• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

286 pershore road Birmingham

lynnspence

knowlegable brummie
I have the address 286 pershore rd on my birth certificate, having looked at google earth i can see the building has some kind of coat of arms on the front of it , look as i may i cant find what the building was used for around 1955-60 can anyone cast any light on what its use was. ?

HI LYN
I Personaly should know that one but at the moment i have abit of memory problem as i have just come out of hospital
but i would not be srprized if ourmike comes up with some think at this emediate moment the only first thing springs to my mind
and that could be the old office for the finace office for the ancient order of the royal worcestershire forresters regimentmental army
had it got any wall along the front of the building about five or six foot high which was the old secretary office and it was ran by a lady
whom defrauded the regiment as she was the secretary for years until a committe member thought some think was not right and called in the auditors
they spent six months in that building and finaly she was caught red handed she made them bankrupt and it was only when the society of old soldiers
went to there bank asking for a major loan only to be told you are penny less she had a live in acquaintence she kept as well it was a vast amount of money some think like fifty thousand pounds for sending her to prison was six months in jail and the boy friend got 12 months probation
and then they disapeared discusting is what the old people of selly park thought when i say old people , because i men there is new blood from them day=s that live in selly park since those days i could give you the culprits name but i cannot for legal reasons and they was name and shamed in the evening mail
as i saidit was a pity you have not put up the picturebut as uit stands unles mike puts the map on to give us the idea as to where it is
but i just cannot think at this precise moment ; best wishes Astonian;;;

Hi Lynn

I have had a look on Google and I can see no trace of 286 I think it has been replaced by new build apartments. According to Kelly's 286 was just past St Mary & St Ambrose church that is on the corner of Raglan Rd. In the 1950 Edition of Kelly's Directory 286 was listed as O'Neill Wm and in the 1962 edition it was not listed ay all.

Hi Lynn
I assume you are looking at Pershore Road South, Kings Norton, The building with the coat of arms is Kings Norton Library which is no. 278, Kings Norton Fencing is now 286 with Kings Norton Primary School next door.

Colin

Wow Astonian thats fired up a lot of interest, no dought ive a lot of reading to do to try and find the people responsible for this bad deed.
The building ive looked at does seem to have two crests or coat of arms on it , with something over the door/main entrance but this is coverd
with the name of the current users name. if i remember right it does have a low wall topped with a wooden fence.

HI LYNN
Yes lynn by judging what you have just said is it close to a corner rd on the pershore rd where you seen it
as regarding names i could tell you the name but not over the waves if you get my drift i do know the peoples names in question
and on release from prison they moved into norhfield well at least she did i can only presume he got his own flat from the probation assistance
as after all he was an home less person when she pulled him off the street and gave him a little spare box room and sent him to northfield DHSS office to claim as well for his bed and lodgings they laughed all the way to the bank for ten years or more before they was rummbled
my information comes from 1 st hand info as i seen for years the carrying ons and comunicated with them both within the offices of this bulding
it took a while for it to register with me before i relized the crack and there extra added bonus was the so and so was taking in old antiques from these old
soldiers personal property which she claimed they donated to there serving regiment the royal worcestershire forresters regiment
which the number of items was vast in quanty and in value and all she got was six months these old soldiers in the world wars fought there country and king as it was then; whereis the justice ; i reckom the judge of the case should have been sentence for his mistake in letting them off;astonian;

Assuming that it is Pershore Road South this is the entry for 280/288 Arindell Lewis Ernest, MB, CH B, MRCS, MRCP, Birmingham Corparation Education Department,(School Canteen )

I have the address 286 pershore rd on my birth certificate, having looked at google earth i can see the building has some kind of coat of arms on the front of it , look as i may i cant find what the building was used for around 1955-60 can anyone cast any light on what its use was. ?

Astonian.
This couple sounds a bad lot , do you know if she gave birth around 1958 then put the baby up for adoption.

Assuming that it is Pershore Road South this is the entry for 280/288 in the 1955 Directory Arindell Lewis Ernest, MB, CH B, MRCS, MRCP, Birmingham Corparation Education Department,(School Canteen )

Its use appear to change over the years this is the entry for 1930 from 282
Post M O T & T E D Office (Mrs Eleanor H Hedges , Sub (Postmist) Primitive Methodist Church (Kings Nortn) Birmingham Corparation Education Department Bye-Laws Sub office at 288 was the school caretaker

horsencart.
thanks for that, could explain the crests/coat of arms on the building. the lady i spoke to today said it used to be a kitchen/cookhouse, and the house next door
was the caretakers house which according to her is 286.

ive been trying to search for info on what Astonian told me but cant find any. can anyone point me in the right direction.

There's something odd about this. It sounds like this is about the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters regiment but in the 50s they would have been either the Worcestershire or the Sherwood Foresters. The W&SF doesn't exist before 1970. The current regiment has an association https://www.wfraworcester.com/ and museum https://www.wfrmuseum.org.uk/ on the web. Similiarly, it seems odd that they should have an office in Birmingham in the 50s considering the base of the regiments. They seem to have connections in Herefordshire and Notts even as the Worcestershires.

I think you can ignore Alan's option, this building now a day nursery was built as part of the school in 1878.
Do you have any other information from your birth certificate that may throw some light on the exact location, this building is located on Pershore Road SOUTH, the other 286, Pershore Road (the address you give first) would be by the junction of Edgaston Road by the Cricket Ground

Colin

The 1955 electoral roll lists the occupants on the roll as William & Margaret O'Neill, John Duffy, James Gahan & James Burke. The O'Neills were also there in 1950 & 1952. In 1952 , other than the O'Neills, there were 13 others (all men) registered there. The house is not listed in the 1955 kellys, nor on the 1957 electoral roll, appearing again in 1960

mikejee
It seems the more i find out, the less i know. at the moment i feel that ive run into a brick wall..but thanks for the info.

looking at the whole picture, it seems the person im looking for did her best to cover her tracks so to speak.

Last edited:
I was a bit dubious about the postal district B5 going up as far as Edgbaston Cricket Grounds so I checked it out on the map and it goes up as far as Pebble Mill. So it does look like it was the house that I originally looked up, and that as I stated has gone now. Though from what Mike has found out I would think it might have been a boarding house or even a small hotel.

Phil
it sounds like everything is dropping into place now, and a boarding house type of building would explain the amount of people living there.

Colin, my husband has just sold a LWB 2.8 , but held on to his 71 bobtail RR.

hi lynn
yes my emediate thought after it really is pershore road south as listed the one i am on about is pershore rd
just passing the old pebble mill there used to be a netted steel gate thats where the BBC social club was and just ajoining the gate there was the big
lawns and the wall i was on about the view you get as you are walking to the building along pershore rd passing the the BBC
is an extentension that was built in the eightys and used for functions and used by anybody whom wanted to hire it but the house that joines it
is the front door of it and end emediately the whol front on the corner was converted to little flats but the iron gates on the front and side was there
offices its quite surprizeing just how big a property it is but getting back to your house its called pershore rd south listed thats what thown me
i know where it is i pass it most days gong to my office in tyseley as i cut acroos the country and up over the licky hills
havea nice day best wishes Alan Astonian;;;

Back