• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

3 back 153 latimer street Emma Mountford

Im so pleased you sister Beryl remembers me ,I have wonderful memories growing up in Latimer street.I have a sister who was born in 1958 .Has she came across anyone else who we grew up with .

Hiya all Latimer Street people,
I lived at 90 Latimer Street circa 1956 to 1960, does anyone have some old photos of that area?.
I remember the Bennets next door and I used to play with Robert Hodgekiss a bit further up, I've got an old photo of me and my brother I will post on line when I sort it out.
Thanks Bobx

hi bob...there are a few photos on this thread...always best to start from post 1 on any thread in case you miss anything. hope this helps

lyn

Just a few more images of Latimer Street to add to the thread. The Britannia Inn on the corner of Piggot Street, The Cregoe Street junction, Looking along Latimer Street fromPiggot Street. Looking along Latimer Street in the other direction toward Great Colmore Street.

Latimer Street - Piggot Street Britannia Inn.JPG
Lee Bank Cregoe St - Latimer St  1960  (3).JPG
Lee Bank Latimer Street from Piggot Street 1958.JPG
Lee Bank Latimer Street from Great Colmore Street 1961.JPG

I take it Frederick Smith brewed his own beers. Did he have any other public houses?
There is a thread about Smiths Victoria Brewery but I do not believe it was the same people - or was it?

didnt notice smiths brewery on the pub alan..cant say as i have heard of them...crisps yes...beer no:D

Ah! Smiths Crisps. In my view (biased of course) only plain crisps with salt are worth considering. The rest, with some strange flavours, seem adulterated. The only time I was ever allowed to go to a pub was to the outdoor? (known as jug and bottle here) in order to buy crisps. Actually in was in the RAF some six months before I was legally allowed to buy a drink. :D

The Brittania was one of Frederick Smith's pubs (taken over by William Butlers of Wolverhampton in 1955). Frederick was the son of William Smith, who started the brewery in Queens Road that was taken over by Atkinsons in 1878.Frederick worked for Atkinsons for two years and then purchased the Victoria brewery from Tom Saull, and in 1888 built the new Aston Model Brewery in Lichfield Road. This was at 251 Lichfield Road, between Bourne Road and Holborn Hill

Alan,

We have a few odd flavours too here in Crete. One company introduced a lemon flavour, which I quite liked as we largely use lemons in place of vinegar here. I presume it wasn't popular as I am having to shop around to find them now and they will no doubt disappear completely by the end of the summer. We can also obtain most British flavours and some of those are pretty ghastly as well as being small packets compared with the Greek ones. Umpteen brands of Sea Salt & Black Pepper, but all taste much the same to me. Now way off topic. Let's get back to save our hides........ :)

I don't suppose the Smiths had any connection to the present day John Smiths? No, of course not!

Maurice :)

Hi Bobx, I lived at 76 Latimer st,I remember Eileen Bennet,I sometimes played with her younger sister.I am always looking for more photos of Latimer st.Happy memories.

Hi Denji

I've just seen your reply, It's hard to navigate this site or it's probably me. I caught chicken pox off Sandra Bennet, I remember my mom having a cat fight on one of the Bennets and seeing a clump of hair flying off one of them.
What school did you go to?
Thanks Bobx

hi bobx you should get an email alert letting you know if there has been a reply to threads that you have posted on so its advisable that you check your private emails from time to time..

lyn

Lyn - I have not had an email alert for a long time now. I have just checked and the box is ticked - it stopped fter one of the shutdowns when Warren was doing some "housework" - not that it bothers me as I am on here so often I see the alerts!!

yes jan i recall now that a lot of members stopped getting email alerts when the forum had problems...i dont think the problem was rectified then...i still get them but like you i am part of the furniture so miss very little:D

hi bob as said earlier i think this is a problem going back some time now...members are not receiving email alerts...all i can suggest is is you send a private message to warren who sorts out the technical side of things..he maybe able to help or advise you

lyn

It is worth checking the your Member name preference check boxes and the alert preferences check boxes. Computers, especially when updates and upgrades are made can change your chosen settings without your knowledge. Windows can be notorious for this trick.

Had done that - still no emails but, as I said before, not too bothered. I just mentioned it in case others do need emails. Alerts still work just no emails.

Back