• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adobe reader

carolina

master brummie
I need to download adobe reader as instructed by an airline to download and print off my tickets, but as I try to do this a noise is created and a warning sign is coming up saying. Proactive Defense Altert. ... trying to register its copy as an autorun start up object. This behaviour is typical of trojans. Is it safe to continue? Mank thanks for anyone who can help.

Looks as though you run Kaspersky on your system, carolina. If you don't get any authoritative response to your query I should google "Proactive Defense Alert" and see what people are saying about it. On the face of it it appears that your protection system is being over-protective!

Chris

Chris, my thoughts was that Caroline was using the Comodo security suite.

Whichever it is my other thought is WHERE is she trying to download the Adobe Reader from? My suggestion to her would be to download from the Adobe web site and NOT anywhere else as some download sites can cause alarm to security systems as they are often invasive having other gimmicks,features etc to trap the unwary.

https://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Radiorails I have done what you said and downloaded from the actual adobe site. David, unfortunately, not got broadband, I work of a dongle. Many thanks to all. Carol.

Saying "... trying to register its copy as an autorun startup object" means that the program is trying to put an entry in your Start Up folder so that when you initially start each session of Windows, then the Adobe Reader is loaded into memory ready to be instantly called up when needed. Your security software must be set to warn you about this and there should be provision to reject the start up entry but still continue installing the program proper.

It is not necessary to have it in your start up folder. If you have Adobe Reader on your computer, when a program needs A R to start, it will just fetch it from the program files and run it then.

The problem that most people have with slow start up of Windows is that they have several programs that have nested themselves in the Start Up folder so that they AutoRun and the act of starting them up delays the start of Windows.

If you download CCleaner (Google will find it) and click on Tools and then StartUp it will show you which programs you have in the startup folder and allows you to disable them from starting automatically. Most people only need their Security software and their Network software to be in that folder. You can disable them with CCleaner and, if anything is then wrong, you can re-enable them one-by-one until the problem is cured.

It will make a big difference to your delays on start up if you find you have about a dozen active files in that folder.

I keep getting new Adobe to install, do they automatically take the old one off?? or have I got loads of them on???

Use Foxit reader instead of Adobe Reader - it is Freeware and not bloated.

Again many thanks for those who have given me information. After watching Fake Gt Britain this morning, it does show you how corruption can happen on your PC by an alert coming up that there is a problem and you should install whatever they are advising, which then promptly downloads another problem, which then they ask you to pay for to download to clear it. After taking Radiorails advice by downloading from the actual site, it is something that will always be with me now and to go down that route. The technology shown this morning by Microsoft is unbelievable as to how they can track the areas as to where illegal programmes are being copied/sold to prospective buyers when they purchase PCs and need an office system download. The programme is well worth a look. Forum members once again have come up trumps. Regards Carol.

I keep getting new Adobe to install, do they automatically take the old one off?? or have I got loads of them on???

Had not heard of Foxit before Bernie mentioned it so that is worth looking at. As I mentioned in a previous post even Adobe updates are massive downloads. If it is an update it should just amend your existing program. If it is a new version it will load it complete and then as the final act in the installation it will delete the old program. You can check this by clicking on Control Panel in your Start Menu then click on Uninstall a Program and it will list all your programs in alphbetical order. There should only be one entry for Adobe Reader. We are currently on version X (10.0.1). Exit the Contol Panel without performing any actions.

The technical answer to your question is yes the old program is still there because you have a facilitiy to restore your system to a previous position in an emergency but I have not gone into that.

I realise that your question has been answered but I would like to endorse the comments about Foxit Reader. It is free, much quicker and lighter than Abobe, and most importantly you can type onto it, so its useful if you have a pdf form to fill in. If you do have adobe reader, I'd advise disabling updates in the preferences section!

There are a couple of reliable sites for downloading software if the Software Manufacturers site is too slow. These are www.download.com and www.filehippo.com . I have used both these frequently with no problems. Even so, it is advisable to always download the installation file to your computer and do a virus check on it before opening it, rather than running the installation directly from the site.

Another benefit with Foxit is it is less likely to attract hackers etc.

Following comments on this thread I have downloaded Foxit to try out. Big advantage to me is that I can use it to fill in forms which have been formatted as pdf files which did not alwys work in Adobe. So thank you for bringing this to my attentiopn.

Back