• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

raz ullah

master brummie
Hi all my best mate Colin Hunt worked there as a Carpenter until the strike wrecked his job he worked out of Telsen Stores , maintaining the pubs making Back Fittings , Counter Tops etc etc it was a good job Colin enjoyed it his dad Frank also worked in the stores at Telsen. RIP Colin >
Sorry about that just stating what a lot of Ansells Workers and Colin thought at the time of the strike.

SamChurch

Hi there - bit late to this. My Grandad and Dad worked for Ansells in the 60s/70s/80s and actually my dad in the 90s I think at Carlsberg! My Grandad was Harry Church and my dad is Des Church. I remember Ansells doing the BRMB walk - around the 11 bus route and they were rolling a barrel. My dad stopped at every pub and had to jump on the bus to catch up with the barrel! My mom got a phone call about 8pm saying my dad needing picking up from the Ansells club as he was asleep on the bowling green!

gravilla

A big C&W fan the brewery stalwart Alex Brackstone died a few weeks ago aged 91. Remembered by many I am sure. Worked there for over 35 years.

I remeber Alex Brackstone. I worked at Ansells for 10 years (1971-81). For a few years I worked in the Production Wages Office and I always remember him. Always had a smile on his face and always in his white overalls. Even now, I can recall some guys clock numbers....Lol

gravilla

Jimmy Jones was originally on the Transport and them moved to the Security (gateman) staff working for John Powers. He eventually became the "Sergeant" of the Security Dept. and was in charge of burning old returned beer tickets in the Boiler Room, allegedly many of which did not reach the flames as he and his compatriot Les Ward were very "clumsy". Both died years ago.

I remember Jimmy Jones, Les Ward and Ken Walton, the three "Sergents". They would take it in turns driving me or one of my colleagues to Aldridge Depot on a Thursday to pay the wages out. Those were the days.

bishop street

Brummie babby
Hello, one and all.

I have lurked for a long time, and have finally registered, hoping that this may be of interest on this thread.

My wife's Grandfather was a Brewer at Aston. He started there in 1919. When he had been there for 40 years, he was presented with a canteen of cutlery, and a watch. This is the occasion.

The canteen of cutlery is easy to see, but the watch is just visible below the arm of the gentleman making the presentation.

The watch, engraving on the back.

A little family history, in safe hands.

My own brother worked at Aston, on Security, until it closed after the strike. I visited the sample room on more than one occasion.

Steve.
What was your brother's name?

bishop street

Brummie babby
Vic T Ellis Marsh Hill. wife's name Pat.
Steve is there a way I could contact you sometime? Phone or email? Is there a private message facility on here?

BigJohn

proper brummie kid
Ansells brewery.

:D Hi 500 miles. What were your brother and fathers names?. My brothers is Albert Lyndon who was a checker and my husbands is Pete Smith who was on the brewing to begin with then on the dreys finishing off as chargehand in the warehouse at Gravelly Park. Bye for now. Jean.:D
I remember Albert Lyndon the Checker at Aldridge. He was a nice chap. Good at his job and sociable.My wife Avril worked there for 10 years. It was like a family everyone knew everyone else.

BigJohn

proper brummie kid
Any of you remember my dad "Ramrod" Ron Timmins (also known as "Cowboy") or my Uncle, Sid Timmins who was the Ansells Youth Team Football Coach or my other Uncle David "Spuddy" Baker. They all worked as draymen in the 60's and early 70,s ?
My wife remembers Sid Timmins from when he worked at Ansells and before then at Geo Pike. Sid very kindly took my wife back to her parents house after her first office party at 16 and she got drunk. He made sure she was safe and sound before he left. She was very surprised to see him again at Ansells Aldrige He told her that it was him who took her home and she would not have known who it was otherwise. She never drunk after that day and has been tee total all of her life.

paulyx

master brummie
I remember Sid on the football side he was a very nice man. I may have a foto somewhere of him with the youth team.

paulyx

master brummie
index.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_142526.jpg
    IMG_20210423_142526.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 151

bishop street

Brummie babby
I meant the guy on the left of him in the photo behind Stan Yates head. The one you can only see the top half of his face. He was also a Brian who worked in the Brewery, I think Phase one and was a Union Rep. You must be Paul P, an excellent amateur footballer as I remember.