• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

88 Queens Road, Aston 1883

Thanks Lyn, that's a shame but it does put her family on Queens Road (and possibly no. 88).

Yes, he was a reporter/journalist. Mary Flamank's relatives appear to have had an interesting set of occupations, a few siblings mentioned and her father was listed as an artist though in contrast her grandfather was a taxman.

Mary's brother was a photographer and there are lots of mentions of him in the newspapers. Her sister (Mabel Botwood) was a journalist and she gets some mentions also and on 25 Nov 1882 the birth of her daughter is mentioned and the address given seems to be Queens Road, don't know if there's a number.
What newspaper was it in? I can't find it on the newspaper archive site when I search.

map showing no 88..... not really relevant but one of our members eric cooke was born at 1/89 near to the brewery then later on moved to his grans at no 84

lynqueens road map no 88.jpeg

The daughter of Mabel Botwood mentioned above was baptised 15 Dec 1882 - Elizabeth Agnes - and if she was living on Queens Road then this may give a house number.
just an aside i have her burial and the written record states name as elizabeth ann not agnes..address again is queens road no number given ..she was only 6 weeks old buried aston parish church

lyn

Mary's brother in law, Harry Arthur Botwood, reporter, wrote a 97 page booklet entitled "A History of Aston Manor Past and Present". It was printed by himself in Victoria Road in 1889. The document can be viewed in full by searching in Google Books. The book was illustrated by Mary's brother R K R Flamank, photographer and artist. Unfortunately the illustrations have not digitised well.

Botwood, H A - A History of Aston Manor.jpg

Mary's brother in law, Harry Arthur Botwood, reporter, wrote a 97 page booklet entitled "A History of Aston Manor Past and Present". It was printed by himself in Victoria Road in 1889. The document can be viewed in full by searching in Google Books. The book was illustrated by Mary's brother R K R Flamank, photographer and artist. Unfortunately the illustrations have not digitised well.

View attachment 180500
very interesting info brasscaster..thanks

Back