• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Hall Aston

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
i posted on the" Witton Square Thread" Regarding this building what i am trying to find out is what the building was originally built for. I know it was used in the 20s for a dance hall but not sure if it was built for this purpose.1899 was the date of its construction. Dek
(Replacement)

Attachments

• Aston Albert Hall Witton Rd.JPG
    Aston Albert Hall Witton Rd.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dek.....What I meant to write was....I have emailed Aston Library to ask them about the original purpose for Albert Hall. See if they can provide anymore info.

This was on the Kajan website (although this history is more about Kajan than Albert Hall).

https://www.kajans.co.uk/history.htm (Not now accessible)

Kajans was set up in March 1990 by a small group of entrepreneurs who recognised the potential for an independent organisation that could be flexible in serving the local community.
Since the organisation was established the priorities for Kajans have remained stable, with an ethos, focused on providing access to education and creative opportunities for everyone. For a sample of the art events that Kajans run, commission and promote please see the links on the left and for the latest programmes see latest news.
Kajans is funded by Arts Council England, Birmingham City Council, Connexions, Equality and Human Right Commission, Heritage Lottery Fund and a range of other funding agencies on a project by project basis. Kajans is also a founder member of the CISC organisation which opperates within the cultural industries in North Birmingham. Kajans is based at Albert Hall, Aston which was constructed in 1899.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently involved in the refurbishment of the building sadly the inside will be completely renovated to modern standards for Kajans uses. Dek

I have received a second e-mail from Aston Library about the building of Albert Hall.: "Hello again, Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. You are right that a group called Kajans now occupies Albert Hall. They have a website at www.kajans.co.uk, but it didn't seem to be working when I tried it earlier today. The building was erected in 1899, and I believe it was originally built to serve as a Magistrates Court for Aston, (Aston didn't become part of Birmingham until 1911), although I cannot find any documentary evidence for this. I'll now pass your enquiry on to Archives and Heritage, who I know will get back to you with any information that they can find. Regards Inge Thornton" Hopefully more info to come. The Aston Magistrates Court, if Albert Hall was built for that purpose, sounds interesting. Just have to wait and see what the Main Library in Brum come up with. The National Archives site lists Aston as having a what they call a Branch Court before incorporation into Brum in 1911. The records of cases etc.are sealed for 100 years from this source.

According to the 1897- 1904 Kellys. the petty sessions were held at the Petty sessional court , aston(not much help). The clerk to the magistrates was at the "Police court , Aston." from 1900, but before (1897, 1899) was Joseph Rowlands , 41 Temple row. this is a solicitors office. So it looks like they found a proper separate office for the clerk between the 1899 and 1900 editions, which fits with the date of construction of the Hall. could be coincidence though
mike

Hi Alf: Thanks for that.. I passed by Albert Hall a few times this time last year and the Kajans had their sign up then. I made a note of it and filed it in my computer. I looked up the Kajans on line last year but these are the occupiers now and won't be of much help in determining the history of the building. I mentioned the group in my first e-mail to the Aston Library and Inge is just confirming their presence in Albert Hall at the moment. Hopefully, we will be able to nail down what the Hall was originally built for. Thanks for that description Mikejee. It could be that at some point Albert Hall was a magistrates court for the Aston District. Hopefully the Birmingham Library Heritage Division might come up with some more info.

Inge Thorton, Library Assistant at Aston Library passed on my e-mail regarding the purpose that the Albert Hall was built for, to the Birmingham Archives and Heritage Department. I have now received an e-mail back from Kevin Roberts in that Department as follows:
Dear Jennifer Nicol,
Inge Thorton was kind enough to pass your inquiry pertaining to Albert Hall on to us at Birmingham Archives and Heritage. I have just had a trawl through our indexes to try to turn something up about the uses of the hall. Unfortunately, my search has netted very little...nothing at least that sheds any light on its original purpose. The two items that I did locate relate to Albert Hall as the site of an annual 'Grand Bazaar' in support of Sacred Heart Schools in 1910 and 1913. We have a pair of documents in our Local Studies collection under L48.116 that could tell you more about this particular use of the hall. Otherwise I'm afraid I have found no promising leads that might assist you in your research. Feeling rather frustrated I had a look on the web to see if anything beyond our holdings might shed some light on the matter but drew an effective blank beyond the current use of the hall. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to you.
Yours sincerely,
Kevin Roberts
Cataloguing Assistant
Birmingham Archives and Heritage

thanks for the write up on the alberthall on the top of wittion road, my mom and dad meet there at a dance, they often sheared happy memeories of this place. they were happly married for 50 years.

Coming to the Albert Hall from another thread, I tried to find out any info in the newspaper archives. From the exterior of the building it is stated that it came into being in 1899, and unfortunately the local papers don't cover anything for that year.

However in January 1900 it was described as "the new" and regularly used for Conservative Party meetings. If it was used for Petty Sesions it would be remarkable not to get a mention.

In April 1894 the Aston Conservative Assc held there meeting in the Victoria Hall.

Anyone know where that would be?

I pedro
The building was built on the opersite side of the road to the libary and the sacred heart
I would say it was about 500 yards either way from the two building
It was in a black stone brick work and it stood slightly back from the other building on the witton road
There was a smalll step down into the walk of the premises
I say about 500 yards but it all depended which way you was walki g down from the old six ways of aston
Coming from victoria road , i am still trying to find my daughters photo of
Holy comunion at the sacred heart churh in her dress
We lived on victoria road just short of the witton road junction,
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,

IMG_1074.jpg 1902IMG_1073.jpg
I pedro
The building was built on the opersite side of the road to the libary and the sacred heart
I would say it was about 500 yards either way from the two building
It was in a black stone brick work and it stood slightly back from the other building on the witton road
There was a smalll step down into the walk of the premises
I say about 500 yards but it all depended which way you was walki g down from the old six ways of aston
Coming from victoria road , i am still trying to find my daughters photo of
Holy comunion at the sacred heart churh in her dress
We lived on victoria road just short of the witton road junction,
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,

Thanks Astonian, looking in the area on the 1887 OS Map...it shows Victoria Hall!

Interesting is that Albert Hall was built in 1899 and therefore not shown on this map, and Victoria Hall could be accessed via Witton Road. The 1902 shows a joining together of Victoria and Albert?

In 1945 Sir F Smith, the Chairman of Ansell's Brewery died, and it was written..."he took an active interest in the foundation of three halls in Aston, the Albert Hall, Victoria Hall and Lear Hall."

So where was Lear Hall?

Last week I drove along Victoria Road towards Six Ways and noticed that the building which I assume to have been Victoria Hall is still standing, though swathed in scaffolding and seemingly undergoing restoration. It must have been quite impressive in its day. The rear of the Albert Hall on Witton Road is visible to the left of Victoria Hall, between it and the former church.

G

Back