• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

And it all started with Zebo...

Shortie

master brummie
A few weeks ago, I noticed on the 'Products that have faded away' thread, that someone had written about Zebo. Now I don't remember the product, but I do remember the adverts - painted on the side of shops, etc. I read all of the post, and was doubly interested because I noticed an address that I knew, and then I looked at the name of the person posting it, and what a surprise! The person who had written about Zebo was a cousin of mine, who I last saw in 1957, at my grandmother's house in Sheldon. I had often wondered what had happened to him. Of course I sent him an IM, and we started corresponding. Paul was the adopted son of my grandmother's half sister, of whom she was particularly fond, and after my grandfather died, they used to holiday together. I have been researching family history for twelve years now, and as anyone who does research knows, you become VERY nosey. Paul's birth name was quite different from the one he was given upon adoption, and once I knew it, I just naturally (being very nosy as aforementioned) found the name of his birth mother. Neither of us knew what was to happen then, and we are both reeling from the discovery, but Paul more than myself, naturally.

Paul found he was born in Bodmin, and his mother had come from a village called Luxulyan (I think I have spelt it correctly). He Googled the village and was interested in a group who were preserving the natural beauty of the place - and it really is lovely. Out of curiosity, Paul emailed someone mentioned on the site, and as luck would have it, this lady has, for years, been reuniting adoptees with their own families. To cut a long story short, Paul has gone from being an only child, parents long passed on, to one with about a hundred new close relations. Paul is one of eight children, seven of whom are in contact, and now Paul is in touch with most of these and has even met his brother Mike, sister Doris, spoken on the phone to Peter, living in Germany, and Yvonne who lives in Australia. The very oddest thing is that in 2004, Cilla Black featured the family on 'Surprise Surprise', and on that programme the only one they did not trace was Paul, that is because his birth name was Kelwyn and it was Kelwyn they were looking for. Mike was particularly interested in Kelwyn and kept saying to Cilla 'where is our other brother?'. Well now, Mike has his brother and they seem to get on very well indeed. Mike has a neice who lives a couple of miles from myself and Paul and Sandra have met too.

I am telling this tale for more than one reason - it needs to be told, but also I want to thank people from the Forum who assisted in the initial search for people who were related (I could find only one initially) and I think one of those was Maurice. Mikejee also assisted with Electoral Rolls during the 1930's and 1940s. So from not just myself, but from Paul Whalley, thank you for all who helped, even if I have not remembered who you are, there are several enormously grateful people - me and Paul, and of course, his new found family.

Thanks and God Bless

Shortie

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this wonderful bit of information with such a happy conclusion.Brought tears to my eyes as I read on.Dek

Ah Dek, you old softie! Poor Paul is so boggled by all this, I have once or twice felt guilty for starting the ball rolling, but he is enjoying it. Plans are afoot for him to visit sister Kathleen and brother John in the Isle of Man. Watch this space.......

Shortie

Thanks for a really lovely story, that's cheered me up no end, just what I needed.
By the way, I've never heard of Zebo.
Lynne.

wonderful story shortie..you have worked so hard bringing it all together..it was so good to meet paul a few weeks ago at the jewellers arms and i could tell by the way he spoke that he was quite taken aback by it all....

lovely happy ending...

lyn..x

Hi shortie, you need not feel guilty about as you put it,starting it all I am just so happy that you did,it is thanx to you and Ann in Bodmin that I have found my biological family and met my brother Mike and my sister in law Judy as you know I went for Sunday lunch with my niece Sandra a couple of weeks ago and met my Sister Doris my brother in Germany phones me also even tho it is always late at night and I am in bed LOL I chat with Yvonne in Australia about 3 times a week. My head is still reeling from this discovery and slowly but surely I am coming to terms with it all. Mike and I meet for a couple of drinks about every 2 weeks and we do remain gentlemen through out the proceedings LOL, I hope that sometime in the near future I will meet my Sister Kathleen and John her husband, along with Mike and Judy. I do remember meeting Lyn at the jewelers arms and also Postie I really did enjoy that meeting even if it was the first one I ever attended. Shortie I also need to thank you for bringing Sandra along the other week and showing me the resting places of my adopted grandparents etc. Like I said at the time I always looked on Tina and Claude as my real Mom and Dad I know I didnt have much time with Dad as he died 4 years after I was adopted but to me they both gave me love by the lorry load and I had a very happy childhood.
I would like at this moment to also say thanx to the people at the forum meet in The Jewelers Arms for making the experience so enjoyable and hope that we meet again next time. Take care Shortie or should I say my little Niece and once again THANK YOU for everything you have done for me and for the happiness you have given me and my biological family Paul Whalley xxx

Oh Paul, nice of you to comment. Have to remind you I am your cousin though, not your niece!! See you as soon as I can manage.

From the short one.

How lovely to hear about such a positive story and its outcomes - hope your meetings with your other siblings are just as joyful. Well done Shortie.
Sheri

Shortie see what I mean about I am stilled a bit mixed up LOL is it old age I ask myself or a bit of senility ???
Love from the old un

Sheri I have had happy reunions with the family I have met so far. My Brother in Germany phones me late at night when I am in bed but I am just happy to talk with him I met my sister she is older than me but we had a good time at my nieces when she invited me over for Sunday lunch Like I have said I meet my older brother every couple of weeks as I dont want to push myself onto him if you can understand that, it must be as strange to him as it is to me after all these years and I owe all of this to one chance posting(my first) on the forum

What a great piece of research with such a happy ending, so good to have some good news and it shows again how supportive the forum is.
Sue

What a lovely story with such a happy ending, I am so pleased for you Paul, and thanks Shortie for being VERY nosey, and starting the ball rolling. One never knows what will happen when we post something on the Forum even as mundane as Zebo!! This isn't the first happy family reunion on the Forum, let's hope there will be more.

Back