• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1960s Record Shop, Sandon Road, Bearwood

chascox78

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember the name of the small record shop that used to be near the crossroads at the Bearwood end of Sandon Road?
Does anyone have a photo of it?

I have this photo but I dont know if its where the shop was. (probably way before the time)

I thought that that block of shops on Bearwood Road was all Co-Op so was surprised to see Fosters on the blinds. I believe the record shop was the first shop on that side along Sandon Road. I also remember a music and record shop on Bearwood Road at the first junction on the right as you go along the road towards Smethwick

Thanks everyone. Yes, my memory was that the record shop was probably the first one "on the right" along Sandon Road. On Carolina's photo it wuld have been next to that old car. I don't think it was called Sounds Easy. Sounds Easy was on the other side of Sandon Road and much later on, maybe it moved across the road at some point?

A couple of points that the photo brought to mind. The Corporation bus at the terminus of the no. 6 route in the turning circle. This was right at the city boundary. Also by the bus shelter was a branch of the Municipal Bank. Both of these had to be inside the city boundary for legal reasons. The bus terminus because of the agreement between the city and the Midland Red and the bank because the city council had to get an act of parliament which they later did to open branches of the bank outside the city boundary.

Back