• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

72 High Street Deritend

Dianne

master brummie
Hi could anyone tell me what the name of the public house situated at 72 High St Deritend 1881 was?

Many thanks

Dianne

Hi,

I have found on the 1881 census my maternal great great grandfather was publican at the above address, I am curious to know what the name of the pub was ? if anyone can help please ! ( he was Samuel Woodley born 1839 ish! in Bristol)

Regards

Dianne

Diane
Technically Deritend was not a street name. There was High Street Deritend (on south side no 2 -54) which led into High Street Bordesley ( south side nos 56-112)
I hope that is reasonably clear. Here we are therefore looking for 72 High St Bordesley..
This was occupied by Samuel Woodley, as presumably you already know. The name of the pub is not listed in the 1871 or 1881 censuses or any directory, which was not uncommon in those years. It disappeared between 1890 and 1892, by when Hoskins and Sewell bedstead makers had taken over nos 71 -76 to expand their metallic bedstead factory previously at 77-83. This agrees with the pub not being in the 1891 census. However the next item in the 1881 census lists No 1 back 72 , but then adds “back Brittania”. Therefore the pub must have been named The Britttania
mike

diane
Talk about coincidence. today i recieved a copy of Vol 2 of Central birmingham pubs by Joseph McKenna from e-bay. when i answered your post i had forgotten it was coming. On page 34 it just mentions The Brittania at no 72, landlord Abraham Lowe in 1855.
Mike

That is a coincidence !! .. Samuel Woodley ( my interest) was Landlord on the 1881 census , on the 1891 census he no longer there but listed as "Beer Retailer"

Dianne

Back