• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
1ss.jpeg
The Acme works were situated in Salford Street Aston but I do not have a date for it's closure.

Our mom's council house had an Acme cooker from when they moved in in 1933 until it was condemned by a health & safety inspector (carbon mon oxide) in 1988, the council told her she would have to pay for a new one or go without until my brother kicked up a fuss.

Post 520 showed screen star Virginia Mayo advertising Lux Toilet Soap. In the 1951 advert below there is a less obvious choice of a school-boy stamp collector in the advert for Cussons famous toilet soap Imperial Leather. He is saying "Imperial--what?" so perhaps there is a play on the word "Imperial" in the context of postage stamps of the Empire in 1951 and the use of "Imperial" for a soap. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020942 (2).JPG
    P1020942 (2).JPG
    605 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Post 520 showed screen star Virginia Mayo advertising Lux Toilet Shop. In the 1951 advert below there is a less obvious choice of a school-boy stamp collector in the advert for Cussons famous toilet soap Imperial Leather. He is saying "Imperial--what?" so perhaps there is a play on the word "Imperial" in the context of postage stamps of the Empire in 1951 and the use of "Imperial" for a soap. Dave.

According to Wikipedia...."In the late 1940s to late 1950s Cussons embarked upon a prolific printed advert campaign with a new theme for the advertising of Imperial Leather released frequently. They have become collectable as vintage adverts."

WOLSELEY-CAR-Wolseley-Motors-Ltd-Birmingham-UK.jpg
Wolseley Motors formed in 1901 took over a premises in Ward End from Vickers munitions in 1914.

You used to be able to get these little packets of chewing gum from the slot machines outside newsagents. "Soothes your nerves " Really?

Used to buy a lot of chewing gum when I was around 13/14. Went with my unladylike habit of whistling at the time. Viv.

image.jpeg

m do  m.png
Not an advert as such but I remember my Mom was always turning the collars and cuffs on our shirts.

Sticher - the Kellogs ad looks suspiciously like All Bran to me. What d'you think?'

And how I hated 'sides to middle' sheets with the seam down the middle and nothing to tuck in at the sides. Always rucked up and felt uncomfortable.

Lady P
when I was a child we never had cereal for breakfast, Dad always kept chickens so we had boiled eggs more often than not with toast spread with a small amount treacle a change.

The Kellogg's Crumbles are American. Doubt that they were available here during WW2. Although maybe it was brought over to US bases. If it was like All-Bran, they're welcome to it ! Viv.

Palmolive advert in #536 states at the bottom, "Dr. Dafoe says, Only gentle Palmolive for the Quins!". Dr. Allan Dafoe was a Canadian obstetrician best known for delivering and caring for the world-famous Dionne quintuplets, born May 28 1934. Dave.

Well the Palmolive ad really cheered me up - too late - too late! My son brings me Olive Oil soap whenever he goes abroad (if it's on sale). They don't tend to use laurel sulphate and all the other nasties over there.

1907-excelsior-cycles.jpg
When I saw this advert I was surprised because I thought Excelsior only ever made motor cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back