• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Vwyetiman

Just found this site and immediately searched for Ansells Brewery. My father and Grandfather both worked there. Used to go to the social club most Saturday nights with my parents throughout the 70’s including the great bonfire on November 5. Happy times.

Andrew V

Brummie babby
My dad worked at Aston Cross as a driver I believe from mid 60s until the early 80s he worked with Geoff Stubbs also known as stubby My dad was Billy Vaughan who paced away in December 2010 I used to play for the the youth team that was managed by Sid Timmons and coached and trained by Kenny Burns and Jimmy Calderwood, I recall training on a Thursday evening on the sand pitch which I believe had only one set of posts, that’s all I needed as I was a keeper, we used to stay in the social club afterwards while Kenny burns and jimmy Calderwood used to fill everyone in on all things Blues, No interest to me as I am and always have been from the claret and blue side, I do remember them getting severely drunk some Thursdays though,

chocks2

master brummie
My dad worked at Aston Cross as a driver I believe from mid 60s until the early 80s he worked with Geoff Stubbs also known as stubby My dad was Billy Vaughan who paced away in December 2010 I used to play for the the youth team that was managed by Sid Timmons and coached and trained by Kenny Burns and Jimmy Calderwood, I recall training on a Thursday evening on the sand pitch which I believe had only one set of posts, that’s all I needed as I was a keeper, we used to stay in the social club afterwards while Kenny burns and jimmy Calderwood used to fill everyone in on all things Blues, No interest to me as I am and always have been from the claret and blue side, I do remember them getting severely drunk some Thursdays though,
It was Sid Timmins and he was my uncle. He passed away after a tragic accident in Dec' 2011. I used to come down with Sid and watch the training when I was on leave from the Navy and I spent a weekend with the youth team in Monmouth once. I don't remember Kenny Burns being there but Jimmy Calderwood was and Trevor Francis went down too. The only thing I remember about the weekend was all of us getting pretty drunk in the hotel that night. Don't remember how well the lads did in the game next morning. Maybe you was on that trip Andrew?

Andrew V

Brummie babby
It was Sid Timmins and he was my uncle. He passed away after a tragic accident in Dec' 2011. I used to come down with Sid and watch the training when I was on leave from the Navy and I spent a weekend with the youth team in Monmouth once. I don't remember Kenny Burns being there but Jimmy Calderwood was and Trevor Francis went down too. The only thing I remember about the weekend was all of us getting pretty drunk in the hotel that night. Don't remember how well the lads did in the game next morning. Maybe you was on that trip Andrew?

Andrew V

Brummie babby
I did go on the tour to Pembroke in Wales, went on the Friday evening and played games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, also played a game on the way home on the Monday I remember going for dinner after the Monday game in an old airforce hanger it was just before or after the seven bridge, sorry to hear about your uncle, Sid was a nice bloke he took me under his wing a bit when I joined the football club, I think because he was like me a goalkeeper, he had ties to wolves if I remember correctly he actually brought me the first ever pair ok goalie gloves I ever owned, I was only around 14 /15 at the time but Sid left a lasting impression on me. The last time I saw him was when I was playing for the holte pub by villa park and he happened to be watching the team we were playing, my dad spoke of him and the rest of the an lads fondly up until he passed from cancer in December 2010

chocks2

master brummie
I did go on the tour to Pembroke in Wales, went on the Friday evening and played games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, also played a game on the way home on the Monday I remember going for dinner after the Monday game in an old airforce hanger it was just before or after the seven bridge, sorry to hear about your uncle, Sid was a nice bloke he took me under his wing a bit when I joined the football club, I think because he was like me a goalkeeper, he had ties to wolves if I remember correctly he actually brought me the first ever pair ok goalie gloves I ever owned, I was only around 14 /15 at the time but Sid left a lasting impression on me. The last time I saw him was when I was playing for the holte pub by villa park and he happened to be watching the team we were playing, my dad spoke of him and the rest of the an lads fondly up until he passed from cancer in December 2010
That must be a different trip to the Monmouth one I mentioned Andrew. Sid had a heart of gold and his connections with football was vast. He was on the youth books for Aston Villa before signing for Wolves. He then moved to Port Vale for a while before giving up playing. He was then involved with the Blues for a long time but at what capacity I don't know but the Blues were always his first love. When I joined the RN, Sid moved into our house (my dad was his older brother Ron Timmins, who also worked at Ansells) and stayed there until he married again. I knew your dad slightly through Sid, sorry to hear he's passed. My dad passed away last year and as I said, Sid passed away a few years ago. It seems like all the old school have gone now. Sad but that's the way it goes. All the best to you Andrew. Thanks for the mention of Sid.