• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Atkinsons Brewery

O

O.C.

Atkinson Brewery photo courtesy of Alton Douglas

Attachments

• Atkinson Brewery 1958.jpg
    Atkinson Brewery 1958.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 56
Cromwell, many thanks for the photo, I started at Atkinsons Brewery about 27th or 28th December 1952 a few days after my 15th birthday. The doorway just to the right of the group of children was where the office staff entered the building. Further down the street you can see some houses with bay windows my in-laws lived down the first entry, they were back houses but not back to back, as they had front and back gardens, two rooms and a kitchen down, and two large bedrooms and a box room upstairs. I think the address was 5 back of 87 Queens Road.

During the war Queens Road was badly bombed but the residents took refuge in the cellars of the brewery and most were unhurt, a brother in law of mine who I never knew, was on leave from the RAF and decided to stay in bed, the house suffered blast damage and he was blown through the bedroom window, but not badly hurt.
He went back to the RAF after his leave, but unfortunately was killed over Cologne in March 1945, after serving since 1939.

Sylvia I heavily cropped photo to show detail but will send you complete photo by e-mail

I have a recollection of Atkinson's brewery running steam drays before the second world war, perhaps during as well. I seem to remeber a chain drive to the rear axle beneath the platform which the barrels stood on. I don't think it was Davenport's, but I think Ansell's may have had some too.
Peter

HI CROM ,
TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YOU,
YET AGAIN YOU HAVE BROUGHT CHILDHOOD MEMORIES FLOODING BACK TO
ME AND I ,THERE SAY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FORUM , WITH YOUR CRACKING PICS.
I REMEMBER WALKING ALONG THOSE GATE AND LOOKING IN
AND SEEING THE DRAYMEN , AND THE COOPERS MEN
MAKING THE BARRELLS .
ME AND MY FRIEND COLIN GASKIN , WHOM WAS IN THE
STAFFORD REGIMENT, TANKS DIVION ,
HAS YOU KNOW WE WAS BOTH FROM CROMWELL TERRACE ,
LICHFIELD ROAD ,NEXT TO THOMPSON,S THE BUTCHERS .
A FANTASTIC CLEAR CUT AND DOWN LOADED PIC ,
DAVID BAILLY , COULD,NT HAVE DONE BETTER .
THANKS AGAIN CROMIE , HAVE A NICE DAY ,

yes there is
i believe its dowm thimble mill lane aston ,
and its called aston mannor brewery
i cannot recall when it first started , many years ago just after that ansells brewey
started to close down ,and the reduncies was started to be given out
there was a number of the ansells worker got together
with there money pulled tgether and started up the cosortem
and made a start and named it aston mannor brewery
eventualy as time went on i think they was struggling
then a guy , whom was DOUG ELLISS,S VILLA DIRECTOR ] SON IN LAW - OR BROTHER INLAW ,
MOVED IN AND BAILED THEM OUT AND TOOK OVER
AND EXPANED THE BREWERY , AND THEY ARE STILL THERE TODAY ,
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

Mr Google gives us about 213 000 sites related to the Aston Manor Brewery topic. You can find the Aston Manor Brewery website proper on:
https://www.astonmanor.co.uk/
But I can't say it will tell you a lot. I have read somewhere recently of a long-running legal dispute the company has been involved with, which I would think could dissipate their resouces a bit.
Merry Xmas, by the way
Peter

hi all. just thought i would post this picture of an original atkinsons beer mat. it belongs to my brother. hes got hundreds of different ones. wales.

Attachments

• Birmingham Atkinsons Beer Mat.jpg
    Birmingham Atkinsons Beer Mat.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for pic of Atkinsons Brewery, I was born in one of their houses in 1930 just below the Brewery down on the left in a house behind Mrs Staggs general shop' the gap beyond the bottom houses on the left is were the landmine landed during the war . Eric

the building to the left just above the children is the Queens pub, my dads local,that first doorway is the entrance to the "snug" where my nan would go. She also lived in Queens Rd. I went to live with her in 1943 when I was 13 after my mum died (we ived in Shirley then)I can remeber carrying a big purple jug up to the outdoor and getting 2 pints for nan and grandad and having a sip on the way back. Happy days

Here's the whole photo of the pub & the brewery, and also another photo of the brewery. I'm sorry but I do not know enough of the history of the area to know if this part of the brewery was also in Queens Rd.

Phil

Attachments

• Aston The Queens Hotel 1966 Aston Queens Rd.jpg
    Aston The Queens Hotel 1966 Aston Queens Rd.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Atkinson Brewery 1958.jpg
    Atkinson Brewery 1958.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 86
pmc1947 Most grateful for pics. Yes the one photo more or less joins with the other you have got the whole road from Church Lane to Groverner Rd I was born down the first entry below the brewery in 1930 (the brewery owned the houses initially to rent to their employees but my father never worked for them so the rules must have changed). The reason the houses come to an abrupt finish a land mine destroyed all the rest in 1940/41. MY Gran lived opposite our entry at No. 84. Thanks again my sisters and I will cherish these Pics. Eric Cook

Didn't see Cookies last post, so prepared this map to show brewery a,d the frontage of the second of Phils pictures (in brown), Will put it on anyway
Mike

atkinsons_brewery_c_1913.jpg

yes there is
i believe its dowm thimble mill lane aston ,
and its called aston mannor brewery
i cannot recall when it first started , many years ago just after that ansells brewey
started to close down ,and the reduncies was started to be given out
there was a number of the ansells worker got together
with there money pulled tgether and started up the cosortem
and made a start and named it aston mannor brewery
eventualy as time went on i think they was struggling
then a guy , whom was DOUG ELLISS,S VILLA DIRECTOR ] SON IN LAW - OR BROTHER INLAW ,
MOVED IN AND BAILED THEM OUT AND TOOK OVER
AND EXPANED THE BREWERY , AND THEY ARE STILL THERE TODAY ,
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;
I recall the brewery was built on the site of a previous business, the main reason was so they could drill their own borehole down to the artesian well which lies under the area. Newton's, later GKN also used water from the artesian well. Teffen

The sad end of Atkinsons Brewery, photos by the late Keith Berry RIP. Len.

Attachments

• 69654179_Atkinsons_Brewery[1].jpg
    69654179_Atkinsons_Brewery[1].jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 43
Is the brown marked area not now QUEENS ROAD POLICE STATION? Re that water table GEC also used it They had a pumping station up by the MAGNET CLUB.

Last edited:
Atkinsons Brewery was situated in Queens Road Aston, they also owned most of the houses on the brewery side of Queens Road, I was born in one of them (3/89 Queens Road) in June 1930). I remember the dray horses clip clopping up the road, often feeding them, also waking up to the smell of the hops. Next door to the brewery , on the corner of Church Lane was one of their pubs, the Queens, often known locally as the "top Queens" the haunt of my Dad and his Mom and Dad who lived opposite at 84 Queens Road. During the war the bottom half of Queens Rd was demolished by a land mine with little or no damage to the Brewery, by then we were living in Shirley, but my Nan was still living there. Eric

What beer do people drink in Birmingham these days? Is it the one-size-fits-all Yorkshire rubbish; or foreign lagers? Up in the North-East we've now lost almost all of our regional beers; it's just John Smiths, Tetley, Stones or other similar invaders.

Back