• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

No one has mentioned Alston Road School, off Bordesley Green East, near the "Broadway" pub. I went there form 1931-1940. it had all 3 stages, infants , junior, and senior boys. Geff

Hi all
Am conscious that this thread hasn't been active for a while, but I've only just joined the forum.
My dad, Les Seale, went to Alston Road School. He lived in Eastfield Road with his three brothers - George, Bernard and Clifford. Sadly he and his younger brother Clifford are no longer with us. His two elder brothers though are still living in Eastfield Road and are now aged 89 and 85! When I next see them I'll mention the forum to them and see if they have anything to add.
Best wishes to all.
Carol Seale

i lived at 174 eastfield rd, i also went to alston rd, i also worked lawtons doris rd,i think bernard may remember me?

Hi Phil
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm sure Bernard would remember you. He and George still live at 154 Eastfield Rd and, apart from the normal age-related complaints are in good health. Am due to see them in the next couple of weeks or so and will ask Bernard in particular.
Thank you again for your reply.
Carol

My father and his bother attended in the late 30's and early 40's

My father was Dennis Raymond Rose and my Uncle was Tommy Rose.

The were also evacuated to Eversham in 1939. At the time they were living in Little Bromwich Road.

I also attended for 2 years in 1966/67, then migrated to Australia.

Does anyone have any memories to share?

Mark

Re: Alston Road School

Hello Dave and Geff,

In regards to the Beasley family, I am David Beasley and my dad Cyril Beasley took bets at the Broadway Pub. I lived with my family at 32 Foxwell Road until 1952 when I immigrated to America. I was born in 1936 and attended Alston Road Boys School. I had 2 older brothers, Ron Beasley who served in the Royal Navy and died on the HMS Exeter in 27 February 1942, and John Beasley who is 7 years my elder and served as an MP in Egypt in the late 1940's. I also had 1 older sister, Joan (now deceased) and a younger sister, Janet. Janet still lives near the neighborhood. A few of my mates were Terry Woodley, Alan Payne, Derek Taylor, Leslie Young, Morris Parker, Eric Clapton, and Sidney Spittle. Another mate, Stanley, immigrated to Canada when I immigrated to America. Would love to hear from anyone about the old days.

David Beasley

Hi Geff

not certain if this is quite what you were looking for but my dad Phil Carr went to Alston Road and left I think in 1940 (he was born in 1927). He lived at 174 Eastfield Road which was opposite Foxwell. His older brother was Frank and his sister Mary. Mary died after the war but both Frank and dad were in the RAF. Dad was in the home guard for a bit too.

Dad knew a Vic Payne and someone called Beasley who he thinks was a bookies runner, also a Norman.

Dads not really into the internet but if you want to ask him anything you can always telephone on 01803 391310.

Dave

Hallo David Beasley, We were neighbours years ago, my family lived at No. 38 Foxwell Road. I can remember your parents and Ron Joan and John, the rest of you no, not a trace. We left to live in Caldwell Road, a larger house in 1938 when I was 12. do you want to chat? I did know a lot of the folks who we would both have known. Looking forward to your reply. GEFF

Carolina the Derek Taylor I knew lived a few houses down from mine on Foxwell Road. He was tall with blonde hair and loved to ride bikes like I did. We would ride our bikes to Warwick Castle, Stratford On Avon, Kenilworth, and many other places. We would go as a group of maybe 6 or 8 of us. Lots of good times.

David

Geff, I am delighted that you remember my family. You would have been in age between Joan and John. I am still learning to navigate here but will try to message you.

Hallo David Beasley, We were neighbours years ago, my family lived at No. 38 Foxwell Road. I can remember your parents and Ron Joan and John, the rest of you no, not a trace. We left to live in Caldwell Road, a larger house in 1938 when I was 12. do you want to chat? I did know a lot of the folks who we would both have known. Looking forward to your reply. GEFF

Great that you have connected via BHF Geff and Beasley, you could chat on our private message facility, we try to keep on the topic of the thread title as far as possible.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WENT TO ALSTON ROAD SENIOR BOYS SCHOOL , BORDESLEY GREEN EAST, I LEFT IN 1940 AFTER BEING ON HALF DAYS THROUGH THE APPROACH OF WAR MESSING US ABOUT. IN PARTICULAR I AM LOOKING FOR BILLY WEBB, LEWIS FOX, HARRY WOOD, JACKY DAYTON.
GEFF

Hi Geff
I went to the infant and junior school during the 50s, prior to Saltley Grammar School, but my Uncle Dick went to senior boys' school before the war, his name was Richard (Dick) Dunford. He also attended St.Paul's church where he met (and married during the war) my Aunty Ev (Evelyn - nee Webb) from Caldwell Road. Sadly both he and my aunt died several years ago, but I am still in touch with their son, my cousin Pete who now lives in Whitebrook just outside Monmouth.

Carolina the Derek Taylor I knew lived a few houses down from mine on Foxwell Road. He was tall with blonde hair and loved to ride bikes like I did. We would ride our bikes to Warwick Castle, Stratford On Avon, Kenilworth, and many other places. We would go as a group of maybe 6 or 8 of us. Lots of good times.

David

David, different Derek. Carol

Hi Geff
I went to the infant and junior school during the 50s, prior to Saltley Grammar School, but my Uncle Dick went to senior boys' school before the war, his name was Richard (Dick) Dunford. He also attended St.Paul's church where he met (and married during the war) my Aunty Ev (Evelyn - nee Webb) from Caldwell Road. Sadly both he and my aunt died several years ago, but I am still in touch with their son, my cousin Pete who now lives in Whitebrook just outside Monmouth.

Hi, I went to Alston Rd Jnr and Infants School from 1952 to 1959 and then went to Waverley grammar School. I lived in Alston Road and had many friends who went to Saltley. my parents were married at St Pauls by the Reverend Pound.
Robert Hill

Alston Road School
Have read all through the replies about the above. I went there from 1931 to August 1940 and left just in time for the Blitz. Does anyone remember "Troachy"? he was an old boy probably ex-service from WW1. He had a wicker basket trolley on wheels and was always at the corner of Repton Road and Alston Road every lunch time. He sold troach and peppermint rock in small bags and one bag would contain a piece of paper with a mark on it. The lucky puchaser would receive a large stick of rock in the shape of a walking stick. The teacher I remember most was Eric Page who accompanied a group of us to Evesham as evacuees. He later served in the RAF and eventually returned to teaching, becoming Head at Castle Bromwich School. Anything there ring a bell? Reg Neal.
Hello Reg,

I came across your post from 2007 and I'm hoping that you're still a part of this great site. I recently posted here last week in the hope of tracing some old friends of my dad's, (Alec Rose) it's a long shot I know - especially at 93. He lived in Denville crescent from 1927 and went to Alston road school from around 1931 to 1940 before heading into the Navy at Portsmouth.

His friends, were Ken Gater who also joined him in the Navy, John Gillman and Dennis Jolly. I understand from Master Brummie they have all now passed, sadly.

I contacted Alston road school on Friday to se if thy had any of his old school reports. They have old ledgers that are archived and so they're going to take a look and let me know. The school were extremely helpful and have asked dad to go into the school this week and have a chat with the Head and a little walk around, which we are very much looking forward to. Does anyone have any photos of Denville crescent from the mid 1920/30's?

Thanks for any help...

Gary

I was reminded of Alston Rd School earlier today when listening to an interview with the newly appointed conductor of the CBSO. One of my most vivid memories of my time at the junior school was a concert for us by 4 members of the brass section of the orchestra. We were all fascinated and amused by the trombonist clearing his instrument onto the hall floor. Music played quite a big role in the school day then. I went there in 1953. We played triangles, cymbals, tambourines, castanets etc following coloured notes on the board with teacher on the piano. A couple of us had the job of dusting round the piano in the hall. Our reward was to go to the headmistress to be given a small bag of boiled sweets shaped like fish.

Hi everyone. I am a teacher at Alston Primary School (Alston road). As part of our Birmingham celebration day that we have coming up, I thought it would be lovely to look at Alston Primary school from the past. I know the building was used as a boys school but other than that finding information on the site is hard. Does anyone have any information at all ? I was wondering whether you may have pictures or stories that I could share with the children. It would also we wonderful if anyone fancied doing an interview or a having a chat about the school in the past.
Hopefully awaiting your responses.
Mrs Mayo

Welcome Mrs Mayo

If you’ve not already found this, the British History Online description is below in italics. If you use their reference, please remember to quote the source. Here’s the link https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548#p23

“ALSTON ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Bordesley Green. Alston Rd. Council Sch. I dept. opened 1926 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 400. Blocks opened 1927 for 800 B, G. Altered and reorganized 1931–2 for SB (in former B block), JM (in G block), and I. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945 Accom. 1961: 17 classrooms, 2 halls.

ALSTON ROAD BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Bordesley Green. Became a separate sch. 1945 N.o.b. 1961: 410”

Viv.

Back