• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

GEFF

Geff
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WENT TO ALSTON ROAD SENIOR BOYS SCHOOL , BORDESLEY GREEN EAST, I LEFT IN 1940 AFTER BEING ON HALF DAYS THROUGH THE APPROACH OF WAR MESSING US ABOUT. IN PARTICULAR I AM LOOKING FOR BILLY WEBB, LEWIS FOX, HARRY WOOD, JACKY DAYTON.
GEFF

Alston Road School

Hi Geff

not certain if this is quite what you were looking for but my dad Phil Carr went to Alston Road and left I think in 1940 (he was born in 1927). He lived at 174 Eastfield Road which was opposite Foxwell. His older brother was Frank and his sister Mary. Mary died after the war but both Frank and dad were in the RAF. Dad was in the home guard for a bit too.

Dad knew a Vic Payne and someone called Beasley who he thinks was a bookies runner, also a Norman.

Dads not really into the internet but if you want to ask him anything you can always telephone on 01803 391310.

Dave

Alston Road School

Hi Dave C, Thanks for your message, I am a year older than your dad, I don`t recall the name, I do remember a lad called Ernie Tudor who lived
opposite the bottom of Foxwell Road, he lost the bottom of his leg in Normandy. I lived in Foxwell and lived 4 doors away from Frank Beasley
the booky. I should have known your Dad by sight going to the same school. Geff

Alston Road School

Hi Geff

thanks for getting in touch, i'll pass your email on to him tomorrow. I have attached a photo of him as a boy in the back garden in Eastfield Road.

Dave

Alston Road School

Hi Mike

a bit late I think, having said that we were friends in Northfield at that time with a Jeannie and John Jenks who emigrated to Australia, no relation I suppose?

Dave

Alston Road School

Hi Geff

Dad has asked if you remember Freddie Lee or the Paynes (brother and sister), also do you remember the name of Frank Beesleys son?

Also a lad named Norman who lived along Foxhole, can't remember his surname.

thanks

Dave

Alston Road School

Hi Dave C, Tell your dad I don`t remember those names, it`s a blinking long while ago. I do remember John Beasley, the last I saw of him was in Alexandria Egypt in 1947, a few lads an myself were celebrating our forthcoming demob and were on the way home after 2+ years in Palestine, he was an M.P. and stopped us for making a noise, I believe he went to America. He had a brother Ron who was killed in the Navy, he was friends with my brother who was also killed in the Navy. I couldn`t find your Dads photo??
Geff

alston Road School

Thanks Geff

I tried to attach a photo to my last reply but I can't see it either. I'll try again.

Dave

Alston Road School
Have read all through the replies about the above. I went there from 1931 to August 1940 and left just in time for the Blitz. Does anyone remember "Troachy"? he was an old boy probably ex-service from WW1. He had a wicker basket trolley on wheels and was always at the corner of Repton Road and Alston Road every lunch time. He sold troach and peppermint rock in small bags and one bag would contain a piece of paper with a mark on it. The lucky puchaser would receive a large stick of rock in the shape of a walking stick. The teacher I remember most was Eric Page who accompanied a group of us to Evesham as evacuees. He later served in the RAF and eventually returned to teaching, becoming Head at Castle Bromwich School. Anything there ring a bell? Reg Neal.

ALSTON RD SCHOOL HI REG I was sent to evesham about the same time,we stayed about 3 weeks and then back home for fun and games.Headmasters at alston, irember butler, north,newstead, also a teacher named lang. I lived 3 doors from the tuders, there was also a tommy.i was also in palestine from 46 to 48 i was in the r a f reg.I had a few drinks in the HOLE IN THE WALL in JERUSALEM happy days.my son dave told me about you, i will try to rember more T T F N. phil carr

HI PAM sorry i did not know your dad,but i did know a family by the name of jackson, riing any bells, they lived in pelham rd, i also worked at what was then SOUTHHALLS. phil carr.

I went to Alston Road schools from 1945 to 1952 having earlier attended The Rosary from 1942. Mr Newstead was headmaster in the mixed Juniors and Mr Lang was one of my teachers.

Senior boys: Headmaster: Mr A R Francis ~ Science: Mr D H Rice ~ Woodwork: Mr R E Reeves & Mr L F Martin ~ Staff Assist: Mr V H Skipp.

Form teachers: Mr E Gardner (4.1); Mr H Lees (4.2); Mr A (gunner)Harris (3.1); Mr R Griffiths (3.2); Mr W Berwick (2.1) Mr B Watson (2.2); Mr K Archer (1.1); Mr J Garvey (1.2); Mr K Langmaid (1.1)

Last edited:
Hi Icarus (this is Phil - i'm on Daves computer at the moment), my younger brothers George and David Carr were there late 40s and early 50s. My sister Margaret was also there. I had the cane many a time from Newstead and North, I was of course entirely innocent!!

As regards the woodwork teacher, I don't recall his name but he did have a lenght of 2x2, he would draw a face with chalk on the end of it and if you were out of order, bend over and a face would appear on your backside! Happy days.

In the 30s my sister Mary and brother Frank were also there. I would like to see the list you mentioned, do you need my email or postal address?

TTFN

Phil Carr

Hello Phil Carr. Thanks for reply.Yes, I remember the names you mention. I went to Evesham, Hampton actually, just out side the Town. I was there with Charlie Stokes whose Dad kept The Rising Sun pub in Dale End. I Boarded with Norman Meridith And like you I came home after about three weeks. Did'nt want to miss the Blitz did I? Lost some pals in the bombing ..Dickie Pimm got it in Caldwell Road and a lad called Jennings in Belchers Lane. Had one or twoo close shaves myself with Land Mines in Alumhust Avenue and on the Secondary School Playing Fields, And the direct hits on the old railway bridge in Dorlcot Road. I lived in Banford Road, Our house backed on to the railway line so I suppose we were a nice target. Do you remember who the teacher was that ran the Scouts? What about the Docker Shield we were always trying to win at Football? I really enjoyed my time at the School and it provided a damned good basic education (unlike today!!)to start life. I could go on for ever talking about this. Any one out ther who would like to join in? Reg Neal

Hi Phil

I've checked the whole senior boys roll-call for 1950 and there are no 'CARRs' listed. Your relatives must have left before then or still in junior school.

Hi Phil I don't recall the Jackson family,both my parents have passed away now but will ask my aunt when i see her.My parents were Mann and Hickman,my mom and her sister worked at Southalls.

Hallo Reg, Yes I would like to join in this chat. I went to Hampton Evesham on the 1st Sept 39, and your name rings a bell, I lodged with an old couple on top of the hill from the shop left hand side almost opposite the church. Like you I suffered it for 6 weeks, one Saturday morning I met a school pal, Bert Randle with his bags packed, I asked a silly question, " where are you off to" Brum he replied and within 10 minutes I joined him. I knew the lad Jennings but not Dickie Pimm although I lived in Caldwell Rd. near the shops on the railway side. As you mentioned we were a target for the bombers, a land mine dropped right in front of our house it was badly damaged and we had to live with an auntie for a no. of weeks while it was repaired
About 1990 I owned an M.G Roadster and asked a queston in the M.G. magazine, I got the answer I wanted only to find it came from a Mr. Leek
B,ham. during our correspondence over a no. of months it came about that he was a teacher at Alston Rd. School and also the scout master,he failed to answer one of my letters and I could only assume he had died, he must have been a good age. Does that answer your queston. If you were in the scouts did you know a Lewis Fox? he lived by the hospital on B.G.E.
You must be my age 83. I have a lot more to talk about and I still miss Brum.
Geff Bennett

Hi Geff and all members of Mr. Freemans Class of 1939.I have been searching the old memory banks and have come up with a gold mine of memories,any of the following names ring a bell with any of you 83 year old boys.
TEACHERS. Charlie Adams, Eric Page, Mr. Leek, Mr. Thomson, Mr.Butlher, Mr. North, Mr.Butler. Charlie Adams lodged with a family in Caldwell Road. LADS. Alfie Robinson, Ray Gosling, Lewis Fox, Norman Meridith, Ron Blakeman, Albon Buller, Dickie Pimm,Harvey Tomes, Sam Hardman, Charlie Stokes, Eric Jackson, Eric Grimmett,Alvin Spittle, Freddie Wild, Clifford Franklin, Les Davis,and of course you, Geff Bennett and me Reg Neal. A crowd of us were evacuated to Hampton Evesham where we congregated.
outside the shop at the bottom of the hill. Would be delighted to hear from any of you or families. Start thinking fellas.

Hi Reg, Thanks for the memories, Mr. Butler was head master and Mr. Freeman 2nd in command, Charlie Adams lived 7 doors away from me in Caldwell Road. There was a Mr. Griffiths who went in the R.A.F. I have mentioned Mr. Leek, Mr. Thomson was science master. Now the lads, Lewis Fox was my mate until we went into the army, last I heard of him he was in the Water Orton Golf Club, Eric Grimmett was a mate, Albon Buller I remember. I lodged with a lad named Meridith in Hampton for 6 weeks.
I have very fond memories of Hampton and Evesham my wife and I have been there often in the last few years. the last time, she photographed me standing in the Ferry Boat at Hampton. The old school on Merstow Green now turned into flats. I had a girl friend there who lived in a council house opposite the small shop, Molly was her name and we used to have a cuddle behind the Church until her father caught us one day, "Sigh" those were the days. A few years later I found her grave in the Church yard. Sorry I was late replying, the forum cut me off for a few days? Keep this up, I am enjoying it. We will have to start asking questions about each other soon
or we will run out of subject. Cheers Geff

Hi Geff, nice to hear from you.have noted all the information, although I have to say that your memory is a bit off with regard to Norman Meridith. HE AND I BOARDED TOGETHER ,with a Mr & Mrs. Stanley at No:75, about 12 doors up from the Shop.We used to gather there after our Postal Orders arrived.Norman became an Inspector on the Midland Red Busses through Castle Bromwich and lived there as I did, but he was on the Hall estate and I in Wyckham Road. I think Charlie Adams lodged with a family called Griffiths.On the Sunday morning of September 3rd, a couple of lads and I sat on a bench in the park by the river in Evesham together with two teachers, one was Mr. Eric Page, the other I have forgotten.My abiding memory is that as the clock chimed 11.00.am from the big Bell Tower in the park (remember it?), one teacher turned to the other and said very quietly, ...well it's one way or the other now!.I do not think that I realised the significance of that remark at the time and how it would affect our lives. Would love to speak to you Geff, how do we get in touch, are we allowed to exchange our details on this fascinating service?
All the best. Reg Neal.

Hallo Reg. I know how much your new 3 bedroomed house cost in Wyckham Road, £1250-00. I know because I bought one 2 months before we got married, we lived at 109 Wyckham road for 2 years before we moved to Wales and I reckon you lived at about 115 or 117. Please let me know if my assumption is correct. Our next door neighbour was also an old Alston Road pupil by the name of Rutter. You and your young lady use to go to the Milk Bar near to the "Capitol" cinema in Alum Rock on Saturday mornings. I don`t know if this will ring a bell with you, we had a "Lambretta" scooter while there. We must have been neighbours in Hampton also.
I also remember vividly the 3rd Sept 39 and Chamberlins speech, we were having lunch with our new adopted parents. I have a job to convince some folks when I tell that I was an evacuee at the start of the war and came to a stand still in Hanover Germany at the end with the army. I lost a brother in the conflict and it still hurts. It would be nice to meet but remember we are about 110 miles apart, we will have to think it out. Cheers Geff

Hello Geff. Thanks for your latest. My word don't the memories come back with a rush.Yes we bought the house in Wyckham Road, Plot 40 it was from Walkers in Coleshill as you know. We paid for a few extras and the total bill was £1370. We had saved a bit so put down 20%, to keep the repayments down.Went to Birmingham Incorporated B.S. and paid £6.13.4d a month. We sold it in '54 for £54000. I knew Fred Rutter well and if you were first in your house, you must have sold to a Mrs. Ladd and her son.My old pal Albon Buller from Repton Road lived lower down the road, about 85 or so. So, the Milk Bar, yes that was our regular haunt on Saturday Mornings. I cannot quite place you. but the Lambretta rings a bell. There was Eric Jackson, Sid Sutton,Jack Large, and of course Mabel who served behind the bar. I courted her and of course got preferential treatment when it came to fags which were like gold then, I was always sure of 20 Players. We Married in '51, and still together in our bungalow in Cornwall. Bit more than the 110 miles you mention. Can we exchange phone numbers Geff, Would like to talk.All the best
for now,but I'll be back with lot more to think about.

Hi Reg, Thanks for confirming my long range memory was correct about Wykham Rd. We did the same as you, had extras on the house and our mortgage was £6-11 a month, this is uncanny, we also put £250 deposit down. I cannot understand your sales figures for the house, have you missed a comma or a - out, and you were still there when we sold in 56?
We purchased 109 2 months before we got married ( 55 years ago today ) went to Paris France on honeymoon, came back directly to our new house.
We sold it for £1850-00 Aug.56, and yes it was to Mrs Ladd and her son.
I still maintain that I lodged with a lad named Meredith, he was`nt in my class and I had never met him before at school. He lived in Norton Cresent off Caldwell Rd. Do you recall a lad form Pelham Rd. Dennis Jones he served in the army in Germany and came home with a German wife, she was`nt welcomed in Alum Rock and had a terrible time when she went shopping near the Pelham.
My wife Joyce was a teacher working in Brum having come from Wales to gain experiience, when her father died in 56 we decided to move to Tyn-y-groes village in the Conway Valley, to be near her mother, we built a house there and stayed for 38 years. On retirement we felt we needed more than scenery so moved to the coast. The village was to far away from the things we needed in old age. I think there is a method on the forum were one can send private messages, ref. tel. nos. will look into it.
Nice chatting to each other Reg, I still miss Brum as it was 60 years ago.

Hi Geff,Sorry for the delay, we have had visitors up from Marlborough Road Cas. Brom for about ten days.Now look here Geff, Norman and I shared a bedroom at No:75, twin beds of course and we shared a lot of cofidences, including the fact that he had a step mother who treated him rather badly, I don't mean violence but she made it clear that she did not like him and showed it in many ways. I think his Dad might have been a Policeman.
The lad in Pelham Road was HARRY Jones, I knew him quite well and you are right, his German wife was not made welcome....too soon after the war I suppose.l In 1949 Mabel had a poorly spell and was sent to a Covalescent Home in Conway and I went up to visit her and we spent a day in LLandudno, you may know the Home if it is still there. Did you ever run for the School ? I did and competed at some event at the Alexandra Palace at Great Barr, where the Birchfield Harriers were based. If you did, I have a group photo and you may be on it. All for now would love to speak, work on it Geff. Cheers, Reg.

Hi Geff. Just think,70 years ago tonight we were in Hampton wondering what the hell was happening to our little schoolboy world. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards. Reg Neal.

Hi Reg, sorry for the delay in replying to your last message, we have been on a cruise to the Eastern Med and a week at a resort in Italy. Yes it is along time since we were sent to Evesham, I was the first to leave home in the war and the last to come home afterwards, accepting my 20 year old brother killed on convoy duty in 43, he did`nt make it home. I still miss him after all these years, more since I retired.
I don`t recall saying I lodged with Norman Meridith, The lad I was with was named Meridith so&so. I have forgotten his sir name long ago. Lets beg to differ? I am doing Family History at our local College, it costs £34 a term and it tells you how to go about it, I am into the second course now, and back so far to 1771. There is a 50% reduction for Pensioners in Wales, does the same apply in Cornwall?
Geff

Hallo reg, sorry for the delay, busy man. First of all no i did not play sports for the school, at 9years old i had rheumatic fever and it held me back from getting involved. Yes i do remember "troachie" although i could not afford his sweets.
Joyce and i have decided not to fly abroad again, i had 3 bad dizzy spells while there. For 11 years i have had a pace
maker and the consultant reckons it was the altitude that caused it.
I was the youngist of six, 4 boys two girls, my mother was kept very busy feeding and clothing us, father helped as well. One lad went into the warwicks in sept 39, went to france and came home via dunkirk, was then sent to burma. The next one went into the r.a. In the october 39, he joined the 8th army in egypt then to sicily italy into austria. Did`nt see either of them for more than 6 years. My sister was in the a.t.s. Never went farther than droitwhich. My nearest and dearest brother went into the navy, was attached to the polish navy as a coder saw service on the russian and atlantic convoys. I have researched his service record and came up with remarkable stuff. I have a photo of the u.boat (which sank my brothers destroyer) being bombed from an american aircraft, a photo of the pilot with his plane, and also a photo of the u.boat captain.
Our last evening meal together as a family was the evening before i was evacuated, we have never sat down again as a full family. I joined up earlier than i should, i was an angry young man after losing my brother. I went into the royal engineers as driver of any thing that moved but i did want woodwork. I saw service in europe, and a month after the end of the war we went back to britain and then to palestine which was no joke we lost 478 men and women over the period 1945-48, it was terrorism at its worst, although i came home in 47 and got my job back in shopfitting at "craftinwood " ashted row. Sorry if i have gone on a bit, i don`t know how my mother and father slept at night with there children scattered around the world, each one in a theatre of war. All for now. Geff

Back