• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A.T.V. at Aston Cross

Mazbeth, you can not use the words actors and crossroads in the same sentence.

Not to mention of the legendary Amy Turtle!!

I also seem to remember The Beatles giving a broadcast performance from the Aston Studios in about 1964.As word spread,the studios were beseiged,and the Fab Four had to be spirited away via the back door!

as i lived along the road from the studios
on lichfield rd i used to see all actors and producers and the news announcers regular as clock work coming and going in amd out of the studios
the most ones i seen regular was gale,s mom ; off coronationstreet
when she played in cross rds i always seen nearly every day she would alway be getting into to her little mg sports car
she was a tasty bit of fluff inthose days when she used to wear the mini skirts and alan taylor and his wife the producer
they have emigrated to the south of france to the vin yards
alan had a heart complaint then they ended up doing the poiticalparty programe onsunday mornind
but i seen alot of actors coming and going every day
best wishes astonian ;;

I worked in a pub in Harborne The White Swan,in the dining area, all the cast from crossroads came
in for their lunch,it was a nice pub,early70s.Iived in Ballsall Heath in the 60s and the man who played Carlos the chef lived in a block of flats around the corner from me

hello all, years ago i did a gig at the KIngway Coventry rd, with Amy Tutle and her sister on the piano.

shardeen

lunchbox.jpg

I use to go and wait for Tinger & Tucker to come out but then I was only 7, does anyone else remember Tinger & Tucker with Aunty Jean?

Lunchbox circa 1956, was a light-hearted sing-along show presented by Noele Gordon with Jerry Allen and his Trio providing the music. The ever-grinning Jerry Allen was the organist and his cohorts were drummer, Lionel Rubin, Alan Graham on vibes and bassist, Ken Ingarfield.

One of my parents friends used to deal in antiques and during his travels he came across a huge stuffed Bear must have easily been 6 foot tall - he let Crossroads use it on set for a while it was by the reception desk in those scenes for a while!! I always remmember sitting watching Crossroads to look for the stuffed bear!!

I tried years ago to find pictures of it on the site and never found any - shame really as it was just a kid thing my family grew up doing. Would have been nice trying to find a picture as my sister remembers it well too - must have been how mum got us children to behave when she watched Crossroads ha ha

Could this be the Bear that Ossie Osbourne stuck outside his house, at the bus-stop in Aston, and was stolen inside of five minutes ???

Last edited:
I was friends with the late Roger Tongue, 'Sandy' from ''Crossroads'' - he was a great bloke with no 'side' to him. He was pleasant natured and quite shy. He was also very generous and often bought me a pint of beer, as I was but a poor chap then......I still am! I remember him with great affection.

I Also used to go to the TV Studios to see Thank Your Lucky Stars .My friends and i would hang about outside hoping to catch a glimpse of Sandy or Benny from Crossroads. Does anyone remember a pop programm called For" Teenagers only"? No one seems to remember it.

Although I don't remember the programme "For Teenagers Only". There are a couple of references to the show on line at: https://blogs.sundaymercury.net/bev-bevan/2010/05/bev-bevan-diary-the-last-weeks.html and the Brum Beat website. I used to watch "Crossroads" whenever I came for a visit to Brum. So I got to know the original characters really well. I remember Sandy especially and who could forget the character of Amy Turtle played by Ann George, who was from Erdington.. I had a crush on David Hunter played by Ronald Allen. There is a very good description of the whole show on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(soap_opera)

I do remember the name For Teenagers Only, but I can't place the programme. We went a few times to see Thank Your Lucky Stars - I loved Janice Nicholls, she has gone down in history for her saying "O'ill give it foive" - where is she now?

I remember For Teenagers Only it was on tv on a Thursday night,i got tickets twice to see
Mark Winter and The Swinging Blue Jeans,and i remember when the Beatles were at the studio`s
you could not move in Aston Cross.

I Remember going to the shows and they used to Hold boards up to tell us Teenagers to scream!! applaud!! etc. Then when it was aired on tv my friends and i would watch in anticipation to pick ourselves out in the audience we were seen quite a lot in our Duffle coats screaming and waving .Does anyone know if there would be anyway,or you would go about getting any copies from the show?The times i have mentioned this show to people my age no one has ever remembered it.Thanks to all on bhf.

The only teenager's programme I remember from the late 50's was 'Cool for cat's' and I wouldn't miss it for anything. Does anyone else remember that one?

I Remember going to the shows and they used to Hold boards up to tell us Teenagers to scream!! applaud!! etc. Then when it was aired on tv my friends and i would watch in anticipation to pick ourselves out in the audience we were seen quite a lot in our Duffle coats screaming and waving .Does anyone know if there would be anyway,or you would go about getting any copies from the show?The times i have mentioned this show to people my age no one has ever remembered it.Thanks to all on bhf.

Yes, I went to see Thank Your Lucky Stars recorded a couple of times at the ATV studios in the mid 60's and I remember the board saying 'applause'
If you didn't do it well enough they would stop the recording and make you do it again!!

I remember going there as a small child, before the studios moved to Bridge Street. They used to transmit a live program from there called , if memory serves, Women today. It was hosted by Jean Morton and Wendy Jones, and went out mid afternoon. I don't know the finer details but my grandmother was invited on to do an article on crocheting and knitting. The idea was that she would knit live on air and give out tips. Someone commented on how quick she could knit and crochet and she said 'you should see my daughter go'. Well that was it - my mum was invited on and they had a regular spot for a while on the show making all sorts - I still have a coat hanger cover of a ' guardsman' somewhere that was made on the show. I was allowed to go and see the program being made once and rememer being upset when Auntie Jean Morton was there but no sign of Tingha and Tucker - must have been 1969 or 1970. The program was made for a short while at Bridge Street when Aston Cross closed , I never did get to see it in the studios in Bridge Street - but did get there many years later - when I was on Tiswas - but that's another story.

I believe that many recordings of shows etc from the sixties have been lost due to being taped over, this was because of the high cost of recording material at the time.

it,s great watching those clips on you tube i think "i,ll give em foive" . It is a shame that some of the other shows may be lost forever;

used to go to the studio after getting out from Lozells girls school on Fridays:)(to get autographs) ..the one thing i remember was the Crossroads cast..:rolleyes:one day after standing for hours in the pouring rain..two of the main characters walked straight past us :rolleyes:the guy who played Hugh Mortimer was lovely ..he stood in the rain among us 14yr olds for ages :)signed autographs and had pics taken ..a true gent

Yes Topsy trouble was i got expelled after a year :rolleyes:..i was so afraid of Miss cage i used to wag it:)

Here's a lovely picture of Janice Nicholls with her husband Brian Meacham (formerly Brian Gulliver of Brian Gulliver and the Travellers). Dunno who the other four blokes are. ;)

This ATV studios thread has brought back so many memories. I remember Jane Rossington coming into the Insurance company where I worked on Hagley Rd, and I have never seen blokes race to serve someone so fast in all my life! I also got stuck in a lift with Noelle Gordon at Good Hope Hospital. Her Mom Jockey had had a stroke as had my Mom so we were comparing notes. She was quite down to earth with me, not a bit 'starry'.

View attachment 71050 Just came across this in our photos. Taken on the Crossroads set not sure of the year. My husband Alan Bailey (aka Bernie the Bolt) in the front. Standing far right John Baker (also Bernie the Bolt with Alan) Bunny Greenshields, Archie Harthill and Ray Lodge

Back