• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

111-120 Icknield Street, soon to be demolished

Virusman26

master brummie
After a wander around the old Ashton&Moore factory this morning I went down the road to these shops/houses.

IMGP2382.jpg

IMGP2381.jpg

IMGP2380.jpg

IMGP2377.jpg

IMGP2376.jpg

IMGP2375.jpg

:sick:
IMGP2384.jpg

Does anyone know any history, or if they were ever back-to-backs? I didn't venture in too far in these, as there was fresh blood from druggies all over the place. Good job they're being pulled down this week I'd say!!

hi niel...those were the buildings me and me bro went in last boxing day...all the pics are under the ICKNEILD STREET ALERT thread....far as i know they were not back to backs...so they go this week then....shame they couldnt be saved...theve been left to rot for donkeys years.....

cheers..

lyn

Looks that way. They've started work on the glass factory on Moreton Street, and the rest of the buildings up to the George and Dragon pub are mostly gone. At least English Heritage are working on the conversion of J W Evens! I could hear the workers while I was in Ashton & Moore!!!!

neil..what building were those pics from...did you get in from the back...

lyn

I sure did Lyn, from Moreton Street side, next to the huge bill-board. I saw as much as I wanted when I spotted all the blood. I figured I might wake someone if I went any further, and the exit was quite slippery, so I didn't fancy having to run away!!!

we must have missed those neil...we did the rimini cafe building if memory serves me.....im tempted to go have a look at where you were but will heed you warning and let good sense prevail.....goes against the grain though..lol...at least we have your pics...

stay safe...

lyn

You too Lyn. To be honset I don't think it's worth the risk. I've been in some death-trap buildings, but that one I just got a bad vibe from. Be VERY careful if you do go back. And make sure you go with someone. I went alone which is even more stupid in hindsight.

think i will give going back miss.....i was pushing me luck last time...

Lyn

Hi Virusman. As mentioned in my previous post,my Lewis family lived at 6/114 Icknield St in 1881.The Victorian Society of Brum tried to save these back to backs but failed. Having seen the site I think they must have been built in the ground at the back of the shops, not attached to shops.There are 8 houses listed on Familysearch.org (Mormon website) at back of 114,on their 1881 census records.No 114 was a confectioner's at that time.

Here's a lovely old photo of the area. Even the Mint has gone now! I notice they have kept one of the Mint chimney's. Thanks to Mac Joseph.

Fantastic photo Wendy, thanks!!! That really shows how the area looked back in the day. Just what I try and picture when I go around these buildings!

I went to Key Hill Cemetery today and drove round but no sign of anything happening to the area yet. My husband took me on a tour of old parts of Brum the problem was as I was driving I missed most of it!

thanks for reminding us of bygone days wendy...ive always liked that pic....theres a cracking pic in ted rudges new book of the old railway bridge that was in ickneild st coming from lodge road..god the times ive walked under that bridge with our mom up to the shops at spring hill...i used to think at the time it was the most scariest thing...it was dark...damp and the noise of the the trains rushing overhead....memories ehh...

lyn

Hello Lynn.

The photograph you mention, Icknield Street Bridge coming from Lodge Road, Do you mean from the direction of the Flats?

And if so, does the photograph show the bridge and part of Hockley GWR railway station?

Kind regards.

Dibs

hi dibbs...yes its coming from the flat going towards spring hill... there are some high building to the left of the bridge and the buildings that are actually on the bridge are the offices belonging to the railway goods yard.looking at the cars going under the bridge i would say the pics was taken in the 50s...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lynn, i have been looking for that particular image for a number of years.

Cheers.

dibs

hi dibbs..is this the one...just noticed if you look carefully you can see through to the other end of the bridge....must say this is another of my favourites....i couldnt scan the pic as the book wont lie flat so had to take a pic of it with the camera..the second one may be slightly better....

lyn

Last edited:
Alas and sadly no Lyn, this image is taken approaching the GWR railway bridge from the Spring Hill, The Mint direction, in this image you can see Pitsford Street on the left and right as you go under and come out of the bridge you would have Park Street and Hockley GWR railway station entrance on your left and Key Hill cemetary would be on your right hand side, and further down the Flats and Key Hill itself.

The image I have been searching for would be taken from the opposite side of the railway bridge approaching from The Flats and Key Hill, Ron "Smudge" Smith did one of his paintings from the elusive image I am searching for.

But thank you kindly for taking the time and trouble to photograph and show me the image, although in itself a wonderfully evocative image.

Cheers.

Ray

And this is Ron "Smudge" Smith's painting, albeit a very poor copy taken from a thumbnail on the "Old Ladywood" site.

ah ah ray...yes i can now see that its pitsford st either side...thanks for correcting me on that one...shame its not the one you wanted but i shall keep me eyes open for any more for you...thanks for the others pic..thats one i hadnt got...

lyn

I sure did Lyn, from Moreton Street side, next to the huge bill-board. I saw as much as I wanted when I spotted all the blood. I figured I might wake someone if I went any further, and the exit was quite slippery, so I didn't fancy having to run away!!!

Virusman, Moreton Street is where I grew up and I am so sad that those buildings in Icknield St where we shopped for everything are finally going. I remember playing marbles up against Pearce and Cutler Glass works. There was a bombed site at the back of it where we used to make mud pies. How very very sad. Maggs

hi dibbs...this pic is looking towards the flat but i dont think its the one you are after...sorry i had to scan this in two parts as the scanner is not long enough to do it in one...you will have to imagine it as one long pic..apologies if its been posted before....

lyn..

hi maggs..looking at the cars maybe early 60s....someone might be able to help be more precise...

lyn...

hi maggs..looking at the cars maybe early 60s....someone might be able to help be more precise...

lyn...

Think you're about right there with the dates.
I think I can see the back of a Triumph Herald,and sure hey didn't come out before the 60s.

great...makes a change for me to it right...

lyn

A good historian uses clues,and you've proved yourself to be very apt.Not just here,but on other threads.

We could add it's before 1971,as an advert for butter in the window is in pre decimal currency....that's my brainwave gone for the week lol.

Cortina mark 2,parked to the right of the van.Wasn't so sure myself without a second opinion,and yes they were built up to 1970,when the mark 3 came out.

Well spotted.

Back