• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Re: The strike of 1981.

Hello Jean,

Ask your husband, does he remember the name of the Union Convenor during that dispute. I worked at Inde Coope of Burton at the time, and a few of us was talking about the Breweries etc. But nobody could recall his name. Would appreciate it if you could name him, thanks Barrye

Re: The strike of 1981.

Ken Bradly and Decklyn Smyth was the two names I recall from those days. Mike

hi jean ; yes i remember it very well ; and that strike in my eyes was the down fall of the company it neverreally gained its foot hold
back on the market i was an ansells man ; do you remember the advert are you an ansells man drinker in the papers
and when they eventualy foldedsome of the workers formed a co/operitive and formed the aston mannor brewing at thimble lane
and a good pint they produced i beleive it was doug ellisss son in law whom was the managering director there when it started it up incidently
whom recalls doug ellis travel agenceny in he paradise circus
and sylv; do you recall all the workers used to wear cloggs in and around the ansells brewery all there workrs used to have them working in the brewey every day you could hear an army of the workrs walking down the lichfield rd in there dinner hour in there brown overalls and there dutch cloggs banging
along the pavements of lichfield rd scurrying o astons the cake shop at the botom of our terace and the rest queing up to get in and out
of thompsons the butchers this is during the early yeas of the 1940,s doyou know whatyear did ansells introduce the cloggs please
merry christmas to each and every one of you all and best wishes for the year of 2012 alan astonian;;;;;

Thanks for answering that Mick. We see one of them in Bewdley and he avoids Pete like the plague. Yes Alan the strike was awful. Pete was in hospital at the time they voted to strike and he said what would happen.

Hi jean
my uncle frank marsden worked there at aston cross on the drays delivering the barrells from the motor
l orries and prior to that he was on the horse and carts
during he forties and fifteis he lived at number tenpark street ten doors from the vine pub lichfield rd
he was born in wiggan and kept his accent to the end he died in around fifty six alan astonian

For anyone who remembers my uncle, Siddy Timmins - drayman, footballer and youth team football coach. I have the sad misfortune to inform you that Siddy passed away this morning after being involved in a tragic accident in Gt Francis Street on Wednesday afternoon.

Chocks

Oh Chocks that is such awful news I didn't know your uncle but I do know you. My condolences to all the family.

Chocks Pete said he remembers Timmins but said when he get's up it will all seem clearer So sorry. Jean.

hi Chocks sorry to hear about your uncle Siddy Timmins it's a sad lose My brother inlaw John Ravenscroft would have known Siddy because he was the football manager over the Ansells team.
Regards. Richard.

hi Chocks sorry to hear about your uncle Siddy Timmins it's a sad lose My brother inlaw John Ravenscroft would have known Siddy because he was the football manager over the Ansells team.
Regards. Richard.

Thanks Richard.
John may well have known our Sid and other members of my family who played for the ansells team.

:encouragement:Thanks for that link Brumboozer will pass it onto my brother and Pete will take a look later.:encouragement: Jean.

hi brumboozer
you are a star and a scholar; i cannot thank you enough for all this valuable information ;and pictures and pages of it all ;
i grew up yards from the wentire brewery and i recall the little shops we had on the front of the new frontage and along the lichfield rd
along that frontage there was terraces and courts which i recall from the day i was born and lived up them my self right along the road to
upper portland street with the shire horse and drays coming and going and the horse trough across the rd in the middle of the rd with horses being watered before delivery and when they came back i also recall the silly things me and my mate collin gaskin used to do when they built there knew power system in the back end of the brewy where the new motor vechiles used to go in and out and they built a whopping big pitt for all there slack coal was stored
we would look across if any body was in the time keepoers yard office and jump twenty five feet at least int this coal of slag we would sink up to our neckes and we struggled to pull our selves out of it and of course no one would see two silly nipers down the well pitt
it had a huge cradle of a shovel to pick up the coal for the boilers then we would have to climbup the steel ladders afix to the wall to get out ; once we got to the topp we would peep over the concrete floor and sree if any body was about and run like the clappers out of the yard before any body came
at the time we thought it was fun at eight yeatrs old but when you get older you think how stupid it was we always laughted when we goyt out of the yard
yes i can recall the years it took to redevelop that ansells from start to finish from one end to the other end of lichfield rd
mom worked there as a cleaner with aunty ede whom worked there and lived along the rd fromus in park street ten doors from the vine ;
uncle frank from wiggan was a drayman there for donkeys years he had a very broad accent and he used to wear a very large leather belt around id stomach because he was a huge man ;his name was frank marsden ; he died whilst working for ansells and the old man ran the golden cross at aston cross and done all the local pubs ajacent to the brewery releifes
when i saw the picture of the new office front ; on the thread my mind and body felt a shuddor and my mind went into a flurry of seniment and memorys
i had a sudden cold feel of year years but it was brillients i hope its okay if i can down load all these info; and pictures
thanks brum i coiuuld go on gossiping but i better get of the site ; thanks a million ; best wishes astonian;;

Ansells Nut Brown ale, spent a few bob on that! What happened to Mitchells and Butlers think they had a Brew on Snow Hill or close to Smethwick ? John Crump OldstuckwithNewcastleBrownBrit. Parker, Co USA

A couple of adverts to wet your whistle John. Hope they have gone on?. Jean.

Attachments

• cc2.jpg
    cc2.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 31
  • cc5.jpg
    cc5.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 31
The EXPORT was great and one of my favorites thanks Jean. Happy BURP! memories, John Crump OldBURPBURP Brit Parker, Co USA

Back