• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Acocks Green house

james houston

Mr Sparks
When I was a young lad in the 60s on the corner of the junction of Shirley Rd and Victoria Rd ,Acocks Green by the island there was an old derelict Victorian House which stood empty for years.Has anyone anyone any details on the history or the occupants of this property. As kids it was known as the haunted house and earlier than that as "Crabbies". Haven't been able to find any photos which would be great.

Is the house in red on the map c 1889 below the house you mean?. If so it was 103 Shirley Road and in the late 19th century was named "The Oaklands" (Ignore the little red blob marking the road junction just below the house)

map_c_1952_showing_no_103_shirley_road.jpg

No pictures but:
In Kellys directories The Oaklands is listed as being occupied by Henry Phillips from 1872 - 1905. Mr Phillips is listed as being in Acocks Green in the 1867 directory, but it does not list an address. From the 1908- 1921 editions Charles Richard Bloxidge is listed. However directory dates are publication dates, and date can refer to a year earlier, or in earlier editions possibly slightly more. From 1920 the online electoral rolls give :
1925 Joseph & Adelaide Rouse
1927 Robert & Florence Branford
1930 William & Helen Whitelaw
1935 - 1939 William & Olwen McGregor
1945 - 1947 Winfred & Robert Diment
1950-1957 Alfred & Muriel Harvey ( in 1942 also Pauline Harvey & 1955-57 also Nicolas Harvey
1960 John, Dorothy and Roland Jones & Muriel Tingey
1962 John, Dorothy, Roland, Hilary & Muriel Jones
1965 Rowland Jones
The online electoral rolls do not go beyond 1965

Thanks Mike, excellent breakdown of names it was a wonderful building which unfortunately was left to rot I think after builders bought it to build houses in the grounds .It would be nice to find a picture, also wondering whether William and Helen Whitelaw 1930 were the Politician Willie Whitelaws parents.Thanks Jim

Back