• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A B.C.T. Bus Stop still in Postion

Looks as if it has been used in recent years for other puposes.

Apart from the local dogs, I think that it held the timetables, I also suspect that it may be on a list somewhere to be removed, and so ends a small piece, or part in the Transport History of Brum, pulls out a snot filled hanky and dabs eyes

Looks as if it has been used in recent years for other puposes.

It must date from when the trams on the Stratford Road were replaced by buses which was 1937 I think. It is unusual that the Service Number (31) is one of a handful left that have not changed since at least the 70s and in this case from Day 1. If you sandpapered away the blue paint underneath would still be the BCT red oxide that these stops used to be painted in. Remember the circular yellow litter bins that used to be fixed to some of these stops?

I understand that Centro now oversee bus stops these days rather than TWM that used to do this work. So if anyone wants to save it then they apparently are the people to contact.

I do hope that it is not smashed up or cut up with a disc cutter. I would not be unhappy to have it in my back garden with a suitable round type BCT bus stop sign put in place of the WMPTE tubular one as a reminder of the excellent bus services we used to have back in WMPTE days.

I recall that Tyburn Road must have dealt with bus stops and shelters as round the back of the Works in the mid 70s I saw was a large collection of old bus stops and shelter parts.

I did come back home from Acocks Green Library this way one day back in 1973. Off peak on the Outer Circle back then was all Fleetlines which never appealed and so I walked up to Olton Boulevard East/Shirley Road roundabout and got the 31 from there round to the Gospel Oak and walked the rest. It was if I recall correctly 2542 one of the older Guys from Acocks Green Garage. I was bemused by the highly circuituous route that the bus seemed to take round Severne Road and Nailstone Crescent. Happy days as always.

I note that the remains of the bus shelter that was in Shaftmorr lane has now gone, it appears that the have recently tarmaced the pavement have have done away with the former bus shelter.

Back