 2 x g grandfather and his wife emigrated to Australia (1840s) and then sometime later took their family to California, where descendants still live.

A brother of a different 2 x g grandfather emigrated to New York (state) in the 1890s and I think there are still some descendants there.

My 2 x g grandmother (widow of above) remarried a man whose children emigrated to the US and I was surprised to discover (they were not wealthy) that they visited them at least once in the 1920s, which must have an event in those days.

I wonder how much contact the others had with each other afterwards.

And much more recent, a nephew married an American girl (met through the internet) and I think they live in the NE, Massachusetts maybe.
MWS, I think communication back in the 1840's was long and slow although people wrote letters frequently. Unfortunately now we seem for the most part to work off sound bites.

My father died when I was 19 (my relationship with him was poor at best). My sister married and American serviceman so after my father died my mother & I came here. My parent home was bombed during the war and seemingly we never recovered. When I came I got a job in an aircraft factory and after 6 months was promoted to flight test and met and met some engineers who encouraged me to to finish my education mostly at night. With degrees in ME, EE & IE I moved forward with post graduate work at Caltech, University of TN, NC State & Oak Ridge. Along the way I met a fellow who had an MG TD, I helped him rebuild it from the wheels up using my Moore & Wright tool box and the tools from my apprenticeship. the fellow with the MG is my brother in law and next week I will be married to his beautiful sister for 53 years!
I became an American citizen about 15 years ago because it is my home and my childrens home and Grandchildren's home.
The Forum I love and even more the people on it! I love history and the Industrial Revolution. I am fascinated by how Birmingham has grown/changed, some things I like and some not sure but will not pass judgement because I am not there. My wife & I both love history and have plans for a big trip to Birmingham and 11 Radnor Rd. Unfortunately I have some physical constraints and have a surgery on my foot being scheduled. The recovery is 10 weeks so we are hoping we can be there in the fall/autumn.
That's quite a story, Richard! Thank you - I'm new to the forum, but I always enjoy your contributions. I hope your surgery goes well and you and your wife are able to visit in the Autumn.
Derek

Maybe this is a little off topic...and requiring a spank...I don't know. Anyway; not America but a Brummie next door in Canada. Probably Canada is more likely to be a destination for Brit's than the US of A; it being a commonwealth country and has universal healthcare. Not perfect but still a good thing.
My Canadian wife has family in California and we visit the states very infrequently these days.
We can't be anything but dismayed about the political decline that the states are experiencing just now...much worse than Brexit it seems to me. It will affect the world and we are just north of it.
We badly need responsible politicians and voters.

Maybe this is a little off topic...and requiring a spank...I don't know. Anyway; not America but a Brummie next door in Canada. Probably Canada is more likely to be a destination for Brit's than the US of A; it being a commonwealth country and has universal healthcare. Not perfect but still a good thing.
My Canadian wife has family in California and we visit the states very infrequently these days.
We can't be anything but dismayed about the political decline that the states are experiencing just now...much worse than Brexit it seems to me. It will affect the world and we are just north of it.
We badly need responsible politicians and voters.
Rupertstill, thanks for your perception living in Canada. I visited Calgary about 30 years ago and was astonished at the high tech high-rise offices in the centre with the mountains around. All built on gas, oil and mining I believe.

Let's hope for wiser politics.

Last edited:
Rupertstill, thanks for your perception living in Canada. I visited Calgary about 30 years ago and was astonished at the high tech high-rise offices in the centre with the mountains around. All built on gas, oil and mining I believe.

I know some Birmingham children were sent to Canada as part of a settlement program when their parents were unable to support them economically in the early years of the 20C. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/stories-6000-birmingham-children-forced-15086299

Let's hope for wiser politics.
Amen to than, and everywhere!

Of course, I am NOW an American Citizen and have been for many years, BUT I will never forget my British AND BRUMMIE heritage. I chose when I was 23 to leave and start a new life in the USA I am now 89 I have no regrets. I even have a Grandson that was born in JAPAN when our Son Paul Crump was there stationed there in the US Navy, Braedan Crump was born on the FOURTH OF JULY A real Yanke Doodle Dandy!! Thanks to this forum for your support from a true BRUMMIE!!! Photo is Braedan Crump 17 years old today, he is an A student in school, like his Dad was. we are very proud of this young man.

Attachments

• 277705950_10221641886335740_518546347410989149_n.jpg
    277705950_10221641886335740_518546347410989149_n.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 15
Of course, I am NOW an American Citizen and have been for many years, BUT I will never forget my British AND BRUMMIE heritage. I chose when I was 23 to leave and start a new life in the USA I am now 89 I have no regrets. I even have a Grandson that was born in JAPAN when our Son Paul Crump was there stationed there in the US Navy, Braedan Crump was born on the FOURTH OF JULY A real Yanke Doodle Dandy!! Thanks to this forum for your support from a true BRUMMIE!!! Photo is Braedan Crump 17 years old today, he is an A student in school, like his Dad was. we are very proud of this young man.
Brilliant, OldBrit. And enjoy your Fourth of July!

My Nan, two aunts, an uncle and two cousins emigrated to Hollywood in the late 1950s. My Nan had been across the pond before with a dance group and performed in the US before WW1. She was smitten with the stage and movies. So in the 1950s they uprooted and settled in Hollywood. My Nan returned to England but her daughters settled there and have lived there since.

My son has also now settled in in the US (must be in the genes) and has absolutely no intention of returning to England. He feels his quality life and the opportunities in Florida are far, far above those here. Although I was initially gutted that he decided to stay, I’m very, very happy for him. He now has a wonderful wife and family, a great life and I get to go out there several times a year !

One thing I’ve realised since regularly visiting the States is you don’t have to go far to find a Brummie. And it’s even easier to find exBrits who’ve settled there. My son has many friends originally from the UK and they all say the same, that they’re very glad they made the move. Viv.

My Nan, two aunts, an uncle and two cousins emigrated to Hollywood in the late 1950s. My Nan had been across the pond before with a dance group and performed in the US before WW1. She was smitten with the stage and movies. So in the 1950s they uprooted and settled in Hollywood. My Nan returned to England but her daughters settled there and have lived there since.

My son has also now settled in in the US (must be in the genes) and has absolutely no intention of returning to England. He feels his quality life and the opportunities in Florida are far, far above those here. Although I was initially gutted that he decided to stay, I’m very, very happy for him. He now has a wonderful wife and family, a great life and I get to go out there several times a year !

One thing I’ve realised since regularly visiting the States is you don’t have to go far to find a Brummie. And it’s even easier to find exBrits who’ve settled there. My son has many friends originally from the UK and they all say the same, that they’re very glad they made the move. Viv.
That's a great family story, Vivienne. I'm glad the move worked out for your son. And interesting to hear about your family and Hollywood.

Born and raised in Birmingham in the 50's, left with my family for California in 1963. I often have thoughts as to what my life would have been like had we stayed. Still, fond memories of those long ago days.
Thanks for posting! I had schoolfriends who emigrated to Australia and a college classmate who went to New Zealand. But no-one as far as I'm aware moved to the USA in my family or circle. Good that there Brummies so widely spread.

My great-grandfather, b.1832 in Brum, took it into his head at the age of 19 or so, to travel to the other side of the moon (or, rather, its equivalent in around 1851, which was Gold Rush California). Much about his time there is unknown but he had more sense than to dig and, we believe, had a shop there, possibly an ironmongers. All in a place called Oroville (City of Gold) in the Sacramento Valley, a thriving town which a couple of years previously had been nothing but scrubland. Amongst much else that fascinates me is exactly how he got there in those days before the transcontinental railroad and the Panama Canal. Unlike a number of those new towns, Oroville survived the departure of the miners to pastures new, such as Nevada, and thrives to this day.

What we do have is documentary evidence of his decision to return to Europe in October 1859 and the regret expressed by members of the local community about his departure. Why the decision? He turns up again, opening a shop in the North of England and getting married in February 1860. A quick mover or was it a sort of arranged marriage? His grandson, my father, knew him, but I never did - he died 30 years before I was born. His own son followed in his footsteps but only as far as Florida and the South where he helped to build a railroad before, like his dad, eventually returning and settling down to a life in Brum. What memories those two must have had and IF ONLY they had kept a journal or jotted down their experiences in later life!

My own father always felt that he would have been expected to follow the tradition "to make a man out of him"; but he had an appointment to keep on the Western Front in 1918. He had to wait until 1935 to see the USA but by then it was with the help of Cunard.

Chris

My great-grandfather, b.1832 in Brum, took it into his head at the age of 19 or so, to travel to the other side of the moon (or, rather, its equivalent in around 1851, which was Gold Rush California). Much about his time there is unknown but he had more sense than to dig and, we believe, had a shop there, possibly an ironmongers. All in a place called Oroville (City of Gold) in the Sacramento Valley, a thriving town which a couple of years previously had been nothing but scrubland. Amongst much else that fascinates me is exactly how he got there in those days before the transcontinental railroad and the Panama Canal. Unlike a number of those new towns, Oroville survived the departure of the miners to pastures new, such as Nevada, and thrives to this day.

What we do have is documentary evidence of his decision to return to Europe in October 1859 and the regret expressed by members of the local community about his departure. Why the decision? He turns up again, opening a shop in the North of England and getting married in February 1860. A quick mover or was it a sort of arranged marriage? His grandson, my father, knew him, but I never did - he died 30 years before I was born. His own son followed in his footsteps but only as far as Florida and the South where he helped to build a railroad before, like his dad, eventually returning and settling down to a life in Brum. What memories those two must have had and IF ONLY they had kept a journal or jotted down their experiences in later life!

My own father always felt that he would have been expected to follow the tradition "to make a man out of him"; but he had an appointment to keep on the Western Front in 1918. He had to wait until 1935 to see the USA but by then it was with the help of Cunard.

Chris
That's a wonderful story. As to how he got there, I'd imagine on a Wagon Trail, there's a California Trail apparently which shares some of the routes with the Oregon Trail. I don't think there would be many other ways?

As a young Brummie in the 1950s, we regularly got parcels from my aunt in the US. Even to me as a 7 year old, these parcels contained items you could only dream of getting in this country. My aunt sent items like chiffon dresses for me, a plastic fringed jacket for my brother and beaded items (like belts, purses) allegedly made by native/indigenous Americans. She also sent little packets of Dental Floss before it was even heard of in this country.

I wore my chiffon dresses for ballroom dancing lessons at Enid Godwin’s in Perry Barr, a far cry from the Hollywood shop where they were bought. But it was obvious even to me (although as a 7 year old, not in these exact words) that America was far wealthier than we were in post-war Britain. I so wanted to be my aunt when I grew up and even started to use a fake American accent for a while. She’d often come over to England for a few weeks and always wore quite amazing clothes. However, when my mum went out to visit her in California in the 1970s the two striking observations she made when she returned were the clothes were cheap and poorly made and you could furnish a house with the good furniture that was left out on the street as ‘trash’. My first inkling of a throwaway society that would also hit England in time.

One observation of visiting the States in recent years is around the issue of respect. Let me explain. While out with my son driving along he said of the car ahead of us:
‘that’s a vet in front’.
I looked at him and asked ‘do you know him? Is it your dogs vet?
‘No!’ He said. ‘It’s a veteran !’
‘What, like a military veteran? How d’you know that?’ I asked
‘There’s a special plate on the back tells you’ he said.
So you can spot veterans even by their cars. Their service is automatically recognised, they receive all sorts of discounts and special deals and the respect is even vocalised while out and about. I’ve often heard shop assistants etc comment “thank you for your service” if they know someone has served. Now this might sound cringey to some Brits, but I like that there’s real respect for those who’ve served for their country. Same goes with the use of ‘Sir’ and ‘Ma’am’.
Viv.

Congratulations John! You must be VERY proud of your Grandson!

Stokkie, I think there were two other options: all the way down around Cape Horn and then up the coast to San Francisco; or down from New York to Panama, a trek over the isthmus and rhen another boat up to S.F. I have always felt that the latter was the more likely.

Chris

Stokkie, I think there were two other options: all the way down around the Cape of Good Hope and then up the coast to San Francisco; or down from New York to Panama, a trek over the isthmus and rhen another boat up to S.F. I have always felt that the latter was the more likely.

Chris
Thanks Chris, appreciated. I was over influenced by school reading of the Oregon Trail! How smart of him not to dig but to sell stuff the prospectors would need.

As a young Brummie in the 1950s, we regularly got parcels from my aunt in the US. Even to me as a 7 year old, these parcels contained items you could only dream of getting in this country. My aunt sent items like chiffon dresses for me, a plastic fringed jacket for my brother and beaded items (like belts, purses) allegedly made by native/indigenous Americans. She also sent little packets of Dental Floss before it was even heard of in this country.

I wore my chiffon dresses for ballroom dancing lessons at Enid Godwin’s in Perry Barr, a far cry from the Hollywood shop where they were bought. But it was obvious even to me (although as a 7 year old, not in these exact words) that America was far wealthier than we were in post-war Britain. I so wanted to be my aunt when I grew up and even started to use a fake American accent for a while. She’d often come over to England for a few weeks and always wore quite amazing clothes. However, when my mum went out to visit her in California in the 1970s the two striking observations she made when she returned were the clothes were cheap and poorly made and you could furnish a house with the good furniture that was left out on the street as ‘trash’. My first inkling of a throwaway society that would also hit England in time.

One observation of visiting the States in recent years is around the issue of respect. Let me explain. While out with my son driving along he said of the car ahead of us:
‘that’s a vet in front’.
So you can spot veterans even by their cars. Their service is automatically recognised, they receive all sorts of discounts and special deals and the respect is even vocalised while out and about. I’ve often heard shop assistants etc comment “thank you for your service” if they know someone has served. Now this might sound cringey to some Brits, but I like that there’s real respect for those who’ve served for their country. Same goes with the use of ‘Sir’ and ‘Ma’am’.
Viv.
Viv, I remember those gifts! My sister who was here sent me shirts with button down collars in the late 50' great for an early teenager. But the gift of gifts was when we were about to be married in 1969 my Aunt Daisey (who was married at the church on the corner of Trinity & Birchfield Rds. reception at the Crown & Cushion) sent my wife service for 12 English Renaissance china & Waterford crystal red & white wine plus water!

My family who lived in Smethwick moved to the USA in the late 1800s on a cattle ship they settled in Wallingford Connecticut USA and started up a printing co, I found this ink blotter on eBay!! MY Grandfather did not like the USA and returned to Smethwick and lived in a council house all his life. He worked at the Carriage works all his life and lived into his 100s His Brother who stayed in the USA died very wealthy also in his 100s. Of course, IS SMETHWICK considered Brum now?

Attachments

• crump 001.jpg
    crump 001.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

‘that’s a vet in front’.
Viv.
Yes I remember a lovely dress my aunt sent me so different from the ones Mum could afford. I also remember their visits to Sutton when my uncle was stationed in Germany. He had a big American car and showed us how to make Pizza(unheard of in late 50s Sutton). Their life seemed so glamorous and colouful. I also recognise what you are saying about the respect for vets. When I visited my family in Kentucky, my aunt was widowed but could still shop at discounted costs at the PX. My cousin, who was ex military, got college fees subsidised for training.

My family who lived in Smethwick moved to the USA in the late 1800s on a cate ship they settled in Wallingford Connecticut USA and started up a printing co, I found this ink blotter on eBay!! MY GRandfather did not like the USA and returned to Smethwick and lived in a council house all his life. He worked at the Carriage works all his life and lived into his 100s His Brother who stayed in the USA died very wealthy also in his 100s. Of course, IS SMETHWICK considered Brum now?
No, though there is talk of 'a Greater Birmingham' by Andy Street the current mayor - but Smethwick is in Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council. I think that this would be resisted by many local politicians who cherish their separate identity. But cross Bearwood or Hagley Road in Bearwood and you are in Birmingham. I think some younger people do think that Smethwick is in Birmingham. Derek

Back