• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know you could get liquid detergent before the late 50s/60s. Always remember washing up using soap powder! Viv.

The last ad suggests to me an attempt to sell more bars of soap. "Super milled" imples a softer texture for the face and the "regular" bars for the whole body. Nothing new there.

Having said that I don't remember there being different types of Lifebouy soap. Viv.

Many will remember the reddish/pink Lifebouy carbolic soap which no self respecting mother/nanny/guardian would ever send their children to school without having been washed (or scrubbed in some cases) with that distinctive soap. I am sure there was a light coloured version, perfumed, especially with ladies in mind.

You will note that all the carbolic acid (phenol) sops are red or pink. This is not, or at least was not originally, a choice of the company, but because old and crude samples of phenol do turn a pink colour caused by exposure to light, and so was a natural result of using the grade of phenol available commercially at a good price

32.jpg

The prices look as though they are very low but of course, workers were very poorly paid .

Just pre war new houses were on sale at under £200.

I'm told that the house I was born in, built in 1929, cost the council £125 to build, designed in cooperation with Cadburys.

They were nicknamed Nig-Nog houses, taken from an advert campaign that Cadburys were running at the time.

1_185681IMG_841Atco..jpg
I remember an Atco Lawn Mower works on the corner of School Road and Stratford Road Hall Green

I believe you are correct Stitcher: I have read it on this Forum before I am sure. ATCO's works were in Garrison Lane. I had a relative that worked for them, not in a manual capacity. There was also a fellow living in the Torbay area who I am sure was a service agent with them. He had a small ATCO truck but as ATCO sold thousands of their differing products I guess they were to be seen over much of the country.

I seem to remember the ATCO works were in Tilton Road off Garrison Lane, I paid many a visit there with my dad to get spares for is lawnmower.

I seem to remember the ATCO works were in Tilton Road off Garrison Lane, I paid many a visit there with my dad to get spares for is lawnmower.

The building that was adorned with the Atco mowers logo all through the 50s, 60s and possibly the 70s has been demolished. A new building housing a Kwik Fit establishment has taken its place.

Not sure of date of this one, there are many adverts for the cleanser but this may be one of the rarer ones.

8B542F80-B580-4DD3-9F1F-3B8DEAD79B08.jpeg

Wikipedia...

Joseph Watson, 1st Baron Manton (10 February 1873 – 13 March 1922) was an English industrialist from Leeds, Yorkshire.

He was chairman of Joseph Watson & Sons Ltd, soap manufacturers, of Leeds and a director of the London and North-Western Railway, in the late 19th century the largest joint stock company in the world. He became in later life a pioneer of industrialised agriculture in England and a successful racehorse owner. He was step-great-grandfather to David Cameron, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

I see that even the Wincarnis is watered down now, Viv, used to be 17% now down to 14% - I wondered what Noele Gordon was on with three glasses of that stuff a day! :)

Maurice

At one time, I seem to remember Wincarnis had a reputation as the drink of those who like a tipple but did not want to admit they drank - Wincarnis was medicinal !.At first, apparently, it contained beef extract (UGH), but not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back