• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred Davis where buried/gravetone

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Have been trying to find where my Gt Grandfather was buried? He died on 11/10/1907. His address was 33 Victoria Grove, Bham, which I take as being near Winson Green now. He was 72 born 1835 in Evesham, Worcs. His wife was Elizabeth Davis. He was a Master Barber, married before to Emma Davis his first wife who was deceased. I think he had a shop and house in Newtown Row, showing up in Rates paid/collected. I have tried Ancestry and also My Gen who said to try here for local knowledge. I would assume he would have been buried in 1907. Tried nearly all well known Cemeteries in Birmingham. If you need anymore info please let me know. As you would say I have come to a dead end. This will finish my search off, well for now. Found my GT GT Grandfathers gravestone down in Evesham. Alfreds is proving harder to find. I would be very grateful if anyone has done any research or how to find him. Many thanks, Mr Bluesky!

Hi mr bluesky
why do you think it was close to winson green area does your information states winson green or not
could it not be springhill passage or close to it what was the actual post code for it ; did it have a area number to it
like aston was birmingham 6 in those days or the city was number 1;
It is amazeing how many people born in those days in eversham all moved to brum to live Astonian;;;;;

hello mrbluesky may i ask where you got the address of victoria grove from?? was there no area with it...i only ask as if alfred had a shop along newtow row then victoria road aston is very close so i wondered if grove should be road..do you have his death cert..i am sure you have this already but for the 1901 census i have at

107 kywicks lane... bordesley...aston

alfred aged 66 hairdresser

wife elizabeth age 24

son harold age 8 months

if as you think he died in the ladywood area then warstone lane or key hill cemetaries would be be the obvious places to look

lyn

Last edited:
Hi mr bluesky
why do you think it was close to winson green area does your information states winson green or not
could it not be springhill passage or close to it what was the actual post code for it ; did it have a area number to it
like aston was birmingham 6 in those days or the city was number 1;
It is amazeing how many people born in those days in eversham all moved to brum to live Astonian;;;;;

Hi, thank you for your kind reply. I was just looking at the present map of Brum. Alfreds death cert says sub district, St Martin, Birmingam. The address where he died was 33 Victoria Grove. Looking at the cert more closer underneath Victoria Grove, I think it reads U D but not that clear. Also found on My Gen, volume 6d page 0113 4th quarter. I remember Springhill/ladywood, and I dont think Victoria Grove was near. The current post code is B18 4DT, near Chiswell Road. Thank you for taking time, I have come along way, but stuck atm. Yes Aston has come up alot in my research.

Hi Lyn many thanks for your kind help. I have his death cert and it does say Victoria Grove which is now B18, near Chiswell Road. You have the same census details as me at aged 66. Elizabeth was his second wife born in Clebory North, Shrops. Alfred did lie a fair bit on his age lol. He was 45 on his marriage cert, but in fact 64. No wonder he didnt last too long. Harold was my Grandad died aged 29, my dad was 5. He died on new yrs eve, knocked down by a wagon. Amazing what the past throws up. I just cannot find Alfreds place of rest. Have tried those cemeteries, well someone did that for me. So might be worth me confirming. Alfreds son Alfred George was also a Master Barber. The word Hairdresser is banned in the house. My daughter keeps winding me up saying we had hairdressers in the family. If you have any other ideas Lyn, I would be very grateful. Best Wishes, Keith.

I think if he died in Winson Green and it was registered locally his death would have been listed in either Kings Norton or West Bromwich.

There is a burial listed on findmypast for an Alfred Davis at Witton in 1907, there are two deaths registered in Bham (one aged 0, the other 72), so possibly one of them, though not sure what other info is listed on the record.

I think if he died in Winson Green and it was registered locally his death would have been listed in either Kings Norton or West Bromwich.

There is a burial listed on findmypast for an Alfred Davis at Witton in 1907, there are two deaths registered in Bham (one aged 0, the other 72), so possibly one of them, though not sure what other info is listed on the record.

Hi thank you for the info. I have checked the one at Witton and yes that was Alfred Davis aged 0, which is tragic. So the other one registered in Birmingham aged 72 must be Alfred I hope. Can you point me in the right direction to find where he is. I have noticed around that time, Kings Norton was used alot. How do I or who do I need to contact? Cannot thank you enough for the info, think with everyones help I will find him. Kindest regards, keith.

That's a shame.

Unfortunately the best I can offer is to eliminate all the churches/cemeteries available online and then try to the library.

Have you tried Yardley (maybe a little out of the way), there aren't many online records for there?

keith is there any chance you could scan and post the death cert please...i am not totally convinced of where alfred died as you said it says sub district of st martin...i thought st martins was in and around the city centre not the ladywood area...also have you tried warstone lane and key hill cems..

lyn

I have had a look in my old Wakelin's street guide and it says there was a Victoria Grove off 16 Benacre St. This would make it correct for St. Martin's district I think?
rosie.

I have had a look in my old Wakelin's street guide and it says there was a Victoria Grove off 16 Benacre St. This would make it correct for St. Martin's district I think?
rosie.

thanks rosie..this is what i was saying...i am confused as benacre st and victoria grove is more city centre and nowhere near ladywood as keith seemed to think it was

lyn

Hi bluesky
just going through our dear old friends whom are trying to help you on this one
and i am seeing some are saying birmingham 18; and they say benacre street and around there ;
and yoy also said you think you heard or recall the ladywood spring hill mentionioned well that was just 18, no other code with it
just birmingham 18; well i am thiking and i am saying i lived in ladywood in The bottom end of kingedwards road
and that was on a hill ;and walk down king edwards road to the botttom of the hill you have stour street on your emediate left and slightly to the
right it goes into a passage ,that is spring hill passage which when you walk down it it bends to the right and eventualy you come on to spring hill
end from there along there on your right up until you reach the springhill libary all that is spring hill
and like wise if you turnened left and gone that way you are going up springhill which also goes up hill and when you are at the top
there is a cannal bridge which runs under the road that on your right at the bridge is another passage called clissold passage
now let me take you back down the hill to springhill passage which will be on your right there was a little garage many years ago from the year dot
as you turn right there you are walking back up the passge following the bend of the passage incidently prices the world cutly makers are there in that
way they was silver smiths cutery ware world known even today but just passing them is the steward street school front entrance and the care takers house mr lumb was there name and there was class rooms windows all along that side of the passage
and facing the school on the otherside of the road on that passage was little houses which incidently started from the commencement of springhill passage
from one end to another
so what i am about to say is coming down king edwards road ladywood to spring hill pasage at the very corner of commencement
was a little house converted front room as a little provisions and sweet shop combined at that shop was owned by the mitchell family
and i beleive she was a member on this site yearsw ago and i beleive there was a picture of this shop years ago on here
or uit was on the ladywood site going back years but get back on track thats the start of springhill passage by the way the brick work of the shop stuck out abit and emeiate drop back was where the house started and it was either the second or third house as you walked past was the davies family
and a few yards passing that that was a grove there with a number of houses up there with the old gas mantles in those days was still there when i was growing up as i said i lived at the top of the street and my friends lived down in the pasage likeadams ; and frisby family and knights and catlins family
but i can recall a couple by the name of clarkes and duffy family lived up this grove and that had abit of royalty name to it
and i honestly beleive thats the grove you are loooking for
the name was written in lime stone brick above the external wall of houses and it was well worn but very readably
and the opening of the grove was the only one in springhill pasage just p[assage old mrs mitchells little shop
it was only noticable when you walked up the wide opening the stone which stated what is was
and i cannot say wheter or not when ladywood got the b 18 code it could have been donkeys years before i got there i do have some books on the begining of ladywood and the years it became ladywood but this other part they mentioniond had another number to the post code
i know that many years ago i think it was in the fiftys that brum devided up boundryies and change code and may be thats where they get it from
but right up until that time it was 18
i haVE TRYED TO GIVE YOU A PICTURE OR OUR EXPERTS WHOM ACCESS TO LIBARY REORDS AND FILES WHICH THEY HAVE
And they have old maps i do not have them but i have covered the circuit with various places where records are kept
whilst on the subject on registerd office for record ; i may tell you west bromwich would have been closer than kings norton
but some years back west brom reg office lost alot of files through a big fire they had way back in the seventy eighty period
i went there myself all those years ago and they gave me another place which to write and request my family records
best of luck Astonian;;;;;; Alan;;;;;;;

In the 1911 census there is a Victoria Grove, Ashley Street which has as its sub district St Martins.

Janice

morning janice this is what has been worrying me about this address as there must have been many victoria groves in birmingham..

lyn

Only 2 came up on the 1911 census when I did an address search but I haven't worked out where the other one was (I will have another go in a moment). The Ashley Street one is the one near Benacre Street but must be small as it isn't on the Godfrey 1914 map I have.

On the electoral roll there seems to be one listed as Aston and one as Deritend.

Janice

Hi Janice and many thanks for your help. I contacted Kings Norton Council Cem. The lady was really helpful, and said to send her an email. She would put a search out for all Birmingham Burials not private. I was told that in 1907 it would be unlikely Alfred would have been cremated. Yet he may have been one of the early ones. Thank you again for your help and time. Regards, Keith.

Hi Lyn, thanks for your help and patience. I cannot thank every1 enough on this great site, so thanks to every1. Sorry for the delay, not great on technology, was waiting for help. They didnt know how to convert PDF to Jpg lol. So was told to take a photo and post. Done it 2 halves, so it should be ok?

thats fine keith well done..i am not technical either so dont worry...i think it must be the victoria grove that was off benacre st i take it the word garbett written on the death cert is the maiden name of alfreds wife elizabeth...now all we need to do is find out where your gt grandad is

in the meantime would anyone have the burial records for st martins please...it maybe worth checking out..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn, Garbett seems to be maiden name as I found a marriage of Elizabeth Garbett to Alfred Davis, also two "Garbetts" living with them on 1901 census listed as in-laws. I tried St M on Ancestry but no joy, although the churchyard did not close until 1915 there were only 3 burials listed in the 1900s. I did wonder if he was either buried with his first wife (wherever) or back where he was born which was Evesham and their records are not Ancestry.

Janice

I checked the burial records 1554-1915 for St Martin's yesterday and can't find him, but CD says there are minor gaps.

Hi Lynn, Garbett seems to be maiden name as I found a marriage of Elizabeth Garbett to Alfred Davis, also two "Garbetts" living with them on 1901 census listed as in-laws. I tried St M on Ancestry but no joy, although the churchyard did not close until 1915 there were only 3 burials listed in the 1900s. I did wonder if he was either buried with his first wife (wherever) or back where he was born which was Evesham and their records are not Ancestry.

Janice

hi janice i thought garbett was the maiden name of elizabeth..just checking as there is a garbett st lol..

like bewdley i have also checked st martins buriasl online and no luck there...also checked the burials for st pauls hockley and st georges newtown with no luck so i think we can knock them off the list...crossed my mind that he may have been buried in evesham but its early days yet...i still think its worth checking out warstone lane and key hill cems if only to iliminate them..i will post a look up request on the appropriate thread...as i think one or two of our members has the burial lists for them

lyn

Last edited:
Hi lyn, this is the link for the Jewellery Quarter Research Group.

www.jqrt.org

They have the burial index (not the register itself) and existing memorial inscriptions for Warstone Cemetery and Key Hill.
rosie.

thanks rosie...i have posted a look up request on the key hill thread so fingers crossed...

lyn x

here is a map showing where victoria grove was...thanks to phil for this one..a small street sandwiched between ashley st and benacre st...could do with a larger map of this area as there seems to be an awful lot of crosses indicating either churches or chapels...just wondering if alfred may have been buried close to home..

lyn

Attachments

• victoria grove map.JPG
    victoria grove map.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
i have now checked the records for key hill and warstone lane cems and alfred is not at either of those

lyn

Back