• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1960s & 1970s buildings

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a favourite 60s or 70s Birmingham building? Or do you just loathe anything built in that period? Viv.

Thanks for the photos Ell. It's surprising that there are still quite a few 60s/70s buildings around given their reputation. My votes go to AlphaTower and the Rotunda for the reason that 'modern' can be well designed and interesting, without being a total eyesore. It looks like Auchinleck Hse has been jazzed up - or was that colourful panel always there? I remember thinking the roof on that building was it's saving grace. Viv.

I think they changed the artwork on Auchinleck from the '60s version. Meanwhile the Five Ways Shopping Centre below is awaiting redevelopment.

For some reason No 1 Hagley Road reminds me of Thunderbird 1 (especially with that number 1 on it).

See what you mean Ell by Thunderbirds 1 ! I hadn't noticed tbe numbers at the top if the building until you pointed them out. I expect maybe that's a good thing as I was drawn towards the overall design of the building. I like it. Viv.

Yeah it has a no 1 on the top of it.

Whenever I walk past Broadway (where Tesco, Five Ways is) it is too close to get shots of it.

A bit like this walking past it.

Broadway by ell brown, on Flickr

This is the only distance shot I've got of Broadway - from the middle of Five Ways Island.

Broadway by ell brown, on Flickr

Amazing photos Ell just shows how little is seen as I drive around maybe partly due to familiarity. Some of the buildings [as photographed by you] remind me of some I photographed in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo and thought then how good the buildings looked.

I've been trying to find a photo of the Britannic Assurance building in Moor Green Lane, Moseley - a place I worked in and is, I think, also an interesting building - but can't find one. So if anyone has one, would love to see it. Viv.

I cannot think of anything in that period that appeals to me with the exception of Fountain Court in Steelhouse Lane, most modern buildings seem to rely on Glass, concrete and Chrome, what is wrong with brick, stone, slate, terracotta and other traditional materials. Perhaps its the artist in me but that is how I feel and I cannot be alone. Eric

That photo of Fountain Court's brought back some memories. I worked there too. I had an office looking onto the court. There was a fountain in the court through the square archway. I seem to vaguely remember the fountain had a statue on top. The sound of the fountain had a very relaxing effect. Nice place to work. There used to be a great sandwich shop along that stretch, did delicious cheese and onion rolls!! Often used to go in the Queens(?) Head opposite. Didn't know Fountain Court was a 60s/70s building. Viv.

The Queen's Head is now The Jekyll & Hyde.

Comparison with the old Victorian and the 1960s replacement of The Queen's Head (Replacement)

queens_head2C_steelhouse_lane.jpg

In early 2010

The Jekyll & Hyde, Steelhouse Lane (formerly The Queen's Head)
by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

I took new shots yesterday of the windows on the first floor. By the looks of it, they have painted it purple right up to the top floor (was only half done last year)

Jekyll & Hyde - Hendrick's Gin - Steelhouse Lane
by ell brown, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
A photo of Britannic Court after the makeover I'm afraid, and also of the fountain in Fountain Court.

Phil

BritannicCourt.jpg
CitySteelhouseLaneFountainCourt.jpg

That's fantastic. Thanks so much Phil and Ell for those. Good to see Fountain Court, with fountain too. Even better, my office was to the left of the fountain! Fantastic. Have some very happy memories working there. Also lovely to see the Britannic building. When I worked there, there was a large expanse of green in front of the building. Looks like there are new buildings on the green now. It used to be a great view from the building across the green. Then at Christmastime Britannic would erect a massive Christmas tree in that area. I think perhaps the roof has been altered but that looks better to me than how I remember it. That side view gives it a Bath Crescent appearance, well almost!! Many thanks.

That's the pub I remember Ell. Wonder why they decided to call it the J & H ? Striking paintwork too. Just along from the pub on the right was an entrance to an underground parking area, I think, for the Post Office. There used to be a Post Office just around the corner, but I think that's all been re-developed now. Viv.

There is still a playing field for cricket from the Moor Green Lane end.

I found various modern apartments from Yew Tree Road though.

No problem.

hi viv..i will have a search round for you...

lyn

Hi Lyn. Hope you're enjoying the lonnnnnnng bank holiday! If you do come across a Britannic Building pic pre-development, I'd still love to see it. I'm now testing my memory, as I can't quite remember that roof on Phil's more recent photo. It would have been quite a plain looking building without that style of roof. Thanks. Viv.

hi guys i passed the brittanic building appartments and it looks great now with the apparments better loking those yuppys on broad street and the others behind broad street
when they are all it up its a good view i would not mind living there myself
i bet they are expensive to live in ; --- as anybody got any ideas has to how much they cost to live in
best wishes astonian

hi guys i passed the brittanic building appartments and it looks great now with the apparments better loking those yuppys on broad street and the others behind broad street
when they are all it up its a good view i would not mind living there myself
i bet they are expensive to live in ; --- as anybody got any ideas has to how much they cost to live in
best wishes astonian

Was thinking the same Astonion. They must be very nice apartments inside with a great view if Moseley. Seems funny that a place you once worked in is now someones home. The section I worked in could now be someones kitchen or bathroom!! The office was the first open plan office I'd worked in. And the desks were laid out to a particular plan. It was obvious who our Team Leader was because his desk was set at right angles to the rest of the team and he used to have one of those special chairs that was on a spring. He used to lean back on this 'bendy' chair and we all looked forward to the day that the spring would snap! Viv.

hi viv ;
even in its hay day of time it was a spectactular building and grounds to look at and admire it nice to know they never actulay destroyed the building
and it as a well lit and under ground parking you can see from yew tree lane ; fantasic good word i can say and agree with the planning department for once
i have experience with the planning dept in previous years but i have to say yes on this one occasion to them ;
astonian

Back