• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ansells Brewery

Found this in an old football programme had to crop it to focus on the Ansells theme , apologies if it has been posted before.

Attachments

• 3448ABE1-9551-47A3-A325-B853C55ABB19.jpeg
    3448ABE1-9551-47A3-A325-B853C55ABB19.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 12
Beer Kegs being stacked at Ansells Brewery Aston mid 1970 ish

Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• 495B6DC7-C9C7-45C8-9027-BDC4DF71245F.jpeg
    495B6DC7-C9C7-45C8-9027-BDC4DF71245F.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 26C0C918-41A1-4D8F-B247-202A87B5D88C.jpeg
    26C0C918-41A1-4D8F-B247-202A87B5D88C.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 14
Hello Tony B,
Seasons Greetings to you and yours.
I am amazed the Raven is still there, as it must be prime development land for housing!!!
I had forgot about the garden at the rear , and the view across the Cole towards Cole Hall Lane.
The Richmond on the Bordesley Green Road / Richmond Rd junction, along with the Hobmoor , Speedwell all pubs of decent size have all fell to the developer.
My dad used to drink in the Raven in the mid 70s remember going there Christmas night where the landlord used to sell tickets and have an open bar, my uncle Gary Bennett was the drummer who used to play in the big room every weekend I don’t recall the landlords name but I remember him selling the Raven to buy a bar in I believe Spain, unfortunately he passed away just after moving there

Does anyone remember the Ansells outdoor on the corner of Raymond Road Alum Rock which was run by Mr and Mrs Rymell. I used to play hopscotch by the wall of the outdoor, lived in Raymond Road, from my birth till 1956 when we left when I was 10.

Winson Green Tavern Lodge Road Birmingham, the Ansells Fluffy Squirrel sign
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• D5EA293F-31A5-49B4-9295-A7AA7D007C6B.jpeg
    D5EA293F-31A5-49B4-9295-A7AA7D007C6B.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 9
The Mermaid Sparkhill, a popular pub in the 70’s on a Thursday and Frida.
Also a regular pick up place for the (then) Irish community looking for casual work on construction sites ; from building to pipe laying, concreting, etc.
I did a few ‘shifts’ there my mates to earn a few quid some weekends, the only issue was if you did a good shift on a Saturday by the time you got home and washed , you were to tired to go out on the night to spend your earnings , but great memories

Attachments

• 7C69B32A-8521-4F7C-A439-F339B84F5A04.jpeg
    7C69B32A-8521-4F7C-A439-F339B84F5A04.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 22
The strike of 1981.

:D Does anyone remember the strike of 1981 at Ansells?. My brother used to work at Holte Street and my husband was on the fermentation side of the brewing at Aston Cross. He later moved to Aldridge and finished at Carlsberg Gravely Park. :D Bye for now. Jean.
I was Ansells Aldridge during the strike. I took redundancy as many of us did, the money was so good and if your were of working age you could get a another job quite easily. I had beer tickets too it was a choice of those or the money. If you had the tickets some of the managed house managers would cash them in for you and you got more than if you took the money from the brewery which of course was taxed. Everyone had a job it do and you got on with it, there was no way you could leave any of it until the next day. If anyone was off sick or on holiday all the others in the same dept would chip in and get it all done.
Good times.

Mooching about, looking for something else, and what do I find?

And to top it all, It still has the full set.

These would have come from The Old Mill, West Heath, where my father drank, and played Does, and darts in his latter years. He had always been an M&B man, until we moved and lived closer to The Mill, than the Man on the Moon.

Steve.

Steve.
just noticed this post..i have our dads full set of m and b dominoes complete with instructions...strange as he was always an ansells mild drinker

lyn

Last edited:
I was Ansells Aldridge during the strike. I took redundancy as many of us did, the money was so good and if your were of working age you could get a another job quite easily. I had beer tickets too it was a choice of those or the money. If you had the tickets some of the managed house managers would cash them in for you and you got more than if you took the money from the brewery which of course was taxed. Everyone had a job it do and you got on with it, there was no way you could leave any of it until the next day. If anyone was off sick or on holiday all the others in the same dept would chip in and get it all done.
Good times.
Hi Big John, I was at Aldridge, What is your second name?

Back