• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adderley park

Howky

proper brummie kid
Hi I am new to the forum i lived in Arden road saltley from 1961 to 1986 has any body got any memories from around that time

Hi Howky and welcome to the forum, we lived in Exton Way up the Washwood Heath Road from 1957-1962, my most memorable incident was collecting money for Guy Fawkes night, some bright spark (probably my brother) decided it would be easier to have me dress as a guy than to make one. So there we were at Saltley Gate collecting pennies when some thugs decided they didn't like our guy very much and I received a thump in the stomach (I'm sure they didn't realise the guy was human), luckily no lasting damage. John

We lived at the top of Adderley road next to the school our house backed onto park lived there from 1973 till 1985

We lived at the top of Adderley road next to the school our house backed onto park lived there from 1973 till 1985
I know the houses we lived by the school in Arden road our house also backed onto the park do you remember anyone who you used to hang out with

I moved in to 328 Adderley road as a new bride and had my 2 children there I worked as a dinner lady at Adderley j&I school for about 5 years before moving to Bordesley Green

Presume with a name like rosary boy you went to the rosary school did you ever venture into adderle park it was always full of kids playing football

yes was always playing in Adderley park, down the canals and the tyres and the tips

anyone remember the Blues man from ash road him and his brother were killed at Adderley park station

A couple of images of two of the named places, one of Arden Road in the 1950's and the other is of the top end of Adderley Road by the park in the 60's.

Saltley Arden Rd c1950 (2).jpg

Saltley Adderley Park 1966.jpg

anyone remember the Blues man from ash road him and his brother were killed at Adderley park station
No I cannot recall the blues man what sort of era did you play in adderley park and by the canals I presume the tyres you mean at the top of hams road also my wife attended the rosary

A couple of images of two of the named places, one of Arden Road in the 1950's and the other is of the top end of Adderley Road by the park
A couple of images of two of the named places, one of Arden Road in the 1950's and the other is of the top end of Adderley Road by the park in the 60's.

View attachment 128441

View attachment 128442
Love the pictures of Arden road i remember the cafe and the old lady who lived next door the house in adderley park was the parkeepers house

No I cannot recall the blues man what sort of era did you play in adderley park and by the canals I presume the tyres you mean at the top of hams road also my wife attended the rosary

late 70s early 80s mate I left saltley in 83

the tyres place was on landor street onto the canal big place it was, time spent there with rest of kids from Ash road

I moved in to 328 Adderley road as a new bride and had my 2 children there I worked as a dinner lady at Adderley j&I school for about 5 years before moving to Bordesley Green
Hi! I was interested to see that you used to live at 328 Adderley Road. My maternal grandparents used to live at 320, which is where my mother was born in 1905. Adderley Road is quite long and it was not evident just where 320 was located, I assume that it was not too far from your old address so backed on to the park at the Landor Street end. Do you have any idea just where about in that row of houses 320 would have been? Thanks for any help.

Hi Anthonyp
I moved into 328 in the Christmas of 1973 and was the last house in Adderley road then as next door was a car repair business left in 1985 .320 would have been 4 houses away from 328

Hi Anthonyp
I moved into 328 in the Christmas of 1973 and was the last house in Adderley road then as next door was a car repair business left in 1985 .320 would have been 4 houses away from 328

Thanks for that Rosie. It has all changed hugely since those days with all of the old houses having disappeared. I'm not sure how much room there was in those houses but my grandparents managed to bring up a family of five boys and four girls in there!

Anthony they were roomy houses 2 reception rooms a big kitchen 2 double bedrooms and a big bathroom but we had a boy and a girl so had to move they were damp as well as there was no central heating

Anthony they were roomy houses 2 reception rooms a big kitchen 2 double bedrooms and a big bathroom but we had a boy and a girl so had to move they were damp as well as there was no central heating
They were larger than I thought. I suppose the Victorians needed reasonable space for the large families that they had! Your information has been very useful in understanding better the area in which they lived at that time. Unfortunately, none of my generation asked the right questions when there was anyone alive to answer them, so there's a lesson - ask the questions while you can!

Hi I am new to the forum i lived in Arden road Saltley from 1961 to 1986 has any body got any memories from around that time

I lived in Ash Road from about 1955 to 1967 in the blocks of flats that were built opposite Hall Road. They are not there now, been demolished to make way for more housing. There were only 18 flats in three blocks and we all fairly large gardens. I had a friend who lived in Hams Road and we used to shout each other across the gardens out the back. Went to Adderley Road Junior School and Adderley Infants (I think it is called St. Saviours now). That cafe in Arden Road used to sell Lemonade with ice cubes in it. No one had freezers then so ice cubes were really new to us. At the top of Arden Road (near Ash Road) there was a sweet shop run by two sisters. Mom and I used to go there every Friday night for our weekly sweet treat. When I reached 13 I was allowed to work for Mrs. Cutts who had the grocery shop in Ash Road. Used to work one hour each afternoon after school and then three hours on Saturday. In 1967 we moved "to the country" Nansen Road, very close to Ward End Park. It really was like being in the country after Ash Road.

Hi I am new to the forum i lived in Arden road saltley from 1961 to 1986 has any body got any memories from around that time

Sure I have mentioned this before, but does anyone remember the cheese factory that used to be in Adderley Road?

Does anyone have any information about 44 Adderley road start of the 1960s an my grandfather Frederick Tyrrell who lived there?

There's not a lot of info available for individual houses. Adderley Road appears on the census for the first time in 1861, only 236 entries which increases to 716 in 1871 and 1170 in 1890 so likely the houses weren't built all in one go.

There doesn't appear to many old photos of Adderley Road, closest to no.44 I think I've seen is from somewhere near Duddeston Mill Road, which is not that close.

The oldest map to show the houses is from 1889 and this follows a map from 1950. Pick dot marks what I think was no. 44 in 1889...

0 - Adderley Road.jpg 0 - Adderley Road.jpg

I can only find a Frederick Tyrrell living at 44 Adderley Road in 1965. He was living there alone unless he had children younger than 21 living with him. This is on Ancestry.

Back