• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C10CE64B-2281-4BE7-9F2D-ACDF4260C9E8.jpeg 41DF7457-D8C4-4A4C-8EA0-B8CD172D9EA4.jpeg

Two more ads for Wincarnis, 1889 and 1950 with meat extract.

There seems at one time to have been a red and gold label to differentiate Spanish and English wines used.

Was glass blown here or just brought in and cut and etched here and how unusual to have a female running and named in a business that would more commonly be male dominated. I say this at the risk of raising feminist ire, but I am talking ?early to middle 19th century?
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
June 1838 advert says Sarah Bedford has constantly on sale at their showrooms in New Street, every description of Cut and Plain Glass, China....of newest shapes and patterns, selected from the first manufacturers in the kingdom.

Is it me, or do the babies in those adverts have old and slightly disturbing faces ? And they're definitely not cute babies. So who did this appeal to ? Viv.

In 1963 this Pearks Grocery shop in Small Heath advertises 'Amazing Food Offers - Supermarket Prices' but the supermarkets eventually put them out of business. I remember we had one where we lived.
SmallHeathPearks1963.jpg

There were Pearks shops in many towns, large and small. I recall one of their slogans, in the 1950's anyway, was that they never sold a bad egg. Those were the days when you bought the exact quantity or weight you needed. Behind the serving counter - no self service of course - was a wooden box in which was an electric lamp. The eggs being purchased, up to twelve at a time could be checked, were placed on top of the box which had holes which the egg sat in. By this method a dud was easily spotted. The dud had a different appearance to the good ones.

Maypole also had many shops, at one time would have been a Pearks competitor. Other formerly well known named grocery stores are International Stores and Liptons. Those were national but of course regional names such as Wrensons (good thread about them on this Forum) also served people well. Whilst supermarkets changed the landscape of food shopping it may have benefited the personal budget (that is subject to question as I firmly believe people buy more than necessary) unless you know some of the staff there does not exist the friendliness that your local shop had. After all you mainly used one in preference to the others (except where bargains were concerned ;)) where you were known and your custom appreciated and hopefully retained.
The last sentence did not apply if you were a pain in the proverbial of course, when it was hoped you might shop elsewhere and upset everyone there. :D

Looking at the photo (#652) I notice they stock several teas (loose of course, no tea bags at this time). One is Brooke Bond Divi tea. I remember this well, green paper wrapper with bright orange writing on it. But why 'Divi' ? I think the packets had stamps on them (although not 100% sure on this) so were the stamps collected for a dividend ? Viv.

Looking at the photo (#652) I notice they stock several teas (loose of course, no tea bags at this time). One is Brooke Bond Divi tea. I remember this well, green paper wrapper with bright orange writing on it. But why 'Divi' ? I think the packets had stamps on them (although not 100% sure on this) so were the stamps collected for a dividend ? Viv.
Yes Viv, divi stamps that you stuck on a card for rewards, a bit like green shield stamps

wilmot  breedon.jpg

Attachments

• advertwilmotbreedon.jpg
    advertwilmotbreedon.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 7
  • advertwilmotbreedon.jpg
    advertwilmotbreedon.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 6
13.jpg
I remember the Watsonian works from hen I was a child.17.jpg
This advert was my first knowledge of the company.

The address for the sidecars is Albion road, Greet. I must admit i`ve never heard of a place named Greet in Birmingham.Greet.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back