• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A.T.V. at Aston Cross

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
Does anyone remember the TV studios on Aston Cross when Noel Gordon was in Cross Roads. Also, what was the dinner time program called? Lunchbox I think? I remember hanging around there as a youngster waiting to catch sight of someone famous. Does anyone remember their names?
Lynda in Wales

Well my goodness :laugh: Thank you postie. Can you remember the name of the group that used to sing?
Lynda

my dad was in the audience of Lunchbox once...
(we only lived up the road)
wish they videoed stuff in them days :(

when I lived in Endwood Court Road in '78/'79, (Handsworth Wood), I saw Noelle Gordon, who lived round the corner on Handsworth Wood Road, emptying her rubbish into the front courtyard dustbin once ;D 8)

I used to regularly have my hair cut at Raymonds, New Street, near to the Odeon cinema. I saw Noelle gordon there several times with her rollers in and having her nails polished.  The staff used to rush around and treat her like royalty which in them days I suppose she was! :laugh: :smurfin: I also used to work on Saturdays at Braggs cake shop in Shard End and 'Benny' often came into the shop with his Mom and no he wasn't dappy and he didn't wear a hat either! :2funny:

Gillian

:) Gillian, you didn't used to go to Erdington Grammar school did you?
I'm sure there was someone with a similar name to you in my class or my year (of course you may have a married surname now)
But I just looked at your profile and you are the same age (give or take months).
I was there 70-75.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Benny used to run a pub I think, didn't he?

I once played Tenpin Bowling with the Crossroads team at the opening of the Wolverampton Bowling Allley O0

More stories if you ask and good ones :)

One of my parents friends used to deal in antiques and during his travels he came across a huge stuffed Bear must have easily been 6 foot tall - he let Crossroads use it on set for a while it was by the reception desk in those scenes for a while!! I always remmember sitting watching Crossroads to look for the stuffed bear!!

I tried years ago to find pictures of it on the site and never found any - shame really as it was just a kid thing my family grew up doing. Would have been nice trying to find a picture as my sister remembers it well too - must have been how mum got us children to behave when she watched Crossroads ha ha

i came io birmingham two weeks ago and i drove around the no .11 bus route to visit my family grave in hands worth wood , and when i got to hands worth wood i stopped for a while and remenincence, of the days gone bye when i used to deliver milk to the surrounding area for midland counties dairy ,s at corporation st at costa green , at the time it was a big round , and big houses , i passed noel gordon,s house where she used to live with her mom , and for a decacade there house layed in ruin,s ,but now i seen it rebuilt and a housing assocation now tuned it into flats for people, they kept the building in the orinal colour of white , roger togue lived on the hagley road , in a big block of private flats facing the ivy bush pub , and old carlos the chef lived in a run down block of flats in high gate even after the he got axed he always wore a leather jacket , i used to deliver milk to him , but he w3as a very nice guy and would aways speak to people in the street , best wishes to all astonian ,;;;;

did Carlos used to live on Parliament St. Aston, (a corner, I think, of Parliament St. and Webster St.?) or was that another Crossroads actor?

I remember going to the ATV studio
to see"The Golden Shot"
a friend of the family worked at a nearby garage
and used to service the actors cars,and was always given
tickets for some show or other

:angel: I also went to 'The Golden Shot' ...Up a bit , left a bit, a bit more... O0

I think Anthony Morton (Chef Carlos Raphael (1964-1967)) lived most of his life, if not all of it in Highgate (I May be wrong though) Mazbeth:

Celebrated TV and Film actor Tony Morton's vivid recollection of his early life in Highgate with his Mother and Grandmother are profoundly moving.... Date of birth 1927 Date of death 15 January 2001 Birmingham

Chris :angel:

yes. yes. mazbeth you are right, i have spent the last thirty min,s racking my pea brain out to tell you he lived in high gate there used to be an old doss house , and they used to call it the routen house , and where wing yip .s ware house used to be there was a block of old flats that used to lay off the street and he used to livein there for years it was by leopold st highgate a very run down place and also john fordgon the actor who,s made good he was from around there as well ,co,s i deliverd his milk he had a small part in cross roads as well

;D ;D ;D

I remember my mom saying something about one of the Crossroads cast living over the road from us (in Parliament St.)
Maybe it was someone who played a hairdresser/barber than??? or went on to be one in real life??

hello
My dad had a fish & chip shop in Park Lane Aston & he supplied fish & chips for one of the scenes in Cross Roads
If any one remembers the chip shop, my Dad & Mom was Cyril & Vicky Wheeler,,,,Does anyone remember them
I am talking about the 1960 ish.

Regards
Sue

A.T.V at aston cross was also the home for Thank Your Lucky Stars

every sunday from 9am till 6pm you would find hoards of you kids waiting in sorts of weather for thier stars-- sometimes just to get a look at them-- other times meet them -- saw the beatles do a show there once tom jones was on the bill as well and he had to keep re doing his start which was just next to where we were sitting.

i once pulled on the pavement in my car to let out my mate who was trying to catch a bus outside noel gordons house,she came out and her language was worse than a navvie,she was awful,but being a very polite tyke from aston i very kindly gave her an answer to which her jaw dropped and she scurried back inside,from that day i never did like her,she had one face for the tv and another for herself,she also went home once because someone dared park in her car parking space.
when we got bored at the studios we would try and get a drink in the star or the mizepha by the retreat

reply to jhc i remember your mom and dads chippy it was the best am i right in thinking they moved to Chelmsley Wood.

Dollyferret she lived next door to my Ma ..Suprise Suprise ..... But I never met her and when she got the sack ...........it killed her

When I worked in Norton Street, Hockley, I used to drive down by the flat and would often see Noelle's gold coloured Rolls Royce parked outside a newsagent on the corner of Whitmore Street, perhaps getting her fags. She always had a lot of make up on and had a very lined faced. I never liked her even when she was on Lunch Box in the 1950s and I never watched Crossroads.

I used to work on the Wools/Art Needlework dept. in Rackhams before I married.
Noelle Gordon used to buy knitting yarns from us. Whenever she strode up to the counter in 'full plumage' to make her purchases, she would speak in the loudest voice, it certainly made sure that everyone else in the whole store could hear her.

Another memory is this one...
when I was thirteen my Dad took me to the studio's to see 'Bid For Fame' being broadcast. They used to hold signs up to tell us all when to clap.

re atv

I remember noel gorden.when i first got married,we had a flat in handsworth wood rd,one morning i saw gorden across the road, and said good morning to her,she looked down on me and worked on.The chap who played her son sandy,didnt he go to upper thomas st school (roger tonge).at the time i was a part time porter at the royal angus hotel,i met most of the crew there.One day Jimmey savell come to stay,he signed
as percy is ficticouse brother,i took all his junk lodes of it up to is room,and he said
to me doctor i want a electric fire it is cold in i here.see what can be done said i,So i told the manager he said better give him one to keep the peace.on delivery of the said item,he gave ne 10 pence tip and a 12inch cigar.a lot people from atv aton cross stopped there,i met some well known faces,and got mega wonger tips as well. pete

yes. yes. mazbeth you are right, i have spent the last thirty min,s racking my pea brain out to tell you he lived in high gate there used to be an old doss house , and they used to call it the routen house , and where wing yip .s ware house used to be there was a block of old flats that used to lay off the street and he used to livein there for years it was by leopold st highgate a very run down place and also john fordgon the actor who,s made good he was from around there as well ,co,s i deliverd his milk he had a small part in cross roads as well

The Rowten House is now called the Parragon Hotel. It has a conference room called the Rowten Suite.

hi, i remember ATV our dad used to get free tickets for myself and sister to go and see Thank your Lucky stars, we saw Sony & Cher, Donovan, many more whose names have gone for the moment, its late, i'm done in what can i say ha!
how about the live shows at the Odeon in the 60's saw the Beach Boys there a couple of Times, and Barry Ryan i followed him into the Mulberry Bush pub and got his autograph.
:rolleyes:

Back