• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A stroll around Brum today, 08 04 16

thanks for the photos john..i know which is my favourite lol...i have moved the thread to the old and new pics of brum section

lyn

Photo 1 of the second set (the building site with the yellow digger in the foreground) is on the Arena Central site, on Broad St, and opposite the new library.

This will be the site of the new HSBC UK Bank headquarters that is moving from London.

Will the City Centre ever be finished ? There is always an area some where looking like a bomb sight. Some parts remind me when we caught a 'bus into town after an air raid, the difference being it is now self inflicted. I find it all very sad, perhaps I'm to old !!! Eric

Thanks John. I like the last photo in the second post. Lots of colour and with some gorgeous cherry blossom trees lining the buildings. Looks very vibrant. And I now see why the Golden Boys are so gold - to tie I with the gold bands of the library. It's very striking. Viv.

Will the City Centre ever be finished ? There is always an area some where looking like a bomb sight.

Well the area where the old library is being knocked down (the project is called "Paradise") is going to take 10 years. The last building is due to be completed in 2025.

There is a timeline for the project here

https://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/timeline/

Then in the next couple of years the huge Wholesale Market will move out of the city centre, and the whole area South of the BullRing will be redeveloped, another 10 year project.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-35827021

And then next to Moor Street station the huge HS2 station will be built as part of the HS2 rail line from London, and that is not due to be finished till 2026 (and I expect there will be a few delays on that project as well).

So to answer your question, no it will never be finished.

15-07-15 052.jpgThis was taken from the canal yesterday, I can just make out Eng. works, but not much else, wander if Mike could tell us who was in it, the building is in Icknield Street.

hi john i cant make out more than you can but maybe someone else will do better...

lyn

Thanks John for posting these pics. The photo of the demolition of the Central Library shows the Adrian Boult Hall alongside. This hall will be closing in June and there is a series of concerts in May and June in celebration.

Also thanks to Guilbert53 for the comments about future developments. Yes the HS2 Station will be in Moor Street as stated. When will the authorities admit this and stop calling it Curson Street.

Curzon Street Station Moor Street.jpgCurzon Street Station Concourse, Moor Street. Artist's impression from Birmingham HS2 Curzon Masterplan.

Last edited:
Thanks John. I like the last photo in the second post. Lots of colour and with some gorgeous cherry blossom trees lining the buildings. Looks very vibrant. And I now see why the Golden Boys are so gold - to tie I with the gold bands of the library. It's very striking. Viv.

That's called Oozells Square at Brindleyplace. Behind John is the IKON Gallery (in the building that used to be the Oozells Street School). Is always cherry blossom on the trees there at this time of the year!

One of my old 2009 photos of it.

1940 Kelly's lists a A H Bayes and Co engnrs. They were between Camden Street and Alfred's Place.

Janice

John's first photo is of the St Thomas's Peace Garden. Is is near Holloway Head. This is the view with the railings from Washington Street.

Found this on Birmingham Library photos.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Biddle and Webb popular auctioneers building on Icknield Square. This building was formerly the home of Lesbrooks Engineering Company.[/FONT]

Taken from the canal yesterday, I can just make out Eng. works, but not much else, wander if Mike could tell us who was in it, the building is in Icknield Street.

Eric,

Can I join you in being a grumpy old man? We were saying this in the late 1950s and I don't think we have ëver since stopped saying "When is the City Centre going to stop looking like a bomb site?'" and now Guilbert informs us that it's going to continue for another 15 years at least!

The problem is that very little have been preserved in the City Centre and I don't think we have many worthy buildings to replace what has been swept away. Perhaps that is Birmingham's destiny - a showpiece bomb site!. I've seen many pictures of the the new Library and still regard it as an apt tribute to Birmingham's wireworkers..........

Maurice

View attachment 104332This was taken from the canal yesterday, I can just make out Eng. works, but not much else, wander if Mike could tell us who was in it, the building is in Icknield Street.

Hi John. Can I post this photo on the 'Ghost Signs' thread please? It helps to keep a record of all the ghost signs together - before they disappear. Viv.

Also thanks to Guilbert53 for the comments about future developments. Yes the HS2 Station will be in Moor Street as stated. When will the authorities admit this and stop calling it Curson Street.

The new HS2 station will be North of Moor Street station, on the empty plot of land between Curzon Street and the railway line that runs in a North Easterly direction out of New Street station.

While the design of the station has not been agreed yet here is an image that shows roughly the size and shape of the station, and as you can see, it is huge.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3...LGV8ZNSC3Yj1aDpXC_UJq1qbXb2BG1ngBm6FNQMmDqqRA

The station will be so long the front of it will touch Moor St Queensway and the back of it will go right out to the "outer" ring road. And Curzon street will run along the side of much of it.

Even though it comes out on to Moor St Queensway I guess they have to give it a different name and avoid calling it "Moor Street station" so there will be no confusion about the existing Moor Street station. Hence the "Curzon St station" name (though that might not be the final name).

Not sure where to put this, but took this new photo of the IKON Gallery from the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham. Oozells Square is out of shot in front of the building.

Suggest you start an Ikon gallery thread Ell. I've searched but can't find one for the gallery or the old school. Think the Ikon gallery building is a really interesting one. Be good to see sone history about it and interior photos. Imagine it's interior tells us a lot. Viv.

Last edited:
Surprised that there isn't already a thread about the ex Oozells Street School building already, or one for the IKON.

Many of my photos of it are from the last 7 years or so.

Eric,

Can I join you in being a grumpy old man? We were saying this in the late 1950s and I don't think we have ëver since stopped saying "When is the City Centre going to stop looking like a bomb site?'" and now Guilbert informs us that it's going to continue for another 15 years at least!

The problem is that very little have been preserved in the City Centre and I don't think we have many worthy buildings to replace what has been swept away. Perhaps that is Birmingham's destiny - a showpiece bomb site!. I've seen many pictures of the the new Library and still regard it as an apt tribute to Birmingham's wireworkers..........

Maurice
It's been going on a lot longer than that. There's an old song from the front end of the 19th century complaining about how much has been knocked down or just disappeared.
https://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/I_Cant_Find_Brummagem.htm

Even the place names aren't based on what the place used to be. There's a couple of "Heath"s that were probably cleared woodland judging by the soil beneath.

Back