• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

accidentally killed

rupedenby

proper brummie kid
246.jpg256.jpgI visited my great uncles grave this year in france and was shocked to read killed accidentally anyone know was this usual or not , especially for a major?

It's a bit difficult to say, but my great grandfather was a WWI pilot, a flight engineer. He said that "flying was still in its infancy; planes were piano wire and canvas". He had a serious accident when the propeller hit his head when starting the engine, and still had the scar to show for it. A few days later another pilot died doing the same.

He witnessed several fatal crashes, and had a few emergency landing, and near misses; all this was while he was still in the UK. So I would say yes there were a lot of people killed accidently, in one way or another.

I'm sure I read somewhere a list of WW1 casualties and thier definitions but can't find it again.

There number of Accidental Deaths entered on my spreadsheet, one man, for example was badly burned in a magazine explosion. A couple of men were killed during training. There are two Canadians who were killed when they flew too low while showing off to some young ladies and flew into a flagpole. I have others, all tragic.

just an idea...do you happen to have his war records...may have some info in them...

lyn

hello, only just come back online tonight , but a great few replies thankyou. these are all very helpful answers I think I will have to try for his war records, I realised many were killed accidentally, but but thought a "major" may have been a little bit more of a rareity. thanks all again Rupert.

I was talking to someone about this the other day who said that they thought that deaths amongst officers was proportionally quite high in WWI

The German Push started on 21 March 1918, causing the British front to collapse in this region. There were many units lost fighting rearguard actions enabling other units to retreat. Being a Major in the artillery he would have most likely have had a horse. It was not unheard of for a horse to rear up and unseat it's rider causing severe injuries or even death.
Being an Officer the National Archives would have his service papers either to view at Kew or if you decided to buy online they give an approximate price and according to how much information they hold it can be very costly. I was quoted £145 earlier this year for a copy certain officer's records. Yet another officer I was researching was only £28 due to the fact there was less information.

Terry

Hi
The records can be located online on the NA website. You do not get to see them but order a copy. Then member of the archives staff finds out how much paperwork is in the file and emails you an approximate price on how much it is going to cost.

Regards

Terry

The war diary of his unit, 34th Brigade RFA, says that Major Whitehouse was killed by the premature explosion of a shell being fired by 50 Battery. Poor fellow. If you would like to let me have your email address (private message best for that) I will send you the pages.

PS interesting to see that the CWGC register has his unit wrong! That is pretty unusual.

hello chris ,thanks for the post I hopefully have private messaged you , please let me know if you have received it , cheers Rupert

Back