• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

30 Gt Hampton St, Strawbridge.

This map is from 1889 and I'm not totally certain but I think the pink dot is no. 30. On a later map the lower green dot with the back houses is listed as no. 26 and on the 1891 census the upper green dot is listed after the post office (which is marked) and as no. 42. And counting from either end appears to match.

0 - Great Hampton St.jpg

I'm not clear what the mention of strawbridge is. There is nothing about them on this thread

The Strawbridges are listed as glazier and painter. The sign appeared to be at the back of 30 Gt Hampton street. We're there any houses at number 30 or was it just premises?

While there were people who did just glazing, large sheets like shopfronts etc. Glazing was normally part of a painters works. In the same way, there were painter who only painted, hospitals etc. Most painters also hung wallpaper, and applied other decorative finished like graining, gilding, marbling and a few even did some signwriting.

Have not succeeded in finding him at that address, though I should point out that the sign does not say Great Hampton st , though it can be assumed that it was , from the position. However it must be William joseph Strawbridge, who appears in the mid 1860s at 44, Edward St (off Parade), moves to 15 Louisa St and then to 210 Well St. Not seen in directories after the early 1880s . Presumably at some time also at the address being investigated

There is an advert in the Bham Daily Gazette, 4 Jul 1877. The search results are a bit garbled but it appears to say House Painting, Glazing and gives the contact as Strawbridge, 30 Great Hampton Street.

And possibly a couple of more in June (19 & 21) that are more garbled.

There are also a couple of similar adverts in June 1877. the July one is below. The 1877 Kellys does not list him, or no 30 , (though it does list 30½). . So provably he was in th eprocess of moving when the directory was compiled. The 1878 edition lists him at 210 Well St, so presumably he was not at Gt Hampton St for long

Birm Gaz.. 4.7.1877.jpg

W J Strawbridge Birmingham, painter and glass dealer, petitioned for liquidation on 12/6/1875 as reported in the Liverpool Mercury.

Viv.

Attachments

• 09489948-4AB4-42C0-BB8D-D88AF6B38A8E.jpeg
    09489948-4AB4-42C0-BB8D-D88AF6B38A8E.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back