• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1st Aeroplane Flight

I'm glad my first aeroplane flight did not end like this as shown in another aviation thread on the BHF ... always amazed when I look at the pics.
The plane had taken off from RAF Northholt during a snowstorm and only reached 300ft before starting to lose height because of snow on the wings. As it flew over Bourne School it got tangled in telephone wires and it's tail hit a British Restaurant which caused it to spin round and pancake on to houses resting on No 46 Angus Drive. The plane was full of fuel but did not explode and the only person injured was the pilot who bruised his knee. Irene Zigmund, whose house it was, told of the incredible escape of herself and her 4-month old-son David, who was asleep in his cot upstairs when the plane landed on the house.
In the early 1950s travelling to Richmond in London we use to drive on the main road past Northolt airport and often saw the old piston engine airliners seeming to struggle to gain height after take off from the airport. Two pics below of a DC3 which landed on a house after take off in December 1946 reminds me of those days ... not a single window in the house was broken !
index.php

index.php

Jim, I flew for business from 1970 through 2015, sometimes 5 or 6 flights per week. in the 70's & 80's flying was good especially as my career developed and flew first class. now the service is not so good, I went to China in 2016 economy plus, plenty to drink but no leg room. Last year we went to Europe for our 50th anniversary, I am a 2 million miler on American Airlines, does not mean much anymore. I do not miss it anymore. Miss the hustle and bustle but that's it.

Oldbrit , I flew 3 times in Tiger moths and they always seem to be painted yellow. What I like you are in the front and the pilot is behind, makes you think you are flying it, also like the way its open to the elements

Most of my flying was during my RAF service 1948-56 (5000 hours +), I found it much enjoyable as crew than as passenger and I loved the old prop driven rather than the modern jet. Eric

My first flight was Elmdon (Always will be to me) to Middleton St George, now Tees side airport in 1965 in Dragon Rapide G-AJKW owned by Midfly. I was just a young spotter in those days. My older friend at that time worked for Midfly and asked if i would like to fly up to the airshow there and help with the pleasure flying at the airshow. To my surprise they even payed me £1-10 shillings. Been intrested in aircraft ever since. Ive flown in so many types since to numerous to mention. Everything from a weight shift microlite (a kind of powered hang glider) to Concorde from Elmdon. Hope to be flying tomorrow in a Piper Aztec from Wellesbourne to Bembridge Isle of White weather permitting.

My first ever holiday flight was Elmdon to Guernsey with IIRC British Midland Airways on a twin prop in 1960. As we (mom and I) walked on the stewardesses were giving out sick bags and barley sugar sweets because they expected turbulence which as it turned out never happened...happy days :)

1667431888066.jpeg
My first flight (hover only) was in this. My first job in the US was at Curtis Wright in the weight and balance group then flight test. This was an experimental tilt rotor aircraft, only two were made.

only ever been i one small fixed wing.
My first flight (hover only)
For a significant birthday, Julie took me down to Exeter airport. I didn't know why, but planes were probably involved. She had booked me a trial flight in a helicopter. I didn't quite cotton on until the instructor came over and took me out to the little chopper, a Robinson 2 seater. Had a good time flying around, the instructor giving me control of the cyclic stick to steer it about a bit, he kept control of the collective lever. When we came to land, he put it about 2m above the ground and asked me to try and keep it there. No way could I do that, although I did try. He then took it over to the refuelling point and let it down on the concrete with such nonchalance. Skill shows.

When I was working in Surrey, a colleague had a private pilots licence, and one lunchtime he asked me and another colleague if we fancied a quick flight, as he wanted to keep his hours up. That was in a little fixed wing that he had a share in. We went over to Redhill aerodrome, quite close by, and had a pleasant 40 minutes coasting about. Gatwick air space was quite close, and he had to be careful to stay out of it. That was using a grass runway, and landing was quite fun compared to the take off. Because of where it is, close to Gatwick, Redhill had a resident air traffic controller, and we spent an interesting few minutes in his 'office' chatting to him.

Andrew.

The first and only time I had hands on aircraft controls was during national service in the RAF was in the right seat of a two seat Provost trainer on air test from RAF Feltwell. I was enjoying the view when the pilot needed to fill in a check list and asked me to take the stick and keep it straight and level.
Having flown radio controlled models I willingly took control and flew along until a large bank of cloud loomed in front and I asked the pilot whether I should go round it or through it. He said go through it so into the cloud I went not able to see anything but being an instrument fitter could read the instruments and kept the wings level.
I failed to notice that we were climbing slightly and speed was dropping. The pilot finished his notes and asked me if I knew how to recover from an uncontrolled stall inside clouds but then took the controls and threw it all over the sky with loops, stall turns, and spiral dives ... what a flight that was !
Percival_Provost_NL.jpg

Last edited:
Back