• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

162 brearley st..newtown

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
would someone be able to post a map showing brearley st and if possible pinpoint where number 162 would have been....

thank you

lyn:):):)

Lyn
No 162 was on the south side between Hospital St and Great Russell St. i attach a map showing Brearley st c 1913. I am not clear as to which of the two buildings marked in red were no 162. I must have been one of them, The Rose and crown pub marked nearby is no 154, and even numbers wedre on the south side (after about 1880)
mike

map_c_1913_no_162_brearley_st_.jpg

thank you mike...if the rose and crown was 154 i am going to go and have a look at a pic i have..its shows the pub and a gap where houses would have been..cant be far off 162 i think...

thanks again....

lyn:):)

I should think so. the reason there is the doubt as to which on the map is because I don't know if the rose & Crown counted as two plots (154 plus 156) or not.
Mike

mike the pic ive got shows a large gap then two more houses...well the first on looks like it was a shop...i wonder could you look in a kellys to see what number that shop may have been..i am now going to scan the pic i have and post it

thanks...

lyn:)

hi mike....here the pic....surely 162 is just visible....please say it is....:D:D this one is for claire brum....

158, 164 and 168 all seem to be listed as a shop at some time, but in each case it just says "Shopkeeper"
Mike

thanks mike...so looking at my pic would you say 162 would have been in the empty space...

Lyn
The space is about equivalent in length with that side of the pub. On the map the two houses next two the pub are also equivalent in length to that side of the pub. The OS maps are to scale, so the "hole" must be the two houses next to the pub (sorry if I'm being a bit pondersome, its my scientific training). therefore the two houses still there are the two I've marked in red. In fact you can see the entrance to the court behind between them, which is also shown on the map between the two red houses. Therefore one of them is no 162 , I just don't know which
mike

bingo then mike..so one of the two visible houses on the pic is 162...and claires ancestors house....how marvelous you are...i really dont know what we would do without you...:):):):)

thanks everso much..claire will be happy...

Claire is very happy now she understands, it was all going over the top of my head there lol Whooop whoop :) be great if she was stood in the window at the time, would have made it far easier lolololol

claire...mike did the same for me last week with a shop our dads mom ran in well st..i had a pic that just showed it...but without mike i could not be certain...

Theres another one for yer album....

Cheers again mike...

Lyn:)

claire i forgot to say that mom and dad live opposite where your familys house was....as that part of brearley st runs through what is now the back area of uxbridge st....

Not so far they haven't lol Took me two years to find Nanny Martha as noone really knew much about her, now i have a pic of her house :) just need someone who knew of her and find out more about her, that would really make my day :)

im still hoping someone will remember my lucy harrington:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: led me a merry dance she has....lucy the elusive i call her...:D:D:D

Martha was a bit like that, but theN had the remaining family not thought she was Welsh and born in Wales it would have made things easier... she was from Gloucester, I got her Marriage certificate and after 3 hours with a cousin of a cousin on GR he found her, she'd also said she was 19 when she was 16! think it may have been a shot gun wedding lol Would love to find her in 1901 and 1911 but i can't, she isn't anywhere :(

Claire
Is your martha Martha Chadwick? She is listed on the electoral roll for 1930 and 1935. but had gone by 1939 . Before that, in 1920 and 1925 it is listed as William and Annie Chadwick. In 1920 and 25 at the back (no 1 court 27) were Annie & William Fewtrell, a good old brummie name
Mike

That's the one Mike, she had business's and all sorts, dad remembered Saturday at the Amble that one of the family had a cafe there, i am wondering if it was her.. she disappears from 1899 when she got married until 1920 when she is in Brearley Street, i have checked the 1901 and 1911 and i can't find her anywhere :( one of the cousins mentioned Wainwright Street but i've found no evidence, she had a few shops and a cafe in the city centre too, she certainly didn't want to be found lol

Claire
There is a Martha Chadwick listed as a burgess (don’t ask me) on the electoral roll (not entitled to vote ) at 39 Hall Road handsworth. She is also listed in kellys (as Mrs Chadwick) at that address in 1900, 1904, 1908,1912, 1913 , but has gone by 1921. In 1899 the occupant of no 39 is listed as Arthur Chadwick, who was not there in 1896.
This looks as if it would fit
mike

Hmmmm that is very interesting Mike, thanks for looking that up (hopefully someone will know what a Burgess is) , it must be her, as she is in Brearley Street in 1920 so her moving from there would fit, she was born 1883 so by 1913 she'd have been eligable to vote so should show from then, someone did find her for me on Brearley Street under Annie, so wonder if she is listed before that as Annie, her husband was William.. i'm going to check my info to see if i can find who Arthur i s:) years of brickwalls look like they are finally tumbling, thanks Mike you're a star :)

Burgess. A Town official similar to a councillor today. Orrigiionally a townsman representing an important town in parliament. ( from a dictionary of old trades ttles and occupations )

Thanks Mike, well that's a turn up for the books, never thought she'd have had a job like that, but then she was an enterprising woman from what i have been told, still can't find her 1901 census tho for Handsworth, strange :stare:

She is on the 1901 census. No sure how its transcribed, but got it from going for an unusual name (Godsill) just down the road and worked back. Its on ancestry Handsworth district 17 p. 11
At 39 there’s Charles, 61 and Martha, 57, Charles is a Webb(?) belt maker footware and an employer and he is born wednesbury and she is born in Redditch. Also there is neice. Dorothy Palmer (15) a merchants clerk also born in redditch
Next door at no 41 is Arthur Chadwick (32) and Annie Till Chadwick (31) with daughter Dorothy Louise Chadwick (1) Arthur born wednesbury and annie in St Georges, salop.
It was me who said that the electoral roll put annie at no 162 in 1920 and 25 with William. Seems a lot of similar names in all this
If you want copies of any of the things then IM me your e-mail and I’ll send them to you. I got told off once by one member when I put a census page on the forum (not by admin) so am reluctant to put them on direct.
mike.

Thanks for that Mike i'll go and take a look I saw the Arthur and Annie Till one earlier so if i go into that one i should find the other one by scrolling threw the pages :)

Claire- brum71, Thanks for your PM`S, your G/Dad was a fellow worker & friend at Lucas, three of us shared a bench, Jack, myself & Jim Houston an electrician who has lived 27yrs in Torquay he has recently got in touch, a happy coincidence!, i met your G/Mother and i presume your Dad is John, in the photo i am standing on the left of Jack.Len.

Hi Len, yes my dad is John, he is a member of the forum (Tiny is his user name), but he has little time to post much. How great is that you knew Grandad, we still have that signed leaving scroll. I shall let dad know he will be pleased :)

Hello Claire i remember your grandad with fondest memories,he myself and Len all shared a bench together,his sense of humour was second to none.Jim

Back