• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

3 back 153 latimer street Emma Mountford

wib45

hello still trying to find more of my husbands Mountford side I am in Ireland so find it difficult his great grandmother was Emma Mountford she is listed as a next of kin for her sons army record 1915 living
a 3 back 153 latimer street st martins not sure I understand this address have found them in 1901 census at another address but can find no more trace in 1911 have paid for credits and got nowhere she was married to a William Mountford so far have found no marriage any advise would be so welcome
know she had children Florence Annie Elizabeth and a Jane in 1901
thank you

Hello wib45 and welcome to the forum. Do you have a rough date of birth for Emma and William this might help with a search.
The address 3 back 153 Latimer Street is an address for the old Back to Back houses which means exactly what it says. The houses were built Back to Back the 'posh' ones were often on the front and some had bay windows onto the main street. The back houses were built on the back of these and formed courts with outside shared toilet, wash house known as the brew-house. The conditions were pretty bleak if you want to know more put 'back to backs' in the search engine top right.

They (William & Emma Louisa) are listed on the electoral rolls , with James Alfred Mountford in 1920 at 1 court 17 Ford St.
In 1922, - Just Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford
In 1925,1927 - Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford. Ernest Thomas Ward is also there
In 1930, 1935 & 1939 Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford

1945,1950,& 1955 Just Emma L. Mountford at 1 back 57 ford St, (which seems to be the same house, but Court renamed as “back of”)
Last online electoral roll in 1955, sp do not know further
mike

They (William & Emma Louisa) are listed on the electoral rolls , with James Alfred Mountford in 1920 at 1 court 17 Ford St.
In 1922, - Just Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford
In 1925,1927 - Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford. Ernest Thomas Ward is also there
In 1930, 1935 & 1939 Emma Louisa & James Alfred Mountford

1945,1950,& 1955 Just Emma L. Mountford at 1 back 57 ford St, (which seems to be the same house, but Court renamed as “back of”)
Last online electoral roll in 1955, sp do not know further
mike
thanks you for this not sure if our Emma in 1901 have her living with 4 daughters and son Frederick
at 11 Richmond place bishopgate says she is 42 married no sign of William just a lodger Emma Mills
have never been able to find them in 1881 1891 census in 1901 her daughter Annie was 19 daughter Florence
16 elizabeth 14 Jane 9 Frederick 12 the only one I found in 1911 census was Florence now married to Alfred Goodwin in 1910 and living in Coventry street sent for her marriage just said Parish church and william mountford died the only other clue we have was a army record for Frederick mountford with Emma Mountford as his next of kin in 1915 he was down as a news vendor and back of latimer street
address cant find emmas maiden name or marriage I am so very grateful for your reply

Hi

Here is a nice photo of Latimer St.
With the children playing.

Image3_Latimer_St.jpg

Regards Stars

Does anyone know the name of the terrace pictured here? I was born at 12/75 Trafalgar Terrace, Latimer Street. Family name Richardson.

I lived in Latimer street number 76,from 1953 to 1960.Please have you more photos of Latimer street.I think i remember the Richardson .

I lived in Latimer street number 76,from 1953 to 1960.Please have you more photos of Latimer street.I think i remember the Richardson .

The only photo's of Latimer Street besides this one are two Carl Chinn sent me, I am trying to find pictures of Latimer Street but it is very difficult. I was so pleased to see this picture as it is the terrace (trafalgar) we lived in and I believe my sister and I are both on this photo standing by the wall.

Jenlen thanks i will keep looking too,where were the other two taken.do you remember me at all my family lived at 76,Eileen Roy Pat Williams.

Yes i have seen this but thank you Astonite,im hoping to still find a photo of my house.Iwas told it was a shop at one time.

I have spoken to my sister Beryl and she or my sister Irene were friends with Pat Williams. Beryl has red hair (ginger as we always said when young) so would probably be remembered for that. We left Latimer Street in February 1962.

A couple more photos of Latimer Street, the back court one is tagged 1962 and the street one showing the Colmore Arms is dated c1959. The street itself disappeared in the mid 60's redevelopment of Lee bank.

Attachments

• Lee Bank Latimer St back court 1962.jpg
    Lee Bank Latimer St back court 1962.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Lee Bank Colmore Arms Latimer Street.JPG
    Lee Bank Colmore Arms Latimer Street.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 41
hi jenlen thanks for your reply,so are you the older sister?yes i remember your family well,my sister and i went to dancing lessons with them for a short time.i do remember your dad,he had a shed with all your toys in,i can remember him puting them away and locking the door.I have memories of playing with beryl,and i do remember her hair.I lived in the house facing the road next to mr mrs green,i think there was a bush in the garden.I love the picture of Latimer st,i have been looking for more,so if you can help i would be grateful.we left in 1960.

Thank you so much Phil,you have made my day ,with pictures of Latimer street,i can see my house.

I have spoken to my sister Beryl and she said Pat Williams was her best friend. I am the youngest of 6 being born in 1956, apparently when I was born Beryl said after going upstairs to see me, she went straight round to see Pat to tell she had a new sister.

Lovely to see these pictures as it is hard to find photos of Latimer Street and the terraces. I expect buying a camera was not on most peoples minds back then.

Im so pleased you sister Beryl remembers me ,I have wonderful memories growing up in Latimer street.I have a sister who was born in 1958 .Has she came across anyone else who we grew up with .

Hiya all Latimer Street people,
I lived at 90 Latimer Street circa 1956 to 1960, does anyone have some old photos of that area?.
I remember the Bennets next door and I used to play with Robert Hodgekiss a bit further up, I've got an old photo of me and my brother I will post on line when I sort it out.
Thanks Bobx

hi bob...there are a few photos on this thread...always best to start from post 1 on any thread in case you miss anything. hope this helps

lyn

Just a few more images of Latimer Street to add to the thread. The Britannia Inn on the corner of Piggot Street, The Cregoe Street junction, Looking along Latimer Street fromPiggot Street. Looking along Latimer Street in the other direction toward Great Colmore Street.

Latimer Street - Piggot Street Britannia Inn.JPG
Lee Bank Cregoe St - Latimer St  1960  (3).JPG
Lee Bank Latimer Street from Piggot Street 1958.JPG
Lee Bank Latimer Street from Great Colmore Street 1961.JPG

I take it Frederick Smith brewed his own beers. Did he have any other public houses?
There is a thread about Smiths Victoria Brewery but I do not believe it was the same people - or was it?

didnt notice smiths brewery on the pub alan..cant say as i have heard of them...crisps yes...beer no:D

Ah! Smiths Crisps. In my view (biased of course) only plain crisps with salt are worth considering. The rest, with some strange flavours, seem adulterated. The only time I was ever allowed to go to a pub was to the outdoor? (known as jug and bottle here) in order to buy crisps. Actually in was in the RAF some six months before I was legally allowed to buy a drink. :D

The Brittania was one of Frederick Smith's pubs (taken over by William Butlers of Wolverhampton in 1955). Frederick was the son of William Smith, who started the brewery in Queens Road that was taken over by Atkinsons in 1878.Frederick worked for Atkinsons for two years and then purchased the Victoria brewery from Tom Saull, and in 1888 built the new Aston Model Brewery in Lichfield Road. This was at 251 Lichfield Road, between Bourne Road and Holborn Hill

Alan,

We have a few odd flavours too here in Crete. One company introduced a lemon flavour, which I quite liked as we largely use lemons in place of vinegar here. I presume it wasn't popular as I am having to shop around to find them now and they will no doubt disappear completely by the end of the summer. We can also obtain most British flavours and some of those are pretty ghastly as well as being small packets compared with the Greek ones. Umpteen brands of Sea Salt & Black Pepper, but all taste much the same to me. Now way off topic. Let's get back to save our hides........ :)

I don't suppose the Smiths had any connection to the present day John Smiths? No, of course not!

Maurice :)

Back