• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

656-658 Chester Road

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction please? There is a large white building which is actually two properties close to Chester Road station. This house was built before the railway came and, like a good many other buildings in this area, sits on the boundary between Erdington and Sutton. It is actually in Erdington but some of the businesses there have Sutton addresses.

I have tried to find it on the censuses but as Chester Road, Erdington is quite long and I believe the numbers have changed with the times, I cannot locate it. It seems as though the enumerator crossed the road several times on the Sutton Census so I can't tell if he did this on the Erdington one.

I think it was probably built around the same time as the large houses (now demolished) on the Lyndhurst Estate which would be around 1840. The map below, which was drawn at the time of the enclosure - about 1857 in this area, shows the house to the right of the railway and it's probable that the railway was added later as it came through in 1862 with the station built in 1863.

Does anyone have any ideas about tracing the original occupants please?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• Enclosure Sales.jpg
    Enclosure Sales.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 18
I can't see any numbers for Chester Road on early censuses and it may well have been Old Chester Road at one time, listed as such on the 1890 map.

On the 1841 census there are only 5 properties listed for Old Chester Road in Aston/Sutton Coldfield and they come between Lower Green Lanes and Baldmoor Lake. Not much help.

If you can find someone who has a subscription to the Genealogist site, they have tithe maps on it with details of the owners of plots on it. I had a subscription for one year a while ago, but not now unfortunately

Thank you both for your input.

MWS, The 'Old' Chester Road has been the same route since it was turnpiked in 1760 and there are one or two theories about why it was so named as it didn't go to Chester.
Mike, I'll ask around at the history group to see if anyone has a subscription. My problem with the group is that it's a Sutton Group and Erdington is 'another country'.

Again, thank you.

Back