• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

147 Park Road, Hockley

allanp

Brummie babby
Hi. I am trying to find any information on my Wife's Great, Great, Grandmother, Bathsheba Rabone. Kelly's Directory for 1921 is showing the following information. I would be grateful for any help or advise as to where I can find out what kind of shop it was and of course the "Holy Grail" a photograph of the shop front. Regards Allan
Bathsheba Rabone
RegionBirmingham
Residence Year1921
Publication Title1921 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham
OccupationShopkeeper
Street Address147 Park rd. Hockley

This is a map from 1950...

0 - Park Road.jpg

There is a long thread that contains memories and photos of Park Road, including one of Orford Road possibly showing the garden of 147 and a post by maggieuk that suggests that one of the houses on the corner, I assume 147 or 141 (not specified) was a grocery shop...

I lived at 2/208 Park Road and just below between Abbey St & Goode St was the Rabone Rule Factory? is this a link to the name Rabone ?

Hi. I am trying to find any information on my Wife's Great, Great, Grandmother, Bathsheba Rabone. Kelly's Directory for 1921 is showing the following information. I would be grateful for any help or advise as to where I can find out what kind of shop it was and of course the "Holy Grail" a photograph of the shop front. Regards Allan
Bathsheba Rabone
RegionBirmingham
Residence Year1921
Publication Title1921 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham
OccupationShopkeeper
Street Address147 Park rd. Hockley
The 1921 census does not mention shopkeeper but lists her as Rabone Coal Dealer at Winson Green Wharf

At Winson Green and Thimblemill Lane, perhaps related to George junior.

Attachments

• rabone-thimblemill-lane.jpg
    rabone-thimblemill-lane.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if it is the same guy but as kids we used to go to the wharf off Lodge Road ( just past BOC) on a Saturday morning when folk used to go and collect coal from the barge, they used to have hand trucks with steel wheels that they would fill with coal and the customer would have to pay 3p deposit for the return of the truck, we would wheel the truck to their house's and tip the coal, take the truck back and we would have the 3p. Thinking now of todays "little snowflakes" if they were to say they were going to shovel coal by the canal and take it to a strangers house for 3p I wonder what the Parents would say?

Last edited:
Back